Hub Firmware Beta 0.25.25

Yikes!!! Last time that happened to me I had to get a new hub.

I hope notā€¦ it took weeks to rebuild everything when I upgraded to v3.

I know what you mean. Good luck to you. Hope is not a hardware issue.

@johnconstantelo - I am going to follow your lead and prefer zigbee devices whenever possible. I am tired of all this zwave related maintenance. As a first step, I have 3 separate attics where I am planning on putting zigbee light switches. They would likely cover the entire house as they are perfectly distributed. They would be the only hardwired zigbee devices as all my repeaters are plug-inā€¦ and my SO never remembers that unplugging one can cause lots of troubleā€¦ My issue is thisā€¦ with ZigBee 3.0 being the new standard, I am hesitant to buy 3 of the GE/JASCO energy reporting zigbee switches because I am guessing they will never get ZigBee 3.0. I know they say they will be compatible but there are bound to be some limitations. Are your GE Zigbee switches getting firmware updates? Do you believe they would ever be updated to ZigBee 3.0 or does it also require it to have an upgraded ZigBee chip?

Anyhow, back in February Leviton certified a Zigbee 3.0 switch so it is bound to hit the market soon. Maybe I should just wait.

Leviton DG15S

Any thoughts?

Since update 3 of my Samsung multisensors are eating up a battery a day. These are all in the same room with the hub. They can stay offline, windows are closed for the winter anyway. Iā€™m not going to go broke replacing batteries every day.
Testing with Volt meter battery is 3.5/3.6 going in & the next day 2.3/2.4 so it isnā€™t bad reading they are actually chewing up the batteries.

1 Like

I saw this with one of my multi sensors too. did you create a bug report?

@RLDreams - Are they Zwave or Zigbee?

The Samsung multi-sensors are Zigbee

Missed thatā€¦ Have any of your repeaters gone offline or have they been moved? I wonder whether the sensors are having to use more power to communicate. Did you try the 10 minute hub disconnect to force the sensors to find new routes back to the hub? I know this is a silly question given you are an advanced user but just in caseā€¦

Nothing has moved & itā€™s only the Samsung closest to the hub, the Iris on the top Ā½ of the same windows have been fine, all the ones throughout the house further away are fine. Just the 3 Samsung closest to the hub.
Yes Iā€™ve done the hub off for 30 minutes Zigbee rebuild. Iā€™ll just leave them off until the next push before I replace the batteries again.

1 Like

As of 5 minutes ago, my entire second floor only has 3 Zwave devices left, 2 are zwave plus fan controllers and theyā€™ve been working really well so far (knock on wood), and the other is a siren.

Not yet. The f/w version that gets picked up is the one ST has the latest for. So far Iā€™ve had zero issues.

If a firmware update becomes available, I should get it; but I donā€™t know about it getting to 3.0 unless the chip can handle it. Thatā€™s something Iā€™ll have to investigate, but considering the population of 2.0 and earlier devices being out there, Iā€™m not worried about getting to 3 anytime soon.

The Leviton device does look interesting though. I remember seeing that too, but their site still hasnā€™t added it yet.

I was able to find a company that has Zigbee devices that would replace my Aeon HEM, and my micro relays I have inside gang boxes, as well as for my garage door opener. The companyā€™s name is Climax Technology from Taiwan, and Iā€™m trying to find a distributor in the US. They do a lot with home safety devices in the US, but their other devices are just not in the US that could find. I may have to use a custom DTH for the HEM, but ST has a DTH for everything else (I just need to get a device to test with).

3 Likes

That looks very promising. Keep us updated.

1 Like

Oh I will, but I have yet to get any replies to inquiries on where to find them. These guys are going to be in Vegas in April for some type of conference, but unfortunately Iā€™m not there until May, otherwise Iā€™d track them down!

Iā€™m also trying to find this: http://www.climax.com.tw/prs3-ch1-2-zbs-zb.php

1 Like

John, Breaks my heart that you are going away from Z-Wave. :cry:

1 Like

Let me take a look to see what is going on.

2 Likes

John, I took a look and did not have hub logs for when the consecutive ā€œNot respondingā€ occurred. I am sorry that I was unable to pull hub logs when you reported this issue, but if these sort of things happen in future, please go ahead pull logs yourself and let me know so I can then pull them later and investigate the matter.

Also, thanks for helping us out with the beta.

4 Likes

No to worry! Iā€™m hanging on to many zwave plus devices, so all is not lost.

@Kianoosh_Karami - the issue I had with a zillion disconnects during the day / night is happening again. I am trying to figure out whether it has anything to do with my Ubiquiti Unifi network equipment (running beta software) or whether it is just the ST hub having issues. To this point it appears that the only device having issues is the hub. This may not be all telling but I had a recursive ping to 1.1.1.1 (DNS), 192.168.1.10 (managed switch where hub is connected) and 192.168.1.40 (hub). The only recursive ping to show any issues was the hubā€™s. Also, the hubā€™s LED turned blue at least once during a longer outage.

One thing I can try is to connect the ST hub to the ATT router for a day or so as it appears it can still manage devices on its own private network even though it is set to IP Passthrough so that the public IP is assigned to my Unifi USG-PRO4 router. I did the test earlier for an hour or so and the connection was stable however it is not a large enough sample.

Any other suggestions? Has anything in .25 changed which may be related to this?

EDIT: ATT recently replaced the external 2010 ONT (fiber terminal) with a drastically smaller and newer ONT mounted indoors. I did some work today to mount it inside a structured media panel so one or two of the disconnections (likely the longest) were me powering down the ONT.

the issue with battery drain on my multi sensors appeared to be one time event and only in the older model devices. I think one of these betas (or some other event during the same period) might have forced ota updates.

I am having issues getting the newer SmartThings app to discover Z-Wave Plus devices. I thought at first it was just me, but I was able to replicate the issue by resetting the devices and trying to add again. Only the old app would find them. Not sure how this could be firmware related, but the new app used to discover them.