How to Connect Two Lutron SmartBridges to SmartThings?

I recently passed the 50 device limit on my Lutron smart hub, so I bought another hub. I now have some lights and shades on one and some on the other and planned to use SmartThings to bring it all together. I have seen that other apps (homesense is one of them) support multiple Lutron hubs, but I can’t seem to figure out a way to do it with the SmartThings app. Any ideas on how to make this work?

At the present time the official integration only supports one Lutron SmartBridge per SmartThings account. :disappointed_relieved: Make sure you send your question into support so they can confirm it and also they get an idea of how many people would like to see that feature.

There is a way around that which is to set up a second SmartBridge using the unofficial integration method, but that will require having an additional device like a raspberry pi acting as a "man in the middle " and is much more technically complex. So the option exists, but it may not be what you’re looking for.

1 Like

This is frustrating. I have the same problem. Because I exceed the 50-device limit on Lutron, I had to buy a second Lutron Smart Bridge Pro. But now I can’t add those devices into SmartThings.

I should have paid attention but I assumed the 50 devices meant actual power devices, not Picos, and I ran out after 35 switches and dimmers instead of 50. I need about 8 more to finish my whole house, but I also need to add several more Picos too.

What could lutron be thinking with this limitation? I’ve spent close to $4k on their products, but tough $hit, put it on eBay and spend $10k more?

If I have to do that, not one cent of it will be spent on lutron stuff, ever again. I suspect my attitude will be prevalent among the people they LEAST want to annoy, because we’re the ones who provide advice to dozens of friends and family members.

I’m hoping instead to find a way to use two hubs. I’ve just started my search, so I’ll get back to this board once I have more educated questions to ask.

The one bridge limitation is on the SmartThings side, not Lutron’s. You can have multiple SmartBridge Pros with Hubitat, Homeseer, Apple’s HomeKit, SimpleControl (formerly Roomie Remote), and several others. I’m not sure if Harmony supports more than one Lutron SmartBridge or not, but it may. You’d have to ask in the Harmony forums.

https://community.logitech.com/s/

Of these, Hubitat would probably be the easiest to integrate with SmartThings unless Harmony works. There are a number of community members doing that, although it’s usually to take advantage of hubitat’s local operations.

Hubitat Elevation Hub - Home Automation that is local

Definitely write to support at SmartThings and tell them you would like to connect multiple Lutron SmartBridges so they know there is customer demand.

The 50 device limit is lutron’s though. I suspect they could bump that to 100 or more by tweaking a constant in the source code. But I’ve had enough of the erratic performance and occasional long delays of the cloud based smartthings stuff. Hubitat is looking pretty good so far.

1 Like

It’s actually more likely to do with groupcasting and addressing. That’s a really common limit for lighting devices. The Phillips hue bridge has a limit about the same. When every byte counts, it’s very common to have a hard device limit of 63, and to set a practical limit of 50.

I am a hapless soul that like others, realized the limits of Lutron’s dreaded 50 device limit on ST AFTER I started furiously adding them to my ST account. I have now read every google search result to fix this and am hoping someone can help me with this issue. I currently have 75 Caseta dimmers plus a handful of Picos. I am transitioning off Wink, since all signs point to Wink shutting down (plus, I have had a horrible experience with Wink even though they are a very nice company).

I keep reading about people either doing a workaround to ST by setting up something through Rasberry Pi? Or is there another way to set up two Lutron hubs on a ST account? From my reading of many results, it seems like this can be done, but I can’t exactly find HOW people have done it. I will also send a note to ST too, hoping they allow their hub to access more than 50 Lutron devices, since it appears many others have done this.

Thanks for the help, even if you are repeating yourself, since I know this has been asked before. But it has been a while since this original post came out. Hoping there is an update.

The answer is the same as in my post #5 above, which is, after all, only 4 months old. :sunglasses:

1. get a separate device to act as a “man in the middle” server and then follow the instructions for Nate’s project linked to in post 5. This has been around for a couple of years, works well, and is quite popular, but the initial set up requires significant technical skill and only allows the addition of one extra Lutron SmartBridge.

2. get a Hubitat and use their integrations with both Lutron and SmartThings. This is newer. Setup is a bit easier, but still requires a comfort with technical instructions. It will allow you to have several Lutron SmartBridges. I don’t know the max limit, you’d have to ask them.

All of this is detailed in post 5 above.

1. I suppose another alternative I hadn’t thought of before would be multiple ST hubs each with their own account and multiple Lutron accounts each with their own SmartBridge, like one per floor. That would be the easiest to set up, no special technical skills required, but then going forward setting up automations and voice assistants like Echo could get complex.

@Mcollins354

Also, as already detailed above, the 50 device limit is a Lutron limit, not an ST limit. What you want ST to do is make a change to allow more than one Lutron SmartBridge, just as they allow more than one Philips Hue bridge or Harmony Hub. (At least I think they do, I haven’t tried it recently.)

4 months is not that long a time. True. :slight_smile:

Thanks for thinking of other solutions. I like the Hubitat approach and may try this out. I am not as concerned about lag time or the need for local control only, since i do operate things remotely.

Your suggestino for #3 triggered another thought: if I set up a second “location” in ST? I haven’t done it yet, but it seems like I could switch back and forth easier than logging in and logging out? I will try it out and see. Again, though, I assume this would only allow for one other Lutron Smartbridge. If you need three lutron smartbridges though, you probably could afford a butler to turn off your lights for you.

And thanks for the clarification on who to direct my suggestions toward. I will make sure to ping ST to allow multiple HUB access by Lutron. Sounds like, for your posts, the 50 device limit is not worth the effort since technically, this ain’t going to happen. But I will try to see if I have any pull with ST and get them to listen to me (answer: I don’t have any pull).

Thanks again for the quick reply. This is yet another reason why I abandoned Wink. The community seemed to be drying up.

1 Like

Unfortunately, you can’t do it with just a second “location” on your SmartThings account because the integration is at the top account level.

This creates multiple issues with a number of third-party integrations, including echo. Basically smartthings is not exposing the Location level to the third parties. So you just get one integration per account.

Well dang. I was getting hopeful, but thanks for the heads up before i tried it out.

1 Like

It’s the same issue as the following. Don’t get too excited about the “we’re working on it“ aspect of that article, though: it’s said exactly the same thing for almost 2 years now. :disappointed_relieved:

https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-us/articles/207808076-Amazon-Alexa-SmartThings-FAQ#Locations

Can I control multiple SmartThings Locations with Alexa?

No, not at this time. But we are working on an update that will allow multiple Amazon Alexa devices on separate Amazon accounts to control separate SmartThings Locations.

Just wanted to check back in a year later and wonder if there is any change with Smart Things on this? I had to switch to Hubitat since I have more than one Lutron Smart Bridge. I would love to come back to Smartthings if possible, but clearly not being able to connect more than one Lutron hub was an issue.

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

Unfortunately, nothing has changed since post 8 above from a year ago. :disappointed_relieved:

Thanks for the reply. Hmmm. I guess I will stick with Hubitat and keep my fingers crossed for Smartthings and Lutron to be better friends one day!

Thanks again for the quick reply.

How many lutron devices do you have?

I have about 130 total between Picos and switches. No shades or fans.

I am in shock that smartthings doesn’t allow for 2 lutron hubs. it’s been years. PLEASE TAKE AWAY THIS RESTRICTION!!!