Hub Firmware 17.11 Release Notes

For now, “OTA” (Over the Air) firmware updates are available for a limited number of ZigBee devices. Over time we plan to work with various device manufacturers to make updates for additional devices available. In addition, we would like to give users greater control over this update process.

Currently we do not support OTA updates of any Z-Wave devices, but that is a feature we would like to support in future versions of the hub firmware and other SmartThings ecosystem components.

3 Likes

First and foremost, thank you for always keeping us informed and often in great detail. This usually makes the proverbial pill much easier to swallow.
As long as the information is flowing I can always plan for a little or extended down time.
I eagerly await the upgrade.
Thanks again,
Jim

3 Likes

Wondering if this update will make the ‘tested/certified’ Smartcam Pro actually work with ST …

Is this a recent regression you have observed? We do not have any major changes for the video software running on the hub with this release, but if the issue is recent it may have more to do with the LAN changes in the cloud which should improve as those issues are chased down and resolved.

FWIW, I use a SmartCam HD Pro at home and have had no problems with the new release over the past several months.

I’m in the UK and mine doesnt work at all - it shows being connected to ST but no streaming is possible - works fine in the Smartcam app itself or directly via rtsp stream - @nastevens offered to have a look at it :thumbsup:

Awesome, looking for more out of my constantly expanding system. Waiting on my Smartthings extend for my 2016 TV before I buy the second one and my Family Hub fridge! Adding more stuff everyday including Hue bulbs and Samsung cameras.

Is there a size of the download published somewhere? I am on a metered datacard plan for internet access and just need to be prepared for any overages. I guess I could assume that since it is a full image, it has to be small enough to fit in half of the total memory installed minus whatever is used when the OS is running?

We don’t publish the update sizes and don’t plan to. This update and subsequent updates will likely be larger than previous ones. My rough estimate for total size of this compressed updates sent over the wire will be ~250MB (quickly measured 227M but we could have missed something and there is some other protocol overhead and such). We have changes planned for future updates that will likely reduce this size but for now they are a little larger than they have been historically.

I don’t expect that future updates would ever be larger than this but we don’t provide any guarantees with regards to bandwidth that may be used by the SmartThings system during normal operation or during updates.

1 Like

@posborne

One request on these emails - could you please include the hub NAME that is being referenced in the email?

I have 3 hubs in 3 locations all under 1 email address. Today I got 2 emails notifying me of upgrades scheduled on Thursday, but I can’t tell which 2 of my 3 hubs these are for.

Thanks!

2 Likes

R.e:

Do you have a list of specific versions and/or a changelog from OSRAM?
I wish they were as transparent as you guys are :blush:

Related: This annoying thing.

Good idea - I know I get a slew of emails myself and don’t know which email is which hub. It’s too late for this release, but I’m opening a ticket for this as a potential future enhancement.

5 Likes

The version is 0x01020492 which is the same version available via the OSRAM hub. SmartThings hub firmware version 16.14 includes firmware for most of the older OSRAM products and 17.11 adds the firmware for the newer products. These firmware updates are only available right now for the US version of the products. The exception is the Sylvania Ultra IQ BR30 which doesn’t have a firmware update available.

There aren’t official release notes available for this firmware, but I’ve seen a significant reduction in devices going offline and turning on by themselves.

4 Likes

Will the firmware be rolled out to UK Hubs?

Absolutely (did I hit my char count?)

3 Likes

Recent firmware updates have not included anything regarding Local Processing. Is that something ST no longer plans to enhance and expand upon?

I ask since I noticed that many of the recently updated DTH in Github are still Cloud Execution only.

Also, I see that Samsung TV ST Extend (likely Nvidia Shield ST Extend) is treated like a ST Hub V1 based on the documentation in Github, which means no local processing at all for them.

Is the future of the ST platform cloud execution only?

Thanks for your time.

1 Like

I don’t want it to appear that we’re ignoring your question - I’d love to answer you. But future plans are something that the ST employees watching this thread can’t talk about.

1 Like

Understood.

Thanks for the reply!

I see what you did there :wink:

Any chance you can provide changelogs for Zigbee device firmware updates?

Please see Tom’s reply: Hub Firmware 17.11 Release Notes - #33 by tpmanley. The OTA changes with this release are pretty limited.