SmartThings Community

Hub Firmware Beta 0.25.22

The Zwave toolbox shows me the hops between the node and the toolbox sitting right next to the hub so it gives me an idea of what the hub is doing assuming the two controllers picked the same or similar routes. I wonder whether your FortrezZ water flow device keeps wanting to use a troublesome node nearby. Given the number of devices you have it is likely that it has many paths to the hub so I wonder why it is not trying other paths. Could the device be getting overwhelmed with the traffic? Have you tried to powercycle the device to restore it?

The red lines are most likely sleepy battery zwave devices, if not, then they are devices with issues (not my case).

I have to do that every single time a zwave repair completes. I’ll have to spend some time learning/understanding Zwave toolbox.

@cbaumler I keep seeing orphaned device messages while doing a network repair, Unable to update mesh info for device 0C (which doesn’t exit) with the current firmware (24.20).

Does the new firmware (25.22) have the ability to clean/remove these orphaned devices that no longer exist from the Z-Wave controller?

1 Like

I didn’t notice anything amiss in the hub log. Feel free to DM me and @Kianoosh_Karami if the problem persists.

This depends on how the device is orphaned. If the device still exists in the cloud, you can perform a force delete using the classic app. If the device has been removed from the cloud but is somehow still in the node list on the hub, there isn’t currently a way for the user to remove the device.

2 Likes

Seems to be working now, but really slow. That’s probably due to a switch that’s offline for a few hours now. I’m about to replace 8 switches (including that offline device) with zigbee switches and another fan controller today.

How about the old method of creating a fake zwave device using the ghost ID and then using the ST app to delete it?

BTW, I had to reboot the hub a couple times as it would not go into exclusion mode. A confirmation that the hub is actually in exclusion mode (or inclusion) on the app would help. At times I am there cussing the device when it is the hub that has not actually gone into the correct mode. For some reason a power cycle always seems to fix that… for a little while at least.

EDIT2: Just ran a network repair which finished much sooner however there were lots of errors including lots of device IDs referenced with no names. Ghost devices again? I had not seen them in quite a while. Running another…

2 Likes

I found your post on that device, and I remember reading it. Very nice tool to have for sure, and now it’s down to $149. If I wasn’t moving away from zwave devices, I would seriously consider getting this.

I have 50 z-wave devices. Just ran a repair and it took 10 minutes. Not too shabby I suppose. Only had a few errors for not being able to update neighbors.

Timing is everything! I just removed 8 devices, and then ran a repair. It took less than 30 minutes, with just 2 devices having an issue not being able to update neighbors. I have just 1 ghost device left reporting “Network repair for device [49]: Could not delete old routes and Could not assign new route”. I think that’s the best I’ve seen in a long time.

Ghost devices are definitely a problem. I had them at one point after a beta gone sideways and they wreaked havoc on my network until i got some help to remove them.

1 Like

This was mine at the 2nd or 3rd attempt. I wish I knew what is stopping the devices from getting the updated route… Anyone know?

Network repair for Driveway Lights [E6]: Could not assign new route
Network repair for Driveway Lights [E6]: Could not delete old routes
Network repair for Utility Room Fan [DF]: Could not assign new route
Network repair for Z-Wave Controller [E0]: Could not assign new route
Network repair for Z-Wave Controller [E0]: Could not delete old routes
Network repair for Utility Room Fan [DF]: Could not delete old routes
Network repair for Master Toilet Fan [DE]: Could not assign new route
Network repair for Master Toilet Fan [DE]: Could not delete old routes
Network repair for Powder Room Fan [DC]: Could not assign new route
Network repair for Upstairs Bathroom Light [56]: Could not assign new route
Network repair for Upstairs Bathroom Light [56]: Could not delete old routes
Network repair for Driveway Lights [E6]: Could not update neighbors
Network repair for Z-Wave Controller [E0]: Could not update neighbors
Network repair for Kitchen Table Light [9E]: Could not update neighbors
Network repair for Kitchen Sink Light [79]: Could not update neighbors
Network repair for Upstairs Bathroom Light [56]: Could not update neighbors
Network repair for Office Light [4D]: Could not update neighbors
Network repair for Dining Room Light [3C]: Could not update neighbors
Network repair for Master Toilet Light [2A]: Could not update neighbors
Network repair for Living Room Table Outlet [19]: Could not update neighbors

I just discovered this courtesy of @TheSmartestHouse:

http://www.support.getzooz.com/kb/article/253-how-to-perform-an-ota-firmware-update-on-zooz-devices

Look on the right hand side… Download the Z-Wave PC Controller Version 5.30 file which essentially does a lot of, and more in some cases, than what the Zwave Toolbox does. You will need a Zwave Plus USB device. If you do not have one, I would suggest to get a Zooz one as a thank you for the courtesy to making this software available. I happened to have a HomeSeer one plugged in and it worked right off the bat. I’ll buy other toys from them as a thank you :wink:

4 Likes

I just ran a repair and it completed without error in under 2 minutes. I have 8 battery powered z-wave sensors and 7 AC powered z-wave plus switches.

It should be fast with only that many mains powered devices. As you add more, keep doing repairs to keep it clean and optimal!

2 Likes

The time it takes to perform a full network repair is obviously correlated to how big your Z-Wave network is, but use the following equation for the maximum theoritical time it takes to complete:

net_repair_theoritical_max(nL: listening_sleepy_node_count, nA: always_on_node_count_count )
{
     nT: node_repair_count = nL + nA;
     max_time = nT * ( 5500 mSecs * nL + 900 mSecs * nA) 
}

The timing parameters are driven by the specifics of the Z-Wave mesh technology and protocol, so unfortunately, we cannot tweak the parameters to speed the process up.

So if you had 50 Z-Wave devices (10 Listening Sleepy device (i.e. locks) and 30 always on devices (i.e. Switch)). You are looking at

nL = 10, nA = 30, nT = 40
max time = 40 * ( 5500 * 10 + 900 * 30) = 3,280,000 mSecs or 54.667 minutes

As you add devices, the max time increases exponentially and it is worth noting that if devices are communicating as expected, the time to complete should be considerably smaller than the theoretical value.

11 Likes

Wow, that is incredibly helpful to know. Thanks!

@Kianoosh_Karami

Great info!

So for others as another data point.

Knock on wood, I have 50 zwave and it takes 8 minutes to do a repair.

My complaint is that often I need to do the zwave repair multiple times in a row to get a clean repair. Often 3 or 4 times in a row to get NO errors.

Is that expected? The errors are can’t update mesh, or can’t find all neighbors.

Also, can anyone confirm this assumption? That to get best zwave performance you do need to run zwave repair until no errors?

So if I run the repair only once and that repair has 4 devices unable to update mesh, should I run the zwave repair again or am I go to go?

2 Likes

Yes it is, thanks for sharing @Kianoosh_Karami!

Ditto! This info helps so much further understand our systems and troubleshoot issues!