How to Update Smartthings Hub (2018) Wifi Settings?

They’ve done a lot of things in the last 3.5 years since I bought my v1 hub that are hard to understand.

This might actually beat out all the others.

2 Likes

How about using the same ssid and login password with the new router?

Or hard reboot of the hub as a last resort?

That doesn’t help.

Somewhere on here a SmartThings Staff member said they added the Wifi change abilities to the just released firmware but it required a app update to take advantage of it. And allegedly there is a large update for the “new” app coming out by the end of this month. Not super helpful right now but its something.

1 Like

Thanks Ron, it is interesting in that I was setting up a system for second home, and purchased a new router (both asus but different models - but with Merlin firmware installed on each router) and used the same ssid and password on each and am 99% sure I was able to use wifi on both.

I switched to ethernet at the second home AFTER using wifi to pair the already installed Schlage lock as the lock was far from the planned hub location. I wanted to use ethernet as the home is a vacation home and not inhabited.

The only thing I could add to this is that I copied the router settings to the new router before setting up the Hub v2018, and both had Merlin firmware.

1 Like

An in-app reconfiguration option is coming.

A less than ideal but functional workaround:

1. Remove the ethernet cable (if plugged in)
  2. Press and hold the reset button on the back of the Hub
  3. The LED will turn solid blue and then go dark
  4. Hold the reset button for ~15 seconds until the LED rapidly blinks yellow
  5. Release the reset button when it starts blinking yellow
  6. The LED will likely go solid magenta and then briefly solid red
  7. Once the LED is blinking blue, open the SmartThings app
  8. Navigate to Devices and select “Add a device”
  9. Select Wi-Fi/Hub --> SmartThings Hub (IM6001-V3P) --> Wi-Fi
  10. 9 Scan the QR code as directed and finish setup

And this will NOT factory reset the hub / wipe out all devices?

(I don’t think so since a factory reset is holding the pin 50 seconds until solid yellow but just verifying)

1 Like

That is correct.

Smarthings SamCon shows a greyed out option to change/update wifi settings. May be for the wifi mesh net system? Hopefully an upcoming update allows us to change the wifi beacuse the above does not work. The hub goes into join red/green flashing mode but gives me a random list of 1-4 wifi networks from the dozen or so wifi networks that are around here, of course it only manages to do this 1 out of 10 times, the rest it just refuses to do a damn thing, app sits at verifying code until it times out then says Hub Not Connected.

So I had a similar problem. I set the hub up originally as WiFi when I got it and things were going great as I was in the process of converting my Lowe’s Iris system out. I needed to unplug the hub to move it closer to a device and when it powered back on it would not connect back to my WiFi. I was well in range of my WiFi as I have the Google mesh routers (4). I was never able to reconnect to the wifi so I had to plug it into the router and it showed back up. I tried the reset process above and it worked. Then I had to unplug it again and it was not able to connect since then even after going through the procedure above.

I have the same issue, I press the e dots but the only option available are “Information” & “Z-wave exclusion”.

I also tried from the settings menu but the “Update Wifi Information” Option is dimmed and not available.

1 Like

@Brad_ST - Any update or a timeline when this will work properly? It seems kinda silly that the ability to change WiFi in a WiFi enabled device isn’t available in a device that was released 5 months ago (without going through a manual reset procedure).

2 Likes

I second this. Very annoying. Just purchased a $400 Orbi system only to find out I can’t easily swap wifi networks. I’m all ST for years now, but cmon team…

2 Likes

So, it’s mid January now and still no way to update WiFi on this thing? How it’s even possible, that you rolled it out without that major feature at the first place

1 Like

See this article for how to change wifi config: https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002084806-How-to-add-a-SmartThings-Hub-in-the-SmartThings-app (scroll down to “Change a SmartThings Hub’s Wi-Fi network”.)

1 Like

Why is this a manual process involving powering down the hub and holding in the reset button??? It’s 2019… Are you saying there’s no way to just simply change the Wi-Fi settings through the app still?

1 Like

Huh, I didn’t actually notice that part. You shouldn’t need to as far as I know. You should only need to hold the “reset” button for a few seconds to re-enable the hub’s setup mode. (Note: this doesn’t actually “reset” anything, it is just how we make sure whoever is trying to change the wifi settings actually has physical access to the hub.)

I’ll ask around to see if I can figure out what’s up with that instruction.

Edit: Nevermind, the hub being offline is a requirement for that menu option to be available in the app. I don’t know why and I don’t have anyone I know who I can ask about that. :confused: Sorry.

Although I will still say, if your hub is already showing as offline, there’s no need to power cycle it.

2 Likes

I released the pin as soon as the blinking yellow started. I was able to get the hub working but the displayed devices were unreachable and had to be all redone. Smartthings really needs to have a configuration backup feature, not really a professional system until then.

1 Like

Patrick, why is this option grayed out in the new app. I’ve tried everything but it stays grayed out and not accessible.

Opposite of the standard IT question…

Is it unplugged from power?