How many think Samsung has ruined SmartThings?

I have. It doesn’t work with voiceover. :scream:

Every image has the same description: “image.“

Links don’t work.

Focus is in the wrong place.

Dismissing the popup doesn’t work.

Just sayin’…

@blake.arnold

2 Likes

I have not migrated and will not migrate unless forced or until the “New App” is just as good or not better than the Classic App. However, SmartThings and the functionality I have is freaking AWESOME!!! So, I can’t say that Samsung has ruing SmartThings…

I am just keeping an open mind about all of this but the New App is not ready.

Actually the Classic App was even better than it is now. We had the Family Tab, we have Members and a couple other options that were deleted over time. But all in all, it’s really a good platform.

Voiceover…

Hopefully one day, ST will recognize the shortfall with not providing such a needed service that customers may need and depend on. The subject has only been mentioned for the past few years!!

Tagging @blake.arnold @SamsungZell @SmartThings @jody.albritton @Brad_ST

:unamused:

3 Likes

At this point, I think most people Who depend on voice readers have moved on to other systems. There are a number of choices that work well available now.

1 Like

BTW, Just for fun, if smart lighting is the most popular non-security Home automation use case for people who can see, what do you think is the most popular non-security home automation use case for people with vision impairment?

(Hint: what device do I always use to test adding something to a new version of the smartthings app? I’ve posted about it a number of times. :sunglasses:)

Your tag is noted :slight_smile:

In large part because of the feedback on this community, ST focused dev resources on closing all known VO/TB bugs in the new app so you should see significant improvements in the upcoming release. To be clear, it’s not going to be perfect as in doing the testing for those bugs we identified a few others that weren’t 100% reproducible that will have to be addressed next cycle. We are also incorporating appropriate WCAG standards as a requirement for future UX revisions.

3 Likes

Be still my beating heart! :wink:

Please say it’s WCAG 2.1, not 2.0. There are several specific 2.1 issues that apply to my use, some of which I’ve mentioned in the forum. These are for people who, like me, have limited hand function whether or not they have vision issues as well.

Remember this UI issue from back in 2014? It was one of the first accessibility problems I reported with the smartthings app. This was specifically addressed in WCAG 2.1. (If you weren’t around in 2014, you had to literally shake the phone in order to get the text labels on the device icons to appear. :scream: )

• Problem:I can’t shake my phone; it’s connected to my wheelchair. So there needs to be another way to activate that feature, like a button.

But even if it’s just 2.0, I’ll take it. :sunglasses:

And for those unfamiliar with WCAG:

What is in the WCAG 2 Documents

WCAG 2.0 and WCAG 2.1 are stable, referenceable technical standards. They have 12-13 guidelines that are organized under 4 principles: perceivable, operable, understandable, and robust. For each guideline, there are testable success criteria , which are at three levels: A, AA, and AAA.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled topic. LOL!

3 Likes

Unfortunately this is me as well.

After trying ST new app, none of my custom DTH UI works and that’s the last straw for me.

Moving to HA on a Pi next week and will need to redo everything I had in groovy, unfortunately. But at least this will be the last time I’ll ever need to do it.

SmartThings is now junk, I made the mistake of upgrading to the new Samsung app just yesterday because it has been pestering me. Now I regret it… It’s the most useless, non-informational bunch of watered down tripe ever coded. Even if you’re “not a tech person” it’s not like this app is going to be useful to you… You have to know enough nitty gritty tech stuff to get home automation working beyond a single blanking hue bulb! So that means the rest of us, the real users, the power users are getting the short end here. They are taking away everything that made SmartThings smart… They will steal a lot of people’s hard work, lock us all out of the IDE (the real SmartThings)- Stuff that worked for years now will all be broken, crippled or removed, if hey aren’t already, and I am NOT going to stick with SmartThings if I have to rebuild my network to make it work, because I know what to expect from Samsung now!I wish someone that knows what they are doing could buy that arm for cheap and return it to it’s former glory, but alas, Samsung’s just bent on selling you an already obsolete “smart fridge” and killing SmartThings.
RIP SmartThings- you were ahead of your time. Now to find a replacement that doesn’t suck.

1 Like

“Doesn’t suck” Is a subjective assessment.:wink: every platform has pluses and minuses.

That said, Hubitat will run most of the existing groovy code for most of the same devices that work with smartthings, so a lot of people have that on their candidate list. The app is rudimentary, but you can use sharptools with it and that’s a nice polished interface. It does expect you to have some technical knowledge, though, it’s not aimed at the “plug and play“ consumer market.

Abode is another platform that works with many of the same devices as smartthings, but it doesn’t run the same code. Very nice app, lots of nice features, including much better security system features than smartthings ever had. Very easy to use. But doesn’t allow for customization the way smartthings and Hubitat do.

I switched my mission critical use cases over to HomeKit A couple of years ago and have been very happy with it. Everything is simple and reliable and plug and play with a very nice app. Also everything runs locally except voice control. And it keeps getting better. You can support more complex rules with Shortcuts and you can support many more devices by adding homebridge, but I haven’t felt the need to do either of those.

But different things work for different people. There are definitely a lot of options to look at now. :sunglasses:

1 Like

And being forced to live in it… ironic considering this was posted in Feb 2019 and it’s still hardly framed in.

4 Likes

It’s like seeing the run-down house down the road covered in Tyvek Homewrap for years, without the siding ever added.

2 Likes

Oh man I wish I was at the office right now. I have the perfect picture of that for that comment…

2 Likes

Does anybody honestly think the new platform/app is ready for prime-time before 10/15? I have a lot of sluggish performance issues and don’t get the same details in the logs (like who unlocked the door). I have accepted that I can no longer add custom devices, but I’m not happy about it. It really isn’t ready for prime-time. In my opinion this is how Samsung has ruined SmartThings… but I don’t know what to migrate to that is better.

Are you sure that is correct info? :slight_smile:

I sure hope it’s not true… but I tried to add a device I have with a custom device handler on the new platform (ZWN-SC7 Enerwave 7 Button Scene Controller) and It would not find it. I switched back to the old APP and it added as normal.

It’s true for some custom device type handlers, but not all. They have to be updated to work with the new app and in some cases the original author is no longer supporting the code. The best thing is to ask in the author thread for the DTH and see if anyone is working on updating it.

Also, if you were trying to add it using the scan nearby option, you can try - in the by brand section using the z-wave option for z-wave devices to see if it is found :slight_smile:

Not saying it will find it but worth trying

I did an exhaustive search, I’ve been using SmarThings for 6+ years (V1 Hub) and know discovery doesn’t always go super smooth :slight_smile:

… this month, and they’ll need to be rewritten next year when Groovy goes away. Some developers have already decided to throw in the towel and not do throw-away work, especially when updating to work with the new app is painful.

3 Likes