Hub Firmware Release Notes - 18.18

Hi Paul,

The issue with adding zigbee devices (at the very least the Xiaomi sensors) and ST not receiving a checking from them is still happening. I added all mine back on using the Catchall method and still the same thing, they all drop off after an hour. This did NOT happen prior to the Hub F/w update so really unless the DH needs to be updated (what has changed in the hub f/w if this is the case) then it must be down to the hub or some changes made to the cloud.

I have asked above but as a test to determine if it is the f/w or not are you able to push the previous version to my hub? I have 15 new sensors sitting here most of which I have already mounted and they are useless! Would greatly appreciate a reply and if you have any further info please?

Anyone in the UK or EU have a new zigbee (non Xiaomi) device, preferable a door or motion sensor they can add to the system to see if it remains online after an hour please.

There are several of us who are seeing our newly added Xiaomi sensors drop off after an hour even though the same sensors did not do so prior to this update. My though is that since the update the hub no longer completes the pairing process correctly with the sensors which it did previously but it would be great to see if this is happening with a different brand of sensor.

Thanks.

Mark.

ST doesn’t have a professional version, but postponing an update would be nice.

Right I’ve have my ST for about 6 months no real problems - Lots of ST multi / motion sensors, couple of Fibaro 2 Dimmers. - WAS REALLY HAPPY!! :sunglasses:

Received email not for the first time saying FW is being updated; but I was going away anyway come back today to find all my ST sensors were all offline; The only things that were online was the dimmers. :rolling_eyes:

Had to rest all the sensors one by one
 removing the battery and forcing a rest on them. Batteries were all around 50/60% now I’ve got them all back online a couple of sensor are showing 1% :scream:

NOT GOOD UPDATE FIRMWARE AT THE MIN LOOKING AT THIS!

Welcome to the Club Kev!

Out of interest where are you located please?

I think I got lightly compared to yourself. I only have one sensor that is reporting either 1% or 17%, it seems to change this value at will, oh and it is Samsungs own Multi Sensor lol. Only one of my ZW5’s dropped to 1% but then came back up after a while. Luckily none of them went offline.

Someone posted above that these battery issues were reported in Beta testing so I am really confused as to why this update was pushed to production. I mean, imagine what other users are going through, ones that are not on here or do not have enough technical knowledge etc. There is also mention that these battery issues may settle down but in reality they should not be there in the first place.

Being a solutions architect for over 25 years this would not have gone down well had I been running the upgrade, well not for me at any rate lol.

Best of luck mate!

And wouldn’t you have had an immediate (tested) roll back plan in case the rollout didn’t go perfectly?
That’s the only way to mitigate the risk involved

1 Like

Absolutely, yet one of the engineers comments above clearly states that there is no such plan :scream:

Sounds like there needs to be more U.K. beta testers. I’m still rock steady.

@smartthings Software Engineers / PM’s! Is anyone currently working on these issues?

The update has clearly broken adding at the very least Xiaomi sensors as no one had an issue previously yet with the latest Hub f/w and/or amendments to the Cloud config they drop off after an hour without fail. We all appreciate that they are not officially supported sensors however they did previously work and people have invested a lot of money in them, not to mention the people who are still waiting delivery.
As mentioned above in this thread, the sensors are not completing the pairing process properly, and the checkin not being established, well as this worked before then surely it is the f/w that is preventing the process to complete properly. This has been confirmed by numerous people from the UK, Poland and a few other locations around Europe who did not have this issue prior to the update.

Please could someone comment if this is being looked at? To be honest it is pretty unacceptable that there has not been any official word on the numerous issues caused by this update yet alone a roll back plan put in place. People rely on the system and not being able to add sensors and the numerous battery issues is a pretty bad show especially considering that the battery issues were allegedly reported during Beta testing. Also who exactly tested this release because they clearly did not test adding what is becoming one of the most popular sensors to the system.

I think we would appreciate some official word on the matter.

Thanks!

@smartthings_support @SmartThings_CX_Team

2 Likes

Morning Mark, I’m from the UK.

I am going to completely remove the sensors that are showing 1% battery today and re-add them again to see if that makes any difference. The only thing is, like I stated in my previous post yesterday after resetting all sensors to get them back online; but these sensors are now showing 100% battery but they were and should be between 50 or 60%

I’ve had a few false alarms during the night and early hours - Never had any problems previously!

