How to find a misplaced sensor?

So… I have three Samsung Multipurpose sensors and I’ve lost one.

I know it’s here somewhere because it’s reporting temperature changes, always somewhat hotter than the ones acting as door alarms.

Any ideas? Some sort of directional antenna? Moving the hub around until it loses connection and try to triangulate? Can’t imagine either of those would work well.

I wish they only cost $5 so I could just by a dozen and not care if I lose one. :slight_smile:

Fortunately, it’s the multisensor. That model is sensitive to vibration. So the least expensive way to find it is to methodically go around the house and knock on each wall. Check the app each time (or set up a notification) to see when the sensor registers the vibration. You may have to do it two or three times on each wall, say about every 4 feet. I know this is slow, but you should Eventually find it. ( remember that the sensor might be on the opposite side of the wall you just knocked on.).

A physically easier but more expensive way is to take a space heater and plug it into each room, leave it on for about 15 minutes, and watch to see if the temperature reading goes up. The problem with that method is that you’re going to use a lot of electricity to run the heater. Plus you’re heating up the house during the summer.

BTW, you’re not the only one who’s had this problem… :wink:

4 Likes

Stealing @JDRoberts idea but instead of heat. Close all windows and doors and have a fan blow cold air one room at a time. Maybe through a window. :smiling_face:

1 Like