How often is mobile phone presence polled?

It seems as though my wife’s phone always says present even when she’s not here. She turns her phone off at night, then she turns it on in the morning when she wakes up and she’s usually out of the house 30 minutes later. But it’s not registering that she left. Maybe during that half hour that it was on while she was at home, it was not Polled for location?

I’m wondering if she was home longer while her phone was still on, it would’ve been polled.

But on the same token, she’s been gone for six hours. Her phone is on right now. I should’ve registered away by now but it hasn’t. Still says that she’s present. Any ideas?

Btw: we both use iPhone 5s

First question: how far away does she go? If she just works down the street and her phone uses the same mobile tower, it may not realize she left.

Beyond that, there are a lot of things that can be involved. The following thread and the threads linked from it have a lot of troubleshooting tips.

I had the same issue with my wife’s iPhone 6. I followed the suggestions in this link and it has worked consistently ever since.

We’re using an iPhone 6s Plus (x4). Works great. Responds pretty close to the geofence settings. If you allow location services to run (including in other apps), it works great.