We would indeed appreciate some offcial word on this matter - 5 Days on since the update and very little information apart from this community. @smartthings_support @SmartThings_CX_Team

1 Like

If I’m not mistaken, battery level only reports 1, 17, 33, 67 and 100%. Tom Manley from ST Engineering team explained how battery level is measured here

https://community.smartthings.com/t/hub-firmware-18-x-beta/90824/121

1 Like

Hi Kevin,

Do not believe you do but if you do have any Xiaomi sensors then I would not remove them as you may never get them to stay paired again.

Will be interested to see if your others ones stay paired ok after a few hours though but assume that if the issue effects more than the Xiaomi sensors then it will be zigbee rather than z-wave ones.

I have a Smartthings Multi Sensor which I am going to remove and re-pair. It is a zigbee one so will see if that holds ok but cannot do until later this evening

It’s really hard to respond to comments like this without sounding snarky :roll_eyes:

In my experience (40+ years as an engineer or engineering manager), way too many development managers these days are measured on shipping product (including software/firmware releases) to a schedule, rather than using customer satisfaction as the metric. Some VP somewhere can check off his milestone, then blame the quality issues on those below him on the org chart or (gasp!) a customer who is ignorant/impatient/stupid.

The only recourse for the customer is to push back (loudly!) or move on to some other brand of product.

The few ST folks who show up here on the forum really care. They are the good guys. But they have to ship product when told by their management. They are also tasked with damage control, scrambling to fix critical issues, and trying to put a good face on their product/company. All without making that career-limiting move of telling their VP, “I told you so!”

Personally, I appreciate their concern and their hard work. Been there, own the tee shirt

5 Likes

QFT.

Lots of us that also self hate and blame each other. Then it happens to them, and they find themselves also reporting issues and complaining. There is at lest one of them in this very thread that took it upon themselves to jump in on every issue thread months back blaming the user, saying they had been using ST for 60 Days + and it’s been wonderful, etc so it must be the person reporting the issue and not ST. It’s amusing watching them report issues here. (Hey you - I am not having issues, so it must be you. Choke on it.) Seriously, I’ve been trouble free for the longest period of time ever with ST
 it’s been many many many months.

Also agree lots of good folks at ST that man the community and are responsive. Caught between a rock and a hard place.

Your post lays out how things work in very simple terms, and it’s a damn shame.

3 Likes

Hmmm, not sure about the ‘snarky’ part of your reply but I do not remember typing that I or anyone else do not appreciate anyone’s hard work, that they do not care and it certainly is not the fault of the ST guys on here, the go-live decision would most certainly be much higher up the chain as you mention.
I am certainly not blaming anyone on here. I also as yourself fully understand how things work as I have been a Project Manager, Solutions Architect and Programme Director and Sponsor for 25 years. However I am simply airing that issues similar to those experienced, especially the battery ones, if known and there was no escape from the timeline then these should have been at the very least communicated to the users in advance, making us all aware of what may happen. To be honest I am also a little surprised that there has not even been an e-mail sent out after the fact informing users of what they may potentially be experiencing with their system(s) etc.
We are on here but imagine the people not fortunate enough to be reading the above have experienced, over night their battery readings ‘may’ have dropped to zero, sensors have gone completely offline due to this, false alarms over two nights as I experienced etc. Not to mention that there was no (at least from what I have read) contingency or roll-back plan in place. This is pretty much the basics which any upgrade project should have, whether these issues experienced warranted it or not. I mean what would have happened should it have been even worse. All this is certainly not the fault of anyone on here, that sits with someone much higher up the food chain.
Anyway, this is not really the place to air views on what others have or have not posted, the thread becomes jammed with rubbish just like this post. :grin:

Apologies if I misinterpreted your post.

Hope you are all enjoying your Sunday!

1 Like

The golf is hotting up.

I seriously doubt SmartThings is concerned with a sensor they don’t support, especially one that doesn’t follow standard zigbee protocols. There is warnings all over the Xiaomi threads that any future firmware update could break them, yet here people are still bitching about it.

7 Likes

I very much agree however there are people who have invested in them and they have been working. Would hardly call it ‘bitching’ though mores the point about the other issues with this update.

1 Like

Not disagreeing with anything you said: the battery thing apparently was known & not considered important enough to hold up the rollout. A “business decision” not made by those who have to actually interact with the customer – assuming my experience in the industry is typical these days

No offense intended, @chippie! Sorry for the misunderstanding; I should have been more careful of my wording

1 Like

Because beta seemed to last a few days. Shame. Beta should last allot longer as some things don’t show up right away all the time. Which was my case.

1 Like