Hub Firmware 18.x Beta

All of the devices on https://www.smartthings.com/products are health checked.

Devices like Zooz which aren’t natively supported by SmartThings also aren’t health checked.

There are two main components to the health check, the frequency of device polling/check-in and the check interval. In general we will mark a device as “offline” if it has missed two polls/check-ins but we add a little buffer as well. So a device that is polled every 5 minutes, we would likely set the check interval as 12 minutes. That would allow for two polling opportunities (2 poll events which are 5 minutes apart to get 10 minutes) and a little buffer (2 minutes).

Here’s a more complicated example of the health check frequency for Z-Wave motion sensors:

These devices only check in every 4 hours. So the check interval is 8 hours plus a buffer. 8 * 60 * 60 gives you 8 hours (or 28,800 seconds) which accounts for 2 check-ins from the device plus a 2 minute buffer (2 * 60 or 120 seconds). The device would need to miss 2 check-ins during that 482 minute check interval to be marked as “Offline”.

4 Likes

You wrote:

@tpmanley

How are these updates deployed? Local DTHs are run local so they are contained within firmware in the Hub and not the cloud? correct?

Or does this run in the cloud?

You wrote this today 7/19 and said this happened yesterday. Should we have gotten a hub update yesterday?

Just curious!

Thanks

For hubs with 0.18 the handling of the battery message happens in the cloud for now while most of the rest of the messages are still handled locally on the hub.

1 Like

That’s interesting. Does this imply that devices can now have certain capabilities run local and certain in the cloud?

[quote]@tpmanleyWe did make some changes to the voltage reported by the sensor and yesterday we released changes to the SmartSense Multi Sensor and SmartSense Motion Sensor DTHs to adjust how that voltage is converted to a percentage.
[/quote]

What about the SmartSense Motion detectors, mine are way off.

All these comments on Iris FW updates makes me question. I have all my Iris devices using the ST ( Centralite) device types, in the hopes that I might someday have local control. Will they still update, or do I need to changes them all back to the stock Iris device types ?

Iris motion are showing
Current Version: 0x1C005310
Target Version: 0x1C005310
Last Updated: 2017-06-28 9:09 PM EDT

So obviously they’ve updated, however as others have stated
Iris Smart plugs ( Using ST SmartPower DT) are showing

Current Version: 0x20015010
Target Version: 0x20015010
Last Updated: N/A

@RLDreams

Other than my iris button, all of my iris devices run local.

They are all running stock device types.

Meaning whatever device type is picked when paired.

Smart sense motion
Smart power outlet
Smart sense open closed sensor

1 Like

Firmware updates are independent of the DTH you use. Also, there is no firmware update for the Iris plugs unfortunately. I have a bunch of them. Seems only officially supported Iris devices get updates (motion, open/close, water sensor).

Edit: As a note, there actually is a firmware update for the CentraLite branded plugs though.

@RLDreams
Do your iris devices not run local?

They didn’t when I set them up about 18 or so months ago :wink:
I’m a firm believer in " If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it". So if everything is working I don’t mess with it.

So true. But I believe you’d get an ever better experience with the Smart Sense handlers. The Iris sensors are fast and with local processing I find them extremely responsive where it counts - turning on lights, fans, etc.

1 Like

I have them all set as ST Smartsemse DT. That was my initial comment, if they would receive the update if not on Iris DTH

I misunderstood, sorry.

Are you talking about this version of the motion sensor? https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-us/articles/200903280. The video shows what it looks like. There isn’t a firmware update for that version but I don’t think I’m aware of any particular issues with its battery reporting.

The link you provided gets a 404 error, but my version is the 2015 model.

Even after this last beta… Certain batteries on Multisensor still go back to 1%… then after a refresh they jump to 50%… EVERY day this happens… I refresh then force close the app and then it appears ok… then it all happens again… I’m on IOS 10.3.3…

1 Like

Found the problem :smile:

1 Like

Sorry about the link, I think it must not be publicly visible for some reason. There’s a firmware update for the 2015 sensor but it addressed some connectivity issues in certain situations and not the battery reporting.

I replaced the battery in one of my ST motion sensors that was reading 1% again. This is the second battery at 3.02v that I have put in this sensor. it is still reading 1%. The other 4 ST sensors with new batteries are also reading around 33%, I just replaced the batteries in them post OTA update.

I am also experiencing looping active events on the ST motion sensor since replacing the battery the second time. Hub Firmware Release Notes - 18.18

My problem is that I installed two new batteries that tested 100% but when then the firmware loaded and then the battery level went to 56% then up to 67%. When it should read 100%. This is on three same model motion sensors.