Hub Firmware Release Notes - 0.24.11

@jasonrwise77 this sounds like the issue that occurred with 4 of my z-wave devices during the beta. I ended up having to pull the air gap/kill power, force remove, re-power, exclude and then re-add them. Then re-build the automations.

1 Like

I really hope that is not the case, it is nearly all of my devices. The bad node is gone and the reboots have stopped, but nearly all zwave devices are showing offline then online in the mobile app only. All still work, so frusturationg.

I think I only got the bad node error for those devices when performing a z-wave replace or any other time the hub tried to ping the device.

Ok, this is a little more encouraging, it seems I have 2 devides wtih bad nodes that I need to exclude. and

The device going online and offline is cloud related, we are working on a fix for this issue. per support

On my way home now, will see if we can get this issue resolved.

1 Like

Luckily, I have had no problems.

No comment

I had the same problem, but just pulling the batteries and/or air gap and then going to sleep fixed my problems. In the morning everything was back to normal and it has been since. Overreaction kills your hub faster than an update.

Same here. Had a bunch of various sensors all the sudden say 1% battery. Some ST sensors (like v2 or something motions) some iris open/close, some iris motion. Seems like something with the DTHā€™s changed or zigbee all the sudden KILLING batteries left and right.

Will say I replaced one batteryā€¦and one of the other devices now says 33% instead of 1%ā€¦so who the f knowsā€¦ I go from like nearly 100% reliablity for well over 6 months with 50+ devicesā€¦to trashā€¦dankeā€™ Samsung

1 Like

in my case i went through troubleshooting with support for 3 days before it came to my solution.

Yikes. I panicked at first but then I turned off the Device Health so I donā€™t see all those red dots. Even though the devices were showing ā€œofflineā€ they were working so I didnā€™t bother to do anything else. I pulled a few batteries out and that was about it. Then the next day everything was normal.

and to be fair, the timing of mine also lined up with re-powering a seasonal z-wave device that I had left installed in SmartThings.

I donā€™t know the details of how the smartthings platform handles this, but a device which is performing a firmware update should appear as ā€œunavailableā€œ until the update is complete. And that can take a while, particularly for low powered battery operated device.

That wouldnā€™t explain any of whatā€™s going on with zwave, but it might explain some of the zigbee sensors clearing up overnight.

2 Likes

Update on my situation ā€¦

I sent @Kianoosh_Karami a DM as requested regarding my Z-Wave device issues and he fixed something ā€˜very oddā€™ in my system and now we need to wait a while to see if things clear-up.

@Zach_Varberg also reached out to me via DM about my Zigbee issue. He had me power off my Crees for longer and now it appears all my sensors are back (so it was the Crees causing a problem - I guess their FW update knocked them off-kilter). So, it looks like the hub FW update was not directly the cause of my issue - rather the Cree FW update that happened following the hub update.

As for the Z-Wave problem, Iā€™m not sure what the ā€˜oddā€™ issue with my system is/was but as I was getting issues with Z-Wave prior to hub FW update (I did note this above), it would seem this likely has nothing to do with the hub update either.

Just wanted to update my info to keep things honest and also thank the guys above for helping.

3 Likes

I should also add that doing a firmware update on a zigbee repeater ( like a Cree bulb) in the middle of other OTA updates, particularly to any of the children, could really mess things up.

I believe it still possible to turn off OTA updates, right? Can you do that by device or do you have to do it for the whole network?

Anyway, If I knew a hub update was expected, I would turn off all OTA updates until after the hub update had been stable for about 72 hours. Just so youā€™re not troubleshooting too many different things at once.

Then, if possible, I would only turn on OTA updates For the repeaters, maybe even one model at a time. Again, let them settle for a day or two. (If thereā€™s no way to turn off OTA for the sensors while letting the repeaters update, I would take the batteries out of the sensors until the repeaters were updated, then turn OTAU off again, then put the batteries back in.)

So now I have a stable current hub and stable current repeaters. At that point I would turn OTA back on and let the sensors update.

Oh, and I would definitely turn off device health until all of the updated completed.

I know it takes a lot longer, but I hate trying to troubleshoot three different things at once. :rage:

But thatā€™s just me.

6 Likes

All makes logical sense JD. When OTA FW were enabled for the Iris sensors some of mine took days to do their FW update. My Crees all did it very quickly after the hub FW update :face_with_raised_eyebrow:. It kinda caught me out.

2 Likes

OK, Iā€™ll tell you guys one more field tech secret, although you probably wonā€™t like this one. :wink:

We hardly ever did firmware updates in place. We would remove the devices from the production network, assign them to a sandbox network, and leave them there until everything was updated. Then we would test the devices and once they passed, move them back to the production network.

Yes, you would lose some functionality from the production network while the devices were literally off-line. But both the updates and production messaging ran a lot smoother.

Now Iā€™m not suggesting that one for a typical residential smartthings installation. But trying to do OTA updates on a production network is like refueling in flight. It can be done, and itā€™s definitely faster, but itā€™s way harder than just re-fueling at the next stop. ( and as my old boss used to explain to the client, ā€œAnd if something goes wrong, everybody dies.ā€œ :skull::skull::skull::skull:)

7 Likes

I bought this for my home, a production only environment. This thread clearly shows that this entire product is a beta, and what others refer to as the beta is actually the sandbox.

It is really disappointing to spend so much time setting something up, have to redo it all, then have it broken again, all within 3 months and all by the same company. To top it off, it is nearly impossible to obtain support. It would be different if it was a one off, or if they werenā€™t warned this version was broken. They were, and this is negligent.

Luckily I didnā€™t experience any problem during the 24.x BETA or this final ā€œproductionā€ release. I do understand your pain but in all honesty, if you bought SmartThings thinking on having a ā€œproductionā€ environment you just bought the wrong system, plain and simple, SmartThing has not been stable enough for a long timeā€¦

To me the system is still a Hobby and thus Iā€™m part of the BETAs. slowly I have been adding more and more devices and automation and eventually my setup will become what you call production. I really hope when that time comes they have sorted out all these problems, completed their migrations, sorted out their new development environment, APIs and procedures, etc. But this has been moving at snail pace so I have already started looking at more stable alternatives and from all my research I think the best alternatives for stability IMO are Home-Assistant and HomeSeer, maybe Hubitat. Home-Assistant does have a very steep learning curve and I just donā€™t have the time for it, Hubitat is still lacks maturity and support for some of my most important devices. HomeSeer has an 80ā€™s interface but I have heard there are new GUIs coming and their system seems to be rock solid plus they support every single one of my devices so I am keeping a close eye on that oneā€¦

1 Like

Three of my Samsung zigbee sensors, which had 89% battery before the firmware update, are now all of a sudden reporting 1%. And one of them is a movement sensor that has started reporting a continuous stream of motion detected & stopped, even though nothing is moving. I tried removing the battery for a few secs and it didnā€™t help, I donā€™t know how to make it stop. What a shit showā€¦ :rage:

2 Likes