How to use the lock status to create notification

Currently there is a smart apps that uses a open/close sensor to push a notification.

I have a Schlage Camelot Deadbolt BE469NXCAM716. This device shows the status as locked or unlocked. Is there way to use this status and send a notification / alarm if the door remains unlocked for ‘x’ minutes during a mode (any or specific)?

Dashboard will alert you on that. Go into the locks section on the dashboard> click the gear in the top right> select the lock> profit.

@tslagle13

I tried that but it needs a sensor to use.
Instead what I’m suggesting is to use the “locked” status or “unlocked” status of the door lock and then notify the user.

I think I’m gonna add to the notify me when app that is already out there to include new stuff. Anything else you need notified on?

@greg, any ideas?

Rboy is right that section of the dashboard requires the use of an open close sensor. I assume because the extended lock doesn’t necessarily mean the door is secure.

I think the “notify me when” app is pretty comprehensive, other than lock/unlock. The only thing that would make it more comprehensive and perhaps make more sense to users is to combine the notify me when app with the is it secure app. I’m sure some users don’t realize that the notify me when app doesn’t address states WHEN mode changes, only events during the mode selected.

Example - using notify me when the garage door is open for more than 2 minutes when I’m in away mode won’t help you if the door was open when you enter away mode, unless you are also using is it secure from tslagle or is it open from gbronzer. This is especially important if you use a presence delay for changing to away mode.

Good point @greg. I think these apps need to stay separate though. If you start putting too much into an app it can get difficult to manage.

I’ll modify notify me when tomorrow.

Might be able to tell you what code was used too… If any

1 Like

Tim,

There is an app already that will tell you which user code opened the door. “home on unlock too” it’s really good.

sweet! i’ll take a look at that! Thanks man.

I knew we’d be good friends :wink:

Hello - totally new to smartthing so I apologize if this is obvious, but I was wondering if the notify me app was ever updated? I just downloaded the app and it does not appear to have a function to notify me when my lock is activated. Thanks for your time!

When you say notify, what notification are you referring to? Door lock/unlock, Door accessed with User Code, Door Alarm or Door Jammed?

Door lock/unlock apps are available as default apps, Door Accessed with User Code is available here:

Door Alarm cannot work (no notification) and Door Jammed is being worked on by @tslagle13

Some progress. I’ll keep yaall posted

Thank you for the reply. I was wondering if I could be notified with the door was locked or unlocked using any method (i.e. the keypad, via phone or just the simple manual twist). I can see how this must be complex to handle. I’ll wait and see what much smarter people than me develop… thanks agian.

Don’t think this is possible without some changes to the STs backend. If it is possible at all.

any word on this @tslagle13

Honestly I’ve been super busy. Still on my todo list though :). I’ll try and look at it this week/weekend

@Rboy @tslagle13

I know this is an old post but I was searching for a way to notified (text or push notification) on lock jamming.

Thank you.

Yes but you need to write a custom app to subscribe to the attribute (depends upon which / whose lock device handler you’re using).
Here is one that I’ve written which works with the stock ST device handler and also with my own custom zwave device handler.
This does more than just jammed notifications.

There may be other free ones available but am not aware of any smart app which only reports on jammed notifications.
My device handler highlights jammed notifications on the device page but you still need a smart app if you want a text or push notification.

1 Like

I’m curious if anyone is aware of an auto notification for when the alarm is set to arm away or stay and a door is already unlocked?

I have an older Schlage that isn’t motorized and can’t lock or unlock on its own.

Thanks

Is this what you’re looking for?

That would be what I’m looking for! Been spending a little more than expected on this stuff but watch for my paypal transaction in the next few weeks!

1 Like