SmartThings Community

How To - Linear Garage door and Amazon Alexa

lineargaragedoor
alexagaragedoor
echogaragedoor
project_garage
project_voice

(Mark Westcott) #41

Just a thought for the open/on and close/off issue. Simply make an Alexa routine that uses open and close as the command. And on/off as the action. I’ll test this as soon as I get mine installed and running. But it should work.

(Jake Seaton) #42

This is exactly how I’m using the integration. I set up two separate routines, one for “open the garage door” and one for “close the garage door.”

Just wanted to mention that now that Amazon has added its own routines to Alexa it’s very easy to use whatever verbiage you want for your virtual switch.

So you can say “open the pod bay doors” or “lower the drawbridge” or pretty much anything you want as the trigger for your Alexa routine ( not a SmartThings routine, this is an Amazon feature created through the Amazon app).

Then have that routine turn on the virtual switch that triggers your SmartThings routine that opens the garage door.

You will still need one routine to open and one routine to close, but you could have the verbal phrase be whatever you want now. :sunglasses:

(Jake Seaton) #44

Does anyone have experience with the controller and open/close sensor becoming un-paired?

I had a power disruption about a week ago, and now the controller and sensor keep becoming unpaired for one reason or another. I’ve tried changing the battery in the sensor, only for them to unpair a day or two later.

Should I try a new sensor? Any suggestion on that front if so? Could my controller be on the fritz?

(Tim Lillis) #45

Is yours still working? My app closes and opens garage but Alexa just stopped. I did create a new skill with lambda function recently for my lights. The other smart things work

(Jason "The Enabler" as deemed so by @Smart) #46

After 2.5 years, Mine is still working great. I’ve never had a problem with mine. I have replaced the door sensor battery only once in all of this time. This has been my most trustworthy device in my system. I’m still using the original dth from the 1st post.

(Tim Lillis) #47

Mine was too but the Alexa side stopped is your voice control still working? I probably need to add and remove the device. It’s weird the smartthings app works fine it’s just the Alexa side

(Wtblock) #48

I installed two Linear garage door openers. After installing the first one everything worked fine. I went through the whole process with the second one, but the tilt sensor was defective and I received the replacement today. I paired it with the opener and SmartThings can control it fine as can my Action Tiles, but Alexa just responds that the second door does not support that. They appear to be setup exactly the same in SmartThings and Alexa sees them as the same type of device. I am hoping someone has a suggestion as to what may be going on. Thanks for this post.

(Wtblock) #49

I just need to remove the second door from Alexa and add it back in.