How it works... doesn't tell how it works

Thanks for all the comments, it is clear to me this is not the way to go for me.
presentations like:

(also check some of the other links to that video).
And other articles about weakness in security camera’s (even highend very expensive ones) make me still opt for a wired solution based on more solid foundation of security.
where a firewall and a VPN can make a difference and are at least part of the whole equation, with the least amount of parties involved.

For me, now, no smart things like this implementation for the IoT.

It’s easy to generalize the whole z-wave to have security problems when there’s a bug in one of the “things” that uses z-wave.

This would be a good read for you.

1 Like

I agree, i knew that link as well although your link was also referenced on a forum with a post date from 2011 and Blackhat is 2 years after that. [don’t have the link anymore ]
Please check also the others like hacking 20/22 devices in 45 minutes and webcams like in holywood… (where multi K$ camera’s are as easy to hack as cheap knock offs, the only extra trouble was how to get a firmware image, an entertaining movie).

It’s the way the industry looks at “how to build your IoT solution”… were security is an after thought at best (AFAICT). And all equipment that is delivered can only be used as is and needs to be trown away and new stuff need to be bought to get the “added” security.

With this lacklustre attitude toward security( not just IoT industry, but ICT in general), IoT is heading for a disaster. Esp. with everything going through “Cloud” servers etc.
At least the cloud servers can be repaired.
Then another Question what if Samsung decides in 2 years that the Smartthings is so 2015 and the central hub is a burden they don’t want to carry around anymore and terminate the whole SmartThings thing… How long will all SmartThings stuff still work after that.
Or a manufacturer just goes out of business, or decides that a new product range is far better then an old one and terminates the current services.

The current practice is a high risk one for the consumers, not for the producers.
For producers the worst that can happen is they need to build more than before.

Like i mentioned before, my line of work means i would be without a job after one goofup (outage of service for >5 minutes per 24 * 365.25).
And not like all camera’s from a factory (and other rebranded ones as well) all have the same mistake like hardcoded passwords etc. even after giving a warning about some models to that factory. Even as that is a common knowlegde DONT in security related products.

This seems to be a good place to ask this question but if there is a better thread with more information please point me to it. :smile:

Concerning events being queued up while offline and reported when online this does not appear to be what I have seen and I was curious if anyone had better information.

I have a V2 hub and my internet connection was down overnight and this morning. The door that we leave through has a contact sensor on it. The internet connection is back up now and the hub is responding and online. When I go to the Door entry under things and look at the Recently tab it ends last night and has not reported any of the events from when we left this morning.

I will verify when I get home that it is still reporting but there does seem to be a gap in the events list while the hub was offline and this is not what I would have expected.

Any thoughts?