[OBSOLETE] How to control anything with inexpensive Lutron Pico remotes

So i had everything working and it was great. i bought more Pico remotes thinking ill start controlling more and more smart devices with it. tried to discover Pico remotes and it wouldnt show up. got frustrated and removed the Lutron manager from my samsung smartthings account and readded it. every since then i cannot discover ANY lutron devices. Although my Lutron app shows all the devices raspberry pi pics up the clicks on the remotes BUT smartthings app doesnt see any remotes or devices.
Wanted to share that the Pi is acting as a Router to the Lutron Hub so Pi and Hub are on the same Subnet but my smartthings is on another Subnet. Not sure if they all have to be in the same subnet for this to work flawlessly.

NM … i think i answered my own question. i had NAT’ing enabled on the Pi which was acting like the router and providing internet access to the Lutron. i switched Smartthings to the same Pi network and now it all discovers and works. Hopefully i dont need other Wifi devices connecting to the SmartThings Hub cause the NAT is designed to prevent inbound connections. this is the only way i can protect the Node.js code which has my Lutron password exposed. this way even if my home Wifi is somehow hacked ( very hard to do so :slight_smile:) it will still prevent connections to the Pi network and the Lutron network. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I don’t know anything about the Samsung mesh WiFi, but I use TP link Deco M5 mesh routers and they have built in protection for free.

I see this thread hasnt been touched in about a year. Is there any knowledge of this still being a working solution to expose lutron pico remotes to smartthings without having to use the plug in dimmer solution? I am somewhat technically inclined and really would like to be able to use a pico by itself for scene control and use the numerous buttons for automations. Any info is appreciated. Thank you.

I would not bother with this integration. Hubitat has direct integration with Lutron and its capabilities are far superior to this. I use it ever day and it’s always fast, never fails. I don’t even think of it as a remote. Feels and operates exactly like a wired controller, and yet it has far more capabilities than a wired controller.

2 Likes

ok that makes me think about getting a hubitat hub now lol. I really want to be able to use the picos like a button and be able to have then in a wall faceplate like an actual wired switch. I just cant believe smartthings doesnt have this ability native to it. A real bummer. I hate to completely give up on smartthings though since a been with them for a few years now lol. Do you have the ability to integrate smartthings and hubitat together? And what features in your opinion are superior to smartthings? Just curious.

1 Like

Hey, sorry I didn’t see this. I’ve been selling a house and moving. Not fun.

Not sure if you went ahead with your Hubitat purchase or not. If not, you can indeed integrate the two with a community app called Hub Connect. It’s not that easy to setup, but it works. If you get more into Hubitat, there’s a built-in integration called Hub Mesh. That allows you to share devices across multiple Hubitat hubs with just a few clicks. No limits. It’s like the device is on the other hub in just seconds. Really useful for power users with multiple hubs.

Local control is the top feature benefit, and groovy is alive and well on Hubitat. This means there’s thousands of community apps and driver (aside from the extensive built-in list) that can either be ported from the SmartThings groovy code with little work, or created pretty easily and there are hundreds of Hubitat community developers already well versed in Groovy vs Lua.

You can try a Hubitat hub with a 90 day return policy. I would just go for it. It’s not that much to spend. I readily drop that much or more on just a few smart devices that can’t even do a fraction of what you can accomplish with a Hubitat hub.