[OBSOLETE] How to: SmartThings_MyQ SmartApp using MyQ Sensors with IFTTT

Make sure you install the devices as well not just the smartapp. Go under My Device Handlers and install the appropriate device as well.

1 Like

Is there a way to read the tilt sensor battery? Right now the battery says 100% in the ST device, but I just got a myQ warning that the battery is low.

1 Like

Yes, if you choose to create the garage door as a door lock in MyQ Lite, then you can ask Alexa the status of the garage door. You do this by choosing Advanced on the “select which garage door/gate to use” page.

It works well for me, and I can simply say “Alexa, lock/unlock the garage door” and secure it with a PIN code for the unlock command in the Alexa app.

When I reach the IFTTT applet creation step, all I see under the smartthings device selection drop down is “Options Unavailable,” despite my virtual switch being selected as a linked device in the IFTTT service. Does anyone know why this might be?

@jpfeifer14, did you do that step on the MyQ site where you enable a free subscription?

I also received this error. I have saved and published the device handler. I’m confused by your reply here. “Install the devices”. Do you mean go into the ST App on my phone and install something?
Not sure if it matters, but I have the latest Gen3 Hub.

I ran into the same “devices. java.langNullPointerException” problem. I have uninstalled then re-installed the device handler & smart app multiple times. But I still go the same result. This seems to be the last step to get it working. I did get the notification from IFTTT when my garage door is opne/close. But the device status always shows open, regardless the door is open or close.

myq-lite-3 myq-lite-2myq-lite-4

1 Like

When creating new device handler from Template, it asks for Protocol. Is z-wave the right one? Once I select z-wave, I need to enter Z-wave manufacturing ID, Product ID, Model ID, Device join name, Name space. Is there any guidance about how to fill these fileds?

@2ndLeaf, choose LAN/Other for Protocol, not Zigbee or Z-Wave.

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion. I delete the device handler and create a new one. But I am still getting the same error. Here is the debug log:

debug Error at line number unknown: java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot get property ‘deviceNetworkId’ on null object

debug Error! physicalgraph.app.exception.UnknownDeviceTypeException: Device type ‘MyQ Garage Door Opener’ in namespace ‘brbeaird’ not found.

Based on my limited knowledge, it appears to stop at line 652:

childDoor = addChildDevice(“brbeaird”, sensorTypeName, DNI, getHubID(), [“name”: doorName])

But not sure how to debug it further.

I change the device type to “MyQ Garage Door Opener” then the “devices.java.langNullPointerException” error is gone. Now I am seeing “Missing MyQ ID” in connected devices in MyQ Lite app. Need further debugging.

@2ndLeaf, here’s what my device looks like:

Name DO NOT PRESS - Simulated Garage Door Switch and Sensor
Label DO NOT PRESS - Simulated Garage Door Switch and Sensor
Type Simulated Switch and Contact Sensor
Version Published
Device Network Id DONOTPRESS-Simulated1CarGarageDoorSwitchandSensor
Status ACTIVE

I named my device handler “Simulated Switch and Contact Sensor” when I created the device handler.

1 Like

Thanks, BartschLabs. My mistake was I didn’t install the Door opener handler from brbeaird. Once I did that, and follow your suggestion, everything works fine.

1 Like

Ok, I got through the steps only to realize that SmartThing_myQ may not be compatible with the new App. Is that correct? Do I need a “classic” app for this to work?

1 Like

Great instructions. It works perfect.

The only disappointment is that the lights are triggered at OPEN rather than OPENING. It would be great if they turned on when the door starts to open rather than completed opening (since they are my outside lights as well).

Has anyone found a workaround for this?

Did you get it to work in the new app?

HI, Thanks for putting this information out. I have a question, I load brbeaird MyQ into smartthings with a multipurpose sensor.

What does the IFTTT do to add functionality to bebeaird’s MyQ? Doesnt his monitor if the door is open or close if you use the multipurpose sensor?

and does this work in the new SmartThings App?

Thanks
James

nope, still hope to get help on this.

1 Like

Were you able to find a solution to this?

Yes, you need the classic app in order to have the functionality to add “My Apps”.