Hub Firmware Release Notes - 18.18

Not yet. Still says 17.002

Then you probably havenā€™t been scheduled for the update push yet

17.002? Or 17.12?

17.00012. hub2. Thanks.

Yes, expect to see an email in advance of when we your round is up. One of the changes with this new release is that the downtime associated with updates is significantly reduced. Typical time that hub is not connected to the cloud and executing automatons should be only a couple of minutes.

1 Like

Thanks Tom

Updates have completed on the sensors but reported battery level has plummeted from 87% to 1% on the multi-sensor and down to 33% from 75% on the motion sensor. Have the updates eaten the batteries or is battery level being misreported?

Also, does the Zigbee mesh rebuild from scratch after a firmware update? My furthest outlet is not responding reliably since the update

Dave

1 Like

I am seeing this exact same thing except one of my Fibaroā€™s is now reporting 0% and Multi is now at 1%.

Please could someone advise if this is temporary or if the update has caused the batteries to drain. Some explanation would be greatly appreciated. I have not seen this type of behaviour previously.

Thanks.

similar issue here

I have 2 motion sensors - last night I noticed one was triggering my lights all night long - when I looked the battery said 1% (down from 100% a couple of days ago). And it was in a loop just triggering false motion events. Swapped the battery and all was well

Just had an alert from another motion sensor - also saying 1% ?

in the logs I notice that both these had a firmware update - and as soon as this triggered the battery dropped from 100% to 1%.

Iā€™m guessing another smartthings mess up ?

1 Like

Same. The moment the firmware upgrade completed on my multi-sensor, the battery dropped to 1%.

The motion sensor also dropped out, but looking in the log that might just be the Zigbee network coming back onlineā€¦

Iā€™ve got exactly the same problem, multiple sensors reporting 1% battery, before the firmware update it was 100% then soon as the update completed it dropped to 1%. Hopefully this gets resolved soon!

When will the rollout be completed? I havenā€™t received email notification about an update and IDE is showing v17.13 last updated 2017-05-02.

2 of my motion sensors are now showing 1%, 1 is offline. Also had automations running all day which should have stopped at sunrise.

Those of you with 1% battery, when was the last time you replaced it? The new battery reporting reading lower and the ota update could mean that 1% is accurate. The multi used to die at like 68%, so in simplified terms, itā€™s possible 68% before the update = 1% after.

2 Likes

I just replaced ALL my batteries in June. Two of my sensors are reporting 33% and have been that way since the update last week. All my other ones are in the high 70s and 80s.

1 Like

Motion Sensor was new in April, in a fairly high traffic area. Multi-sensor was also new in April, but is barely used. How long should I expect the batteries to last?

What Jimmy said. In other words, perhaps a device was reporting wrong all along until now. Replace your battery & see how long a new cell lasts.

Also, keep in mind it takes significantly more power to flash a new firmware image to a device than that device uses during normal operation. If a battery was already low when the firmware update happens, wellā€¦

Iā€™m not apologizing for ST. As a software engineer, I can attest to how difficult it is to track power remaining in a battery when all you have is a very small change in voltage as a battery ā€œgoes over the cliff,ā€ so to speak :flushed:

1 Like

In high traffic areas, you should see about 6-9 months of battery life. Low traffic areas are supposed to be a year (or possibly more). Also, donā€™t forget to factor in temperature. Extreme cold and heat will also affect battery life. Granted, they arenā€™t rated for outdoor use, but I know that a lot of people (including myself) use them outdoors in protected areas.

1 Like

battery in mine was fairly recent - within 3 months. And weather has been warm since then (theyā€™re inside)

As @Core_Phx says, temperature is not an insignificant factor. A common ā€œsolutionā€ to batteries in low temperature environments is to replace an Alkaline battery with a Lithium cell. That often allows a device to operate in a freezing environment, such as a garage during the winter in a cold locale.

However, the discharge curve of a Lithium cell is different than the Alkaline battery a device is designed to use. Therefore, the battery reporting will not be accurately representing the remaining battery runtime!

2 Likes

Iā€™ve thought about doing that very thing (Lithium instead of Alkaline). Instead, Iā€™m looking more and more at motion and multi-sensors that already utilize Lithium batteries. I believe the Sylvania Smart+ motion detectors and door/window sensors both use CR2450 Lithium batteries and they are also Zigbee (my Zigbee mesh is MUCH stronger than my z-wave mesh is).

1 Like