Hub Firmware Beta Group, get ready to migrate!

@alissa.dornbos yes, thanks for some info on the problem.

More communications is good

1 Like

@alissa.dornbos

I would suggest to create some backup tool for automations before going GA.
In addition, I think it would be better instead of automatically removing user defined routines, just to disable them (in case the device does not expose the capability, participating in automation). That way if user changes the driver later, it would require only to re-enable routine, instead of creating it.

7 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: [Edge drivers] Issue with the ST Z-Wave switch driver

The following community FAQ explains:

FAQ: Why does the IDE list “placeholder” for my device? Can I change that?

1 Like

Hi @alissa.dornbos, i just wanted to let you know that i had 3 more Zigbee switches go offline yesterday evening that required resetting and rejoining even though their last update were just a few seconds to a minute. Its as of ST is seeing device state changes when using the switches manually.

Hello Everyone,

This is an important update in regards to the incident reported here, on July 21, 2022 where some Zigbee motion sensors using the SmartSense Motion Sensor DTH were incorrectly migrated to the Zigbee.

We have performed a migration this morning specific to the affected devices to correct the bug. All devices that were incorrectly migrated, should now be migrated to the Zigbee Motion Sensor Driver. Please confirm if this fix worked for you.

As a reminder, we regret that automations affected by this error have been removed and will need to be rebuilt.

Thank you for your continued support.

1 Like

Hi @alissa.dornbos ,

Could you please elaborate about the root cause of the issue?
From your post it looks like the issue is merely related to migration from DTH to Edge.
However, I have have seen some reports that motion sensors, managed by community drivers are also having issues (specifically, with Aqara Motion sensors, controlled by my driver).
I would really appreciate as much technical details as you can provide.
Thanks

Hey John, Thanks for sharing.

I want to make sure I understand the steps you are seeing, can you correct me if I am misunderstanding what is happening?

1. Zigbee Switches, backed by Lua (feel free to tell me which ones)
  2. You manually used the switches bu physically interacting with the device
  3. On the device card your seeing them as Offline.
  4. After the devices were the devices unresponsive withen the ST App, if you tried to manually interact with them, they still showed offline.

Was the only way you got the devices to not be in this state by, resetting and rejoining? Would they go back into this offline state after you interacted with the switches again? Does this happen every time with these devices backed by Lua?

Hello.

The issue was that SmartThings migrated motion sensors, to be contact sensors. There was a subset of devices from our Hub Beta population, that were backed by the SmartSense Motion Sensor DTH that this specific bug would be limited to. Only these devices backed my SmartThings owned DTHs were involved with a migration June 21, and migrated to the wrong SmartThings owned driver. This was due to a cashing issue during the migration. The root cause is known and has been fixed.

What issues are you seeing with your community driver that supports Aqara Motion Sensors?

Thanks,

Alissa

Hi @alissa.dornbos ,

You’ve got steps 1-4 spot on. The devices have always been different switches, in other words, I’ve not had the same switch go back offline once I reset it and rejoined. So yes, the only way to get the Zigbee switches back online was to reset them (not delete) and rejoin. Resetting the GE/Jasco switches is an easy 10 taps on the paddle.

So far since these switches have moved to an edge driver, I’ve have about 10 go offline. This time I had these to reset:
Foyer Lights
Front Soffit Lights
Master Bed Tray Lights

This does not happen every day, but maybe every several days to a couple weeks. It’s been about that long since I had to do this.

Hope that helps.

Are these all devices, that SmartThings have migrated for you? Or are these devices that you newly joined with a Beta Driver?

My motion sensor properly updated and is working as expected again! Thanks!

And bonus, since I use this in a Smart Lighting rule it didn’t get lost in the shuffle :sunglasses:

1 Like

@alissa.dornbos ,

Thank you for a quick response.

1. Devices go offline (even when signal strength values are good)
  2. Battery is not updated (I suspect zigbee binding has been lost)
  3. Automations are not triggered, even though the event is registered by device and is shown in device history

I should add that those issues are not deterministic, they are usually fixed by either just scanning for new devices (without removing the device) or by re-pairing (re-onboarding).
I personally don’t experience offline or battery issues, but have seen missed automations

1 Like

These were ones ST migrated for me.

2 Likes

If you back these devices with a community-written Groovy DTH, do you still see these issues?

Sorry to ask another question, just thinking about this more and want to make sure I am capturing it.
When you mention “This does not happen every day, but maybe every several days to a couple of weeks. It’s been about that long since I had to do this.”

• These were devices that were migrted to Lua by SmartThings.
  • After migration to Lua you started seeing this.
  • Every Several Days to a couple weeks, when you flip the switch it goes off line, then you have to deliver and rejoin.
  • You have had to do this multiple times for a few devices.

^Is that right?

If so, this is probably not related to ‘migration’ itself and the team will most likely need to look at the driver.

Thank you.

No worries, ask as many questions as you’d like! I’ll answer each one:

Correct.

Correct

First part is correct, but not the second. I usually find the device is offline because an automation failed to execute, and then I look in the mobile app and see that it’s offline. I also verify via the IDE.

Like right now. My device titled “Spare Room Vent Right” is a Keen vent that was migrated and it’s offline. It could be out of battery, but the app says 50% so it should be fine. I’ll go upstairs shortly and get it back online.

Yes that’s correct, for several devices actually. I’d say over a dozen and all were switches until the Keen vent just now. I’ve only had to do this once per offline switch, not multiple times for the same device.

EDIT:

On that offline Keen vent, I just got that back online by pulling the battery and dropping it back in. Battery level went from 50% to 25%, which is still good for these vents.

EDIT: @alissa.dornbos I had another Keen vent go offline, and all I did to get it back online was the same thing I did for the other one for earlier this week.

I noticed that the device image no longer updates to blue and showing the fan icon rotating like it did with the Groovy DTH. It stays grey all the time no matter if it’s on or off. Both vents are doing that, so I’m going to look at all my other vents but this seems to only happen with vent that went offline and came back online. All vents are using ST’s Edge driver.

The thing I have noticed with Edge drivers is the battery drains quickly on my zigbee devices. On average about a 10 percent drop weekly. So been forced to buy lots of batteries. Once it hits 10% I replace them as I don’t want to test if they might last longer.

Edit: leak sensors drain at about 10% per week. Contact and motion drain at a slower rate but still higher than when using legacy Device Handlers.

I agree with you @jkp . I just replaced the battery on 2 open/close sensors that are on ST’s Edge driver that we’re fine at 50% and 44% for quite some time, but as soon as the conversion happened the battery needed replaced.

I think I’m having this issue too. You can see in my screenshot way above that my motion sensor battery was at 0% when it had the migration issue. I thought that was just coincidence but after replacing that battery a few days ago, I’m already back down to 67%. Luckily I don’t have a ton of battery devices that have migrated to Edge yet.