Hub Connected Devices Now Use Edge Drivers

I moved 1 to mariano’s driver and it works great. Just wondering when the rest will be automatically migrated. Then I can just do a driver change and not have to reset everything.

The only thing you would have to change if you move it to the stock driver is the preference to use it as a garage door.

• In my driver it is of type text, Yes or No, same in the DTH

• In the stock driver they have put it as a boolean type, true or false.

When they do the automatic migration, users who use it as a garage door sensor may have some problems until they change that preference to true.

What the stock driver does not have are the custom configurations of temperature reports, selection of the detection X,Y or Z axis for garage door and the acceleration threshold setting.

1 Like

@nayelyz
Thanks for the info. What tool is your screenshot taken from that shows the API call and response?

At work we use postman to call web APIs so I did a search and found a pre-existing postman examples for smartthings that I forked.

I was able to get location and devices working.

I created a bearer token and then it worked.

1 Like

That one is a mobile app I found that displayed well the results of the SmartThings API.

But yeah, I also use Postman or the SmartThings CLI on a PC. The last one has a process that helps you get authorization through a Web browser but you can also use a Personal Access Token in the commands :smiley:

I am seeing a lot of mixed messages about whether or not I can use Edge Drivers with my devices.
My V3 hub is on the newest firmware. I have never signed up for ANY special platforms or beta tests or anything, I’m mostly “stock” (outside of having some smartapps and a few custom DTHs). When I onboard new devices, none of them show the ‘Driver’ button, even though I’ve verified they’re on the list of supported devices. What am I missing?

You aren’t missing anything. You CAN use Edge drivers, but SmartThings is rolling out WHICH devices use Edge drivers in phases. So we’re currently in a transition phase where some device will still onboard with Groovy DTH and some will onboard with Edge drivers. If you post the make and the models of the devices we can help verify if they currently are supposed to use Edge or Groovy.

1 Like

OH! That’s a crucial detail that was omitted virtually everywhere I looked. All the documentation and discussion I saw just indicates that if the device’s fingerprints are in the official driver repository, it will be good to go now.
I’m not in a particular rush, I just wanted to understand what is going on. The device I was testing with today, for example, was a Tradfri 800lm warm white dimmer bulb.

Also…wait a minute…

I just tried it with a Tradfri dimmer button (the two-button model) - same result, it gets set up using the built-in DTH.

Bonus quick question - if one of your devices “defaults” to use the new edge drivers, until SmartThings pulls the final switch turning off Groovy, can you force it to use a DTH at all? Or is this a one-way street only from now on?

1 Like

Hi Jimmy,

Do you know if the Aqara Single Switch Module T1 no neutral Model no SSM-U02 will be supported?

Thanks in advance.

Does this Ikea bulb have adjustable color temperature? Currently only fixed temperature Ikea bulbs pair with Edge Drivers.

Edit: Ikea buttons aren’t released to production Edge drivers yet

I haven’t seen any plans to. The below model is the only Aqara switch currently supported with the default Edge drivers

However there is a community Edge driver that supports several Aqara switches you can check

2 Likes

If you want to check on your own whether XYZ device will pair with an Edge driver by default, go to SmartThings Edge github repo and look in the fingerprint.yml files for each driver. If the fingerprint isn’t commented out with # then it should pair with Edge by default

2 Likes

Thanks for taking the time to reply Jimmy, most appreciated!

1 Like

It is a fixed temperature, however it’s E26 and looking at the repository you linked, the E26 806lm fixed temperature variant is commented out. What a total mess haha. I’ll just wait until this is officially released.
Honestly I just wanted to understand where things are and why there’s so many mixed messages online. Thank you!

1 Like

I think the main message is that Edge is still in Beta so expect frequent changes. :thinking:

Separately, the Beta doesn’t have a clear official timeline and isn’t fully documented, so lots of confusion, for sure.

Most SmartThings users don’t know anything about Edge and don’t need to yet. It’s only if you want to try to get a jumpstart on what’s coming that you need to look into it now.

Of course, that was my understanding too. But then I saw some videos online, and even the very OP of this thread, which mention nothing of ‘beta programs’ and say that newly added devices should connect with drivers…
Anyway, it’s all good now, have a great day, everyone :smiley:

1 Like

@nayelyz I’m seeing some of my devices with discrepancies between the app and IDE as to what platform (?) they are using.

In the app they show using edge drivers.
In the IDE they show using DTH.

All were recently automatically converted to Edge drivers. (Previously transitioned devices do show up as placeholder as expected.) They converted to stock edge drivers and I changed them to use Mariano’s custom drivers. All devices are working.
Is this a big or expected and should I be concerned?

I have at least one that was automatically migrated to Edge that still shows in the IDE with a DTH assigned. I haven’t noticed any issues, so I wouldn’t worry about it. Just take it as another sign that the Groovy IDE shouldn’t be trusted anymore. The best thing to check to see which platform is being used is probably the devices command in the CLI.

I moved my first few devices (3 ZigBee temperature sensors, one ZigBee plug…all light use in sense of few automations) to edge drivers.

Very weird things happening. For one all the lights in the house keep going off. Others going on seemingly randomly. I got an intrusion notice as if the house was in away mode. And I got the attached error which I’ve never seen and don’t understand.

Any idea what all of this is about? Doesn’t bode well for 9/30.

Did you remove/add a lock… perhaps reset it?

No. I have a lock but didn’t make any change to that.

Hi, @Terri_Baker. Sorry for the

So, in the app, you notice they’re using a driver, because this option appears in the device’s details, right?
But in the IDE, the device type shows still a DTH’s name instead of “Placeholder”? This is what you see, @philh30, right?

We have seen that some values stay there with the same values prior to the migration, this includes route and other metrics. Despite they’re shown there, they won’t be updated anymore.

So, @philh30 is right, you should check in the app and the ST CLI (command: smartthings devices deviceId -j)

2 Likes