Hub Firmware Release Notes - 0.30.5

These are z-wave

you are correct about the minimotes being zwave, so that leads the problem to be with automations. looking at the ide logs both the minimotes and buttons show commands. so again the problem(s) seem to be with the cloud and automations.

Countless reboots of all forms still leaves devices with HUB_DISCONNECTED as a status. Very annoying!

Sometimes it’s just presence tags, sometimes other things. Now I have a siren and lock with that state, but they work just fine; BUT now SHM says I have a device not ready and Smart Lock Guest Access says 1 offline.

Any ideas @tpmanley? This has been a plaguing issue for some time now and I thought this was addressed.

1 Like

things still aren’t looking good.

smartsense plugs and buttons for the most part are offline.

door/window sensors and and motions sensors are online with the exception of bosch motion sensors that are offline.

have almost 300 devices in total with about 20 offline.

nothing zigbee will pair, new or old.

thinking about splitting devices up on multiple hubs. outlets and buttons on their own. this is the second time this !@#$ has happened right after a firmware update.

whats interesting is its so quiet you can hear a pin drop. just like last time…

Using any custom device handlers for them? There is a known issue where they can become stale and prevent those devices from pairing. If yes, open the device handlers in IDE and Publish for Me which will clear the staleness. Then reset and try to pair again.

May or may not resolve your issue but worth trying.

nope, they (smartsense outlets and buttons) use the built in handlers.

That is the point when you start to unplug any Wifi equipment what you have installed recently and any USB3 devices in the house, including pen drives hard drives and anything connected to a RPi.

Look at the topic posted above, look at metrics of the zigbee devices in the IDE to be able to identify any source of interference.

Thats just the thing, nothing has changed except for the 2 firmware updates. i have no usb3 devices in use. also when i turned off the router wifi there was no difference.

i thought about taking the hub over to the neighbors house with the smartsense outlets to see if the connection problem persists. yup, the problem still persists.

Okay, long story short, apparently it was the hub zigbee channel number after all. channel 19 is not good around here, but channel 20 is. i vaguely remember it being on channel 20 in the past years.

So, last night I started deleting devices thru the IDE as it is direct and faster then thru the app. This morning I resumed deleting devices. it took about an hour (or so) total to delete 300 devices.

Something interesting to note is that some zigbee devices started re-adding them selves. At first I thought maybe it was cause I had hit some limit of devices and these were cached some how as I had some paired devices sitting idle on the desk.

Then I got a paperclip and glared at the hub. LOL I pounced! It went thru its LED light sequence where it reset and downloaded the latest firmware (again). solid green light back on. a couple of those zigbee devices that auto re-added before paired back again by themselves right away.

Then I tried to pair a couple of the smartthings outlets (oval/blue light). This is where it started looking iffy again. While the outlets would re-pair, they would only very briefly work and not respond from the app and manual toggling would not show the on/off status on the app. So, I took a look in the IDE and zigbee channel was on 19 again. PFFT!

grabbed the paper clip again and GLARED at the hub!!! it cycled thru its LED colors resetting and re downloading the latest firmware again. It seemed like it was doing the cycle twice this time.

Then the hub went poof from my account on the IDE. I was like hum… okay… it wanted me to add a hub thru the app with welcome code. so went and got the booklet (original 2015 hub) from the box. went to add devices (hub) and keyed in the welcome code. at first it seemed to not accept the code, but when I clicked on retry it worked. I remember something like this happening last february when I had to hard reset then and re-add the hub as I had deleted it.

FIRST thing I did was take a look at the hub and zigbee channel was on 20 this time. YAY

then a couple of those zigbee devices re-added themselves again. so, this time when I started adding back the smartthings outlets . they paired right away and are working. also, smartthings buttons with automation button controller is working again!

so, it looks like when a firmware is pushed out the zigbee channel can change as its like doing a hard reset. There should be a way to retain the current channel to prevent the channel from changing.

although it only took about an hour (or so) to delete all devices, it’ll be at least 2-3 weeks getting everything added back in and set up the way it was previously.

Thanks for reading my story and good luck!

2 Likes

This update has totally messed up my network. My smartthings contact sensors and water sensors all go unavailable. Z-wave devices disconnect as well randomly.

most likely you will be doing what i had to do - delete all devices and hard reset the hub to have it re-download the latest firmware. do make a note of the current zigbee channel so you can check after the reset that it is on a different channel before you start adding devices back.

What the HELL! I can’t get to any of my devices. “SOMETHINGS WRONG” I can get to all my automations and everything seems to be working fine but can’t get to my devices

Dear Customer,

Thank you for writing back to us.

I am really sorry for the inconvenience. We just got an update that there is Scheduled Maintenance is going on SmartThings cloud.

We have taken precautions to ensure functionality remains undisturbed during the maintenance, but in some rare cases, users in the Americas may notice delayed or dropped device events for Hub connected devices. We will keep you posted for any update once the maintenance has been completed.

In the meantime try to Uninstall and Re-install the SmartThings app and check the status.

Thank you for your valuable time and patience

LMAO, you need to write them back and tell them that it starts on Tuesday 5/19 at around 10am EDT…

Seriously @Brad_ST and @jody.albritton , this is truly terrible support from ST. They don’t even know when this is happening and they’re already pointing fingers? Total BS.

1 Like

10 AM not PM :slight_smile:

2 Likes

What do you mean by you can’t get to any of your devices? Are you in the right location?

Updated my post.

1 Like

I can see all my routines. Also if I go to rooms I can see my devices. I checked this morning. Same thing. So I am not the only one having this issue?

Are you using the Classic app? This is what has been happening to me using Classic for months on every new load of the app. Try waiting for wait/loading spinning circle on the My Home/Things tab screen to clear to the blank screen>click on Automaton tab and wait until they show up>then click back on the My Home tab.

Are you using the Classic app or new app? You mention Automations above, but then Routines here.

If using the Classic app, you have no devices when looking at the Things tab, but you can see them within each Room under the Rooms tab?

We should probably move this over to a different topic because a firmware release for the hub should not have cause mobile app issues like this.