Hub Firmware 17.11 Release Notes

P.S, My magneta light was solid.

P.S. P.S. It was that color for SEVEN AND A HALF HOURS.

Marc - have you tried plugging the hub back in since unplugging it? We are triaging an issue that caused hubs to get stuck during the update and will have more information as soon as we have a better grasp of whatā€™s going on.

1 Like

Yes. Itā€™s currently been updating for about an hour or so. Still going to wait and see. Thanks for the response.

Sorry. Iā€™m tired. Just kinda overworked. I should have stated it has been downloading on a 75m cable for that long.

Quick update on the firmware rollout - as some of you experienced, we had problems with hubs getting stuck with a magenta, flashing magenta, or red LED during this update. The number of hubs that experienced this problem was small, but significant enough to give us pause. Weā€™re going to take due caution and postpone the next rollout of the 17.11 release. Users who got an email yesterday announcing the update for their hub should be getting another email confirming that their update will be postponed.

More information as we get to the bottom of the issues we saw today.

7 Likes

Okayā€¦ But, when I restart my hub I show ā€œofflineā€. I think Iā€™m burned. My lights are now unresponsive. Gee, do you think I should go back to Vera? I was bragging on ST after I switched. Now Iā€™m wondering if I have a shiny white box that wont work for me.

Am I able to disable updates? Iā€™m going out of town for 2 weeks and all my lights are on timers, if there is a problem I will not be there to restart the hub. I will add that I will not have internet access during this time.

Iā€™ve been months with a stable and positive ST experience, but this has me worried about having to redo my entire setup.

PS Iā€™m one of the ā€œsmallā€ users affected with red leds

Still flashing magenta LEDs after 5 hours. What do you recommend we do, Nick? Force reboot?

I beg to differ, we definitely have big routing issues with osram bulbs in the UK. Iā€™ve confirmed this with engineering.

The default firmware is also just plain rubbish, with the lights freezing or coming on by themselves. So I recommend others getting the osram gateway and updating rather than wait for smartthings.

I donā€™t think itā€™s possible to disable firmware updates of the hub. At least weā€™ve not been able to do that in the past before 11.x. As for device level OTA firmware updates, you can disable these in the IDE under the hub, utilities options.

We suffered 18 hours of downtime due to this firmware update, and to make matters worse it was carried out two days before the date stated in the update warning email from Smartthings. Quite disappointing.

If Smartthings is going to be an important part of managing devices throughout the home this really shouldnā€™t happen, I guess this is the risk with trusting a cloud based service.

Iā€™m afraid weā€™re stuck. I went to sleep at approximately 11:15p est. Woke up at 1:25a. Still flashing. Rebooted again. Still flashing. I have gotten no response as to what to do.
6:20a. Still flashing. I believe the update bricked my unit. I really donā€™t like my wifeā€™s response. This shouldnā€™t have happened.

2 Likes

Okay ( Again )ā€¦ At approximately 6:30a I decided to hit the reset button forcing a reboot. It was stuck on flashing magenta. After it rebooted I now have a working 17.0011 unit.

Please contact support if you havenā€™t already. For cases like yours (red LED), we will likely have your hub shipped to our engineering office for root cause analysis and (if possible) repair. We will use the root cause analysis to do whatever we can to avoid the possibility of future users receiving the update running into the same problem.

1 Like

Glad it started working for you.

Support reached out to me last night. However, Iā€™m still waiting a reply from last night. Should I believe my hub is not going to come out of this and I should plug in a new hub and start over?

Not yet - if you havenā€™t heard from support, please give us a bit of time. We are digging into every report

Woke up to a dead hub and none of my morning routines working. Iā€™m trying to see if a reboot will fix the issue, else Iā€™ll call support

Thanks