How to change a connected item name in the app?

Existing SmartThings Customers:

200w%20(19)

or

200w%20(20)

4 Likes

Existing SmartThings Customers Who have been Waiting for Voice Navigation to be fixed since April 2017:

IMG_5116

3 Likes

If they replace all existing FAQs, emails and notifications around the two applications with this, it would be so much easier to understand:

giphy%20(35)

3 Likes

That just seems silly to me. If they know it doesn’t have all the functionality, why would they be telling people to use it. That’s like asking people to hate your product.

I can guarantee you that it’s not one group of people all kept in the loop about everything, and so everything internally is just so dysfunctional. I will bet if you talk to one support person about something, you will get one answer and then if you talk to another, a completely polar opposite spectrum of an answer and that’s within the same group.

It’s like 5 different people drafted up all the documentation surrounding both applications.

They have no idea what one hand is doing. The leg bone is connected to the shoulder bone…

Just like the people in the TV department having no clue about the integration with SmartThings and breaking it with their own firmware updates.

Dysfunctional to the nth degree!

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

Because as they keep telling us, their typical customer is not like the typical user of this forum. They have fewer than 15 devices, they don’t use any custom code at all, and support is hoping that the new app Will be sufficient for their needs. And if the new customer happens to be someone who has a fancy Samsung washer or television, they have to use the new app anyway. Or if they have a fancy new galaxy nine and they want to use Bixby.

So it makes sense in the context of a company that sells literally millions of televisions and mobile phones, and probably has about 35,000 customers who will still need the old app.

They do sincerely hope to get all the functionality into the new app and want to eventually move all of the old app customers over, so why not start with the new app?

It’s frustrating to the people who are power users who have the old app and relied on its functionality, but that’s not a very big percentage of the total users new, or old.

2 Likes

More and more I’m thinking that a migration over to Hubitat might be in my future.

Or maybe as an add-on. They don’t have any app at all yet. :wink:

I’m slowly separating and segregating my subsystems from ST already. I spent the last 24 hours Uninstalling several SmartApps and removing unused devices and getting things cleaned up.

Nest is now totally independent with the exception of ActionTiles being able to view my camera feeds (no integration needed). I’m doing all of my lighting automation between Nest and Hue/LIFX. Went back to complete native integration with Alexa.

Im about 99% sure I am heading to Abode as almost all my devices are compatible with a couple exceptions, Wemo and MyQ.

I am keeping ST around for a few convenience type Automations and devices.

Still not sure if I am going to do Nest Secure or run with Abodes security system. That will then have an impact on if I get the new Nest x Locks to replace my existing Yale T1Ls and then of course Keen inetgrates with Nest so I’m looking at that as well and whether I use Keens sensors or the stupid Nest BT sensors which more than likely are not going to be compatible to perform that integration.

Then of course I will be replacing some of my ST Motion and Multipurpose sensors with either Nest as part of Secure or another brand compatible with Abode.

Still mapping it all out over the next month. I will probably keep a couple devices with ST and allow it to run and if some sort of miracle happens along the way with ST (they get their crap together) I may look at it differently then. I believe we are going to go through this for the next couple of years until we see it all pay off and I have made the decision to go in a different direction and not wait for that to happen.

I enjoy it for what it is and am moving for what it isn’t and has become over the last 6 months.

As for the stability of Nest and Abode, the downtime they experience in a year, lol, well there just isn’t any downtime. As for Local processing even with ST screwed up as ST is, when it is up and running, I experience virtually no lag time in my environment, so the Hubitat for me, not really enticing. And when ST is down, my sub systems (Nest, Wemo, Alexa, Hue, LIFX) are all still running as they are ALL reliable and allow me to control those devices within their individual apps or via Alexa.

Learning everything I have with ST both positive and negative, I’m going to improve upon my integration down another avenue :sunglasses:

3 Likes

This is the only explanation that seems even the least bit logical.

Someone at Samsung must have said, “release that new app.”

Hopefully someone at ST said, “but it’s not ready yet.”

Then Samsung presumably said, “don’t care, release it now.”

3 Likes

I can only imagine the arguing and complaining that goes on in house over there and on conference calls. 10x worse than everyone complaining in the community. I will bet you that ST staff that we communicate without out here have gone to superiors and other groups / departments with issues and complaints from all of us and have either been shut down or told to shut up and do their job. I put money on it :money_mouth_face: :money_with_wings: :moneybag:

3 Likes

" And then exec management said: Who cares ? There is tens of thousands of folks out there who will test this for us and when we have time… and it suits us, we might have a look at it." Until then… let 'em get on with it.

Now… one word in support of the people who handled my email. I got in touch with tech support… and told them I DID NOT HAVE A SAMSUNG HUB OR KIT, but I had a questiuon. I fully expected to be told… Buzz off… buy the kit and then come back to us. INSTEAD… I got fast and very courteous replies and they went even sofar to refer my query up the line. Now… that is excellent customer service… for someone who isn’t even a customer! I told them so and told them to use my email and get it up the line. In a way… my heart goes out to those first-line support folks… they only have basic training ( if that !) and are trying to cope with a murderous amount of different inquiries. Let me tell you… it is a job I would NOT NOT want. Albert

Thank You, I have searched everywhere and was going crazy. You saved me.