How to tell if it's raining or snowing (Without looking outside!)

Cool find. Let us know how it goes and if possible a step by step of how u made it work :slight_smile: if it ever works

1 Like

@bamarayne
Did you get your sensors to work?

Lol… I’ve got all the parts and no time! I haven’t made them yet.

update us!

I just got my new sensors in the mail today… the ones I’m connecting to the rain sensor… update soon, I hope

Can’t wait :slight_smile:
I’m eager to see how you do it and if I can adapt it to some plant moisture sensors I bought

I have had two Hydreon RG-11 rain sensors for several years. Really pleased. They have required zero maintainance and are very dependable, no moving or exposed bits to tarnish.

Occasionally I get a warning and look outside and see nothing, then a minute later it rains.

http://rainsensors.com/

K

1 Like

I’m not 100% sure why you need them.
If your in Yorkshire, isn’t it always raining? :wink:

2 Likes

I invert the pupose for an ‘it’s not raining sensor’ !
Creating an ‘it’s sunny’ sensor wouldn’t be useful at all !

3 Likes

Kevin
Those look great - I haven’t had mine long enough to really test reliability butso far so good :slight_smile:

Hi could you explain how do u integrate it to smarthings?

Can you also include a step by step or post a video of your project? Would be great to see.

1 Like

So, here is my update for the rain detector.
I ordered this puppy from Amazon:

Paired out of the box as a THING.
Changed the device type in IDE:
Use a 3 foot old two wire power cord and stripped both ends.
Connected one end to the terminal on the sensor.
Used a project box to insulate from elements and dropped one of the ends into the storm drain by my house.

2 Likes

Hi can you show us ur project box? i lost you at the wire power cord

Will do. I will snape a photo of the completed device tonight.

I will check, but I think it was this one from Amazon.

1 Like

Hi, I just picked up a water sensor and other Foxx Project devices as they are on sale in the UK at Maplins.
My intention is to create a rain sensor but I’m having issues with the Foxx water sensor.
I can pair it to the ST hub but I don’t get any status updates after the pairing.
It automatically finds the zwave water sensor, should I be using a custom one, if so which one? On other threads there is a mix using the contact sensor and water sensor. I have tried both. Is there a modified one available? or do I have a duff sensor?

I’m just using the standard ‘z-wave water sensor’ dth but ‘tweaked’ to show rain/no rain instead of wet/dry
I have bought many of the Foxx project devices and haven’t had any problems connecting any of them

1 Like

Wondering if it would be better to wait for the aquara water sensor? could that work in determining if its raining

Eddy
Looking at this and it seems to be a standard sensor… the only difference is that it doesn’t have a cable and I don’t belive there is a dth for it yet
Of course the price is nice :slight_smile:

@sean-dev
I would remove it from ST then re add it
This may sort your problems.
I did notice that some of them need to be quite close to the ST hub to connect correctly