How to control anything with inexpensive Lutron Pico remotes

Hi guys, bit of a novice here at all this…

Currently have lutron caseta dimmers and pico remotes throughout the entire house, working great. Recently added a few outdoor items (pergola lights and pool lights) that are on ge outdoor zwave switches. Working great with smartthings and voice but the wife and kids would like physical switches… I haven’t found anything that I can stick into a 2 or 3 gang decora wall plate and look good that is specifically intended to trigger zwave devices in smartthings but I got to thinking I wish there was a way to use some pico remotes as they look great with the wall mount kits… And thus a google search let me to this thread…

Now, unfortunately I understand that I must trash my existing lutron bridge and buy a pro bridge… Bit of a pain at $150 but alright…

Moving on though… Also have to buy a rasberry pi and go through those detailed but extensive instructions with the node server etc seems daunting to me… Then I see the mention of hubitat… I see the hubitat is about the same price as a rasberry pi starter kit but hopefully less complicated… My question though, if I go that route, am I switching away from smartthings to the hubitat ecosystem, or can I simply use hubitat to interface with the lutron pro bridge and than connect hubitat to smartthings?

1 Like

EnergyAvenue.com usually has the Pro bridge for $88.

1 Like

You can control devices on SmartThings with Hub Link, a built in app, or there’s a community app called Other Hub 2 that is two way, and there’s another community member working on bi-directional hub linker as well.

You’ll probably get hooked on the local control, but you can keep using SmartThings. Many users do for various reasons.

1 Like

Thanks I appreciate that. Unfortunately doesn’t ship to Canada though.

1 Like

So I’ll be able to add the pico remote to the hubitat and use it to control a zwave devixe that’s paired to smartthings?

Local control isn’t a big one to me as I do nearly everything through google assistant or alexa…

Yes you can. Local control from Hub to device is what Hubitat gives you. Right now you have 2 to 3 cloud servers that must all be working to control devices. With Hubitat, you often would just have one needed. Google or Amazon. When you use Alexa, commands go to the cloud, but execution of the task is local.

To control with a pico, you don’t even need Internet, which isn’t the case with the ST/Node.js setup.

1 Like

Hrmm… This sounds like an easier, just as functional and since I don’t already have a server about the same cost option as the OP unless I’m missing something…

So all I need is that pro bridge and the hubitat and I’m God to go? Amazon here I come.

Yes. I was running the setup in the OP and so happy with it, I wanted to give back with the post. But the nagging thing about it was if the internet or ST servers were down, none of it meant anything.

Not the case with Hubitat and Pico. You still need an internet and cloud connection for Amazon or Google obviously, but once Hubitat receives the command from the assistants, there’s no jump to another cloud. So even though there’s a cloud connection with Hubitat for things like IFTTT and the voice assistants, it’s not mandatory to keep devices controllable with buttons or a local dashboard.

You are also limited to 50 devices with the method in the OP, and one of them is the Lutron Pro Bridge itself. Hubitat has not such limit, as you can add multiple Smart Bridge Pros

I’ll definitely have to pickup these two items and play with this. By the sounds of it, It likely makes sense to connect as many of my devices as possible to the hubitat even if I wish continue to use smartthings as my main app. Then connect the hubitat to smartthings. I’ll still require the Samsung server to be up but will reduce or eliminate my dependence on the lutron server, maybe the nest server, perhaps the logitech server, etc etc etc… And at least my physical buttons will work in the event of a disruption.

Anyone have a lead on the best place to buy the pro bridge and the hubitat in Canada?

Yeah, I sold my ST hub in June of last year.

Lowest cost is $143 on Amazon.ca unless you get lucky like I did. Won an Ebay auction for $50 CAD and he was local so I picked it up.

Thanks. I apreciate all your help

1 Like

I would order direct from https://hubitat.com/products using the Canada link.

2 Likes

Yes, as @ogiewon said direct from Hubitat is the best way. I ships from Scottsdale, AZ via Priority US Mail. Amazon.com or direct are the only two points of distribution at this time. It takes about 10 days to get. I have two hubs, and did not have to pay duty on either one.

I hate to be on the ST forum steering people away from ST, but you can see in other topics that I have been previously frustrated by people recommending switching to Hubitat. That was, until I got my Hubitat hub. Lutron functionality was my biggest driving factor, as the relative unreliability and complexity of the node.js setups just eventually became too much for me to deal with. When home automation becomes a task rather than a joy, it’s time to make a change.
I was initially interested in seeing how the Lutron stuff worked with it, and possibly linking it with my ST hub. Now that I’ve worked with it for 2 days, I’m all in, and working as fast as I can to replace ST entirely in my home. Once you see how well integrated everything is in one place, and how intuitive it is, and how FAST and solid it is, it’s hard to stomach the way it’s done with ST.

Good luck, and +1 on the Hubitat vote! Even if you run it alongside ST, I will bet it’ll be the best smarthome purchase you’ve made in some time.

2 Likes

Does Hubitat expose it to ST as a switch or do you need to move your automations to Hubitat for it to work?

There’s a community app that most like. I sold my ST hub a year and a half ago, so have never used it. There is also Link to Hub which I have used and it works fine. However, didn’t run any ST automations there. I’m assuming you mean webCoRE automations? You are better to just recreate them. Rule Machine 4.0 allows conditional IF-THEN actions. You can automate with the same level of control, but it runs consistently fast and all automatons are performed locally. Backups automatically, update on your terms. Save the backups locally, so you can restore on your terms if you need it.

When I press the button 1 there is a 13 second delay before the lights turn on. Burton is almost instantaneous when turning off. Any ideas?

How long has this been in service? If you have not been experiencing this for long, then cloud lag somewhere in your setup could be this issue, and might just self correct at some point.

The only way I’m aware of to get 99% instantaneous response for non-Lutron devices is via a purely local integration with either HomeKit (Lutron via directly to a HomeKit enabled bridge or hub and at least one Lutron dimmer, then tied together with HomeKit automations), or a Hubitat Elevation hub via their direct Telnet integration (no-Lutron dimmers required). Similar to what you’ve done here, but no Raspberry Pi needed and much more capable.

1 Like

I’m having this exact same error - did you ever figure out how to fix it? Thank you!

Does this work in the new app, or will migrating from classic to the new SmartThings app trash this setup?