Hub Firmware 17.11 Release Notes

I also have the same issue with hub firmware 16.14 and the new Z-Wave Plus Leviton dimmers. Every once in a while some of the dimmers are reported as unavailable, but they continue to work and report their status just fine. Refreshing from the app or physically toggling the switches clears the unavailable status immediately. I think the issue is related to the new “Device Health” feature in the SmartThings app falsely reporting that the devices are unavailable.

1 Like

Yep I noticed this last night with one of my zwave door locks, it said unavailable, but when I tried it, it worked fine. I am also on 16.14 still.

1 Like

@matalla, @capfan, and @Rob79 - I suspect these experiences are not related to the 17.11 update. It sounds like a mix of Z-Wave networks and/or cloud responsiveness. If you have not already, please contact support with device names, approximate times things were delayed, etc. and we can look into them.

Now that you are staging firmware updates, I think this page needs re-wording as there is no no longer a single “latest” firmware.

1 Like

The “Unavailable” started with the cloud hiccup earlier in the week (at least for me). For the most part, it seems to have subsided.

@aaron I am seeing something similar. It started yesterday. I was on beta 17.11

Note: As I was composing this email, one more GE Switch is now listed as not available, so the total is now 5

4 zwave switches are listed as unavailable in the smartthings app. I can control them fine from the smartthings app. If I turrn them on and off from the smarttings app, they then show as available for a little while.

There are 3 Linear Aux dimmers that show this, and one GE Switch (older model, switch NOT dimmer)

I have rebooted the HUB and rebuilt the zwave mesh and it did not fix this issue.

The good news is that device health is working correctly against 2 Osram garden spots. The Ostams are only powered from sunset to sunrise and device health correctly shows them as unavailable during the day, but available during the night, which is correct.

1 Like

I have to say, I’m struggling with this being unrelated to 17.11. I’ve quite literally never had this issue, but now am seeing daily “device not available” alerts in the app. All of the devices actually function fine, but report as unavailable until I try to take some action. They are in different physical locations and different device types too. I’ve been take app screen shots as I notice this just to get time stamps and device types in case that is helpful.

1 Like

I have had more issues with my IRIS devices falling offline since the 17.11 update than I have since the Great March Meltdown of 2016!

This is nuts ST…

Ditto. Starting on Saturday, for three days in a row our bedroom GE dimmer switch dropped off the network. Likely at some point during the day butnot noticed until nightfall. Three days it did this. Never dropped off before, hasn’t done it since Tuesday. I’m betting on a cloud issue.

For what its worth, I’m still at 16.14, and I’ve had ZLL bulbs dropping off, and then rejoining on their own more frequently for the last week or so. Or I was, until I got tired of light-bulbs randomly rejoining and turning on, and starting leaving the master switches off…

I also had a Xiaomi button trigger two sequential “held” events (hold timer is set to 3s) within 1 second during a health check yesterday which was a bit weird. I only noticed because my downstairs lights turned off and then back on all on their own (button is set to toggle the lights based on how many are on/off with CoRE).

Mine were driving me crazy the past week. 4 of them with the default SmartSense Open/Closed Sensor handler kept going off line. Finally realized teey all had low batteries even though they showed 60%+. I bought them all at the same time, so make sense they would die around the same time. Guess inaccurate battery status isn’t just for ST branded sensors anymore…

1 Like

I also am getting the device not available notifications on devices, they work fine when I change state. BTW, I am still on a version 1 original kickstarter hub!

Are these new issues (the device unavailable state) for everybody? It sounds like different hardware and firmware are involved, but is this all new behavior? For me, on 17.11, I’ve had super erratic behavior since the upgrade. Today, one of my garage doors (Linear) alerted me that it was open on two different occasions despite not moving. I know that issues arise, but the Leviton dimmers being unavailable, the Iris motion sensors being unavailable and a Linear garage door opener all started this behavior in the past week.

I’m having the same issue and just checked not on 17.11 yet…

I’m still on 16.14 but still having the same issues with devices being unavailable. I’ve rebooted my hub, did a repair and still not stable. The device may come back on for a bit, but another random one will be unavailable. Also, my device response time has been horrible. Open/Close & motion sensors not working and if they do, it is minutes later before a change is reported. Tried new batteries and resetting the device and still the same.

Ditto…

Edit
Solved!!!

The new IKEA bulbs everybody is talking about does not seeme to work with 17.11
Tried to add one like 20 times, does not find it.
People report this to be working before 17.11
What might be the reason for this? @posborne and @Aaron ?

Edit.
a couple of resets of the bulb, and 5 cm away from hub solved it.

All - I’ve posted a post-mortem of the 17.11 hub firmware release issues in a separate post since these release notes threads tend to get a little long. Please give it a read!

4 Likes

So today I got some more CR2450 batteries. I tried changing the batteries again on the device that where unavailable. After changing the batteries on the 2 motion sensors that have gone unavailable the most, everything else came back online. Of the 5 device, I only changed 2 batteries and it seems like things are working. Looks like the batteries where just too weak, even though ST reported them as being 79%.

If you performed a firmware update on the devices then you’ll see batteries get decimated in the process of upgrading. What seems to happen is that the depleted batteries still show a high voltage without load. As soon as any kind of load happens the voltage drops rapidly, hence fooling smartthings to show a high percentage when in reality the battery is pretty much depleted.

1 Like