SmartThings Community

Hub Firmware Release Notes - 24.20

(Nigel Williams) #183

Well here is my ten peneth

STT has been a great introduction for me into the world of home automation.
My devices include
10 STT Outlets
1 STT Moisture sensor
23 STT Motion Sensors, mix of v1, v2 and 2x v3
4 STT Multi sensors
3 STT Presence Sensors
6 LIFX Bulbs
3 Fibaro Door/Window Sensors
9 Fibaro Double Switch 2 FGS-223
1 Fibaro Double Switch FGS 222
6 Fibaro Single Switch 2 FGS-213
1 Fibaro Multi-sensor
1 Ring Doorbell Pro

I have adopted a mix of Smart Lighting SmartApps and webCoRE to automate many use cases.

I also use 45 Simulated Switches for various things like simple switch to encapsulate multiple motion sensors in a room, encapsulate real switches to automate room modes, Cleaning, Movie, Guest, Vistors modes etc
Oh yes Alexa, Battery Monitor, Genius Hub, IFTTT, LIFX, Harmony, ring integrations as well.

Overall this has been a relatively painless journey thanks to STTs friendly interface and integrations and with CoRE and then webCoRE providing a very reliable platform to develop the use cases to automate.

Now I am at a crossroads, and questioning the fundamental dependency of STT on cloud/ internet.
Also more recently this decision has been highlighted even more by the recent poor firmware updates pushed by the STT team and the train crash of the SmartThings Connect app.
A member of the support team even suggested turning on OTA to ‘improve’ the STT motion sensors I have. Little did I know the device firmware ‘upgrades’ would involve so many replacement batteries.

I am rambling now but to conclude thanks to STT for the introduction to Home automation. It has been amazing but I am now gravitating away. As someone here stated earlier Home Automation should indeed be that, local, secure and safe and not totally dependent on the cloud.

Can someone more eloquent than me kindly explain why the STT hub has to utilise the cloud to turn a local zwave switch on when a motion event is generated from a zigbee motion sensor? Isnt that the responsibility of the hub?

Anycase I am ‘tinkering’ with a Raspberry Pi and hass.io and MQTT to explore an alternative perception on Home Automation. This will provide access to the devices I have on STT before considering my next steps. Has anyone else here done this? Experiences? Advice?

Oh I am awaiting a Hubitat hub to be delivered. Then I will remove a few of the various devices from STT and move across to the Hubitat to run some initial tests and automations.
Has anyone done this as well? Suggestions? Pointers? Advice is always welcomed.

So thank you STT but I feel now I am moving away…

Happy New Year to you all

I am also getting very close to moving to hubitat. My (small) network going down 2x and all devices disconnecting while I’ve been home for holidays in December has just about made the decision for me. I was getting more thumbs up for expansion, this has hurt the excitement to move more to HA/SH. This all started happening with my hub after the 24.20 upgrade.

Lack of formal, timely support is also a challenge, but I understand the formal support network is not funded by a subscription model. You get what you pay for. Thank goodness for this community.

Good luck on your transition, curious to hear the story.

(Paul Osborne) #185

It does not require the cloud once the automations/devices are joined and set up. As things exist today, there are a few things that must be true for things to run locally:

1. All devices involved in an automation must be run locally. The majority of the most common zigbee/z-wave devices using stock DTHs typically meeting this criteria.
  2. The automation must be something like a Smart Lighting automation that generates behaviors that can be interpreted by the local execution engine on the hub.

See https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-us/articles/209979766-Local-processing.

You said “something like a Smart Lighting automation…” but my understanding is that at the present time, the only automations that can run locally are smart lighting and some parts of smart home monitor. Nothing else. And that no custom code can run locally. It’s only those features that smartthings has decided to distribute in firmware to all smartthings customers.

Just as one example, mode changes cannot be done locally. Also, Smart Home Monitor cannot be armed or disarmed locally, except for the ADT/smartthings hub model.

Has that changed? Otherwise, while it’s “something like a Smart Lighting automation” from an engineer’s perspective, from the customer’s perspective it’s really just smart lighting and some bits of smart home monitor.

(Nigel Williams) #187

So given that I use custom handlers for my zwave Fibaro [Dual | Single] 2 switches this is the main issue?
They are excellent handlers provided by erocm123,
erocm123 : Fibaro Dimmer 2
erocm123 : Fibaro Double Switch 2 FGS-223
erocm123 : Fibaro Single Switch 2 FGS-213

Are there stock DTHs then for these switches?

(Jimmy) #188

I’m guessing Z-wave Dimmer Switch Generic, Z-wave Dual Switch, and Z-wave Dimmer Switch Generic would work. All but the dual would run local.

(Paul Osborne) #189

Yes, you are right, these are currently the only ones that will currently result in automations that can run locally. While I am also a SmartThings customer, the way I think and talk about the system can often be a bit different due to how I look at the system as an engineer working on the guts.

(Nigel Williams) #190

erocm’s work creates 2x child devices for the Dual switches
how would I migrate across to the generic zwave dual switch you mention please?

Been there, done that many times (although for a different company, of course). Once spent 35 minutes trying to explain to a customer why “turn off“ wasn’t the same thing as “cut the power“ to a network device. :wink:

(Jimmy) #192

the z-wave dual switch does this too. The only thing you should lose are the device configuration settings. You can use Eric’s handler to set those, then witch over to the stock SmartThings one so the device runs local. Although since the dual switch doesn’t run local, you wouldn’t really gain anything from using the SmartThings handler for that device.

(Nigel Williams) #193

I have changed over the Fibaro Single switches to zware switch generic and all good

What do you recommend as right device type for my simulated switches so they are local?
eg. I use a simulated switch to encapsulate 2+ motion sensors and use a SmartLighting rule to execute

(Tony Fleisher) #194

I believe the virtual switches (see virtual switch creator smartapp) run local

(Nigel Williams) #195

As I am currently using the Simulated Switch type currently, so what do you all recommend as a device type to run stuff locally?

What I meant to say earlier was I am encapsulating 2+ motion sensors to activate/deactivate a simulated switch currently using a Smart Lighting app

(Jimmy) #196

“virtual switch” runs local

(Nigel Williams) #197

Got it and thank you all.

Happy New Year to all the contributors and staff here

Support confirmed a hw issue causing my problems. New hub coming. At least a little less frustration at the fw updates right now.

(Nigel Williams) #199

So is there any reason why a zwave dual switch cant run locally?
I have now changed the single switches and dimmers to the stock DTHs and also changed all the simulated switches across to virtual switches and virtual dimmer switches.

Can someone explain the ‘Enable local child app discovery’ checkbox on the SmartApps and children please?
When all the devices in a Smart Lighting Child app are able to run locally, how can I determine if they are running locally?

(Alwas) #200

Try pulling the ethernet cable from the ST hub, then if they still work, it’s local.

(Nigel Williams) #201

So here is an example of one of the SmartApps
Where BathroomMotion is a virtual switch that encapsulates 2 STT Motion Sensors.
So all 3 of these devices are Local and only dependent on the current mode.

Apart from disconnecting the ethernet cable to the STT hub how can I determine if this is indeed running locally now? I’ll have a search through for guidelines on running SmartApps locally…any advice is welcomed

(Paul Osborne) #202

Go to IDE > My Locations > Installed SmartApps. The execution location (cloud/local) should be displayed in the overview as well as in the developer options when you select an item.