How has SmartThings affected you?

Check this thing out!!! Camera, room to room, house to house, mobile to house voice!!!

And it’s got Alexa!!!

Oh I know what I want for Christmas!! about 6 of these!

https://www.amazon.com/Nucleus-Anywhere-Intercom-built-Service/dp/B01ENWYKRE/ref=pd_sim_60_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=51gpTe5aO6L&dpSrc=sims&preST=AC_UL160_SR160%2C160&psc=1&refRID=XAXB5YTEE5BS8SX1W0KK

They are on the market!!! just out of stock

1 Like

Oh ya baby, Cloud cameras and microphones every where! Put one in your shower and toliet bowl as well.

3 Likes

What? This?

You bet, the lighting from that helps the cloud camera see.

2 Likes

You don’t want it. The Alexa on Nucleus requires that you tap the button on the screen. Actually, everything requires that you tap the button on the screen with the nucleus. Plus, even though it says it can do group casting to all rooms, it can’t at present. You just have the button for a specific room. And it doesn’t have a web browser, so you can’t do anything else with it, not even smart tiles. It’s just that one screen with its own buttons.

Well, OK maybe in your household you would want it. But only if you want a $400 video intercom that you have to touch to activate. I’m pretty sure you could get the same functionality for way less with some of the intercom apps on a phone.

I think it’s a nice device for little kids, especially for little kids where you want to one tap video intercom to talk to grandparents at a different house. But again there’s the price to consider.

So don’t be fooled by saying it has Alexa. It has some Alexa web services, it doesn’t have all of them, and it’s not hands-free.

1 Like

I’m currently accepting donations…

In this case… it’s trash!

1 Like

me too!!!

Only one of us has a garage full of stuff to disposition… :hamburger:

SmartThings should come with a health warning!

My wife received a push notification the other night, she showed it to me. My response… your right it is after sunset and the garage door should be shut :slight_smile: As mentioned above ST has introduced me to Hue amongst other things. It’s revived my interest in tinkering and building things. I’ve got a smart door bell that cost me less than £20 and I’m working on a project that will light up the entire house external for not a lot of cash!

I’ve been ripping through the garage getting rid of everything I don’t need to fund my habit and bring my next fix. Only last week I sold a load of X10 stuff on eBay to some poor individual that will eventually discover ST (I actually feel a little guilty about that).

I have a Yale lock being fitted on Friday and I’ll be adding extra fire/smoke alarms, one with a relay so I can add detection to ST.

How did I ever manage without it!

MORE DAMMIT I WANT MORE!

4 Likes

I should also add it would be useless without the community. Outside of Hue and basic contact sensors I’ve implemented thermostats, unsupported devices, I use CORE, I have an automated garage door and I use numerous SmartApps all developed and generously offered up by an amazing community.

To answer the original questions in this thread SmartThings has affected me, massively, but it would be useless without the Community that make it what it is!

Mustn’t forget SmartTiles. The prospect of a central control tablet please me. Awesome contribution to the community!

4 Likes

I find myself in agreement with 95% of what’s being said in this thread. The bit I’d like to add – sensors and switches are great, but where’s the ST connected robots? Yes, I’ve seen the roomba thread (which is awesome), but manufacturers need to start selling indoor drones that can communicate with the IoT to perform tasks. Imagine:

“Alexa, bring my tea to the living room.”
<Quad copter launches off charging station, picks up the mug, flies it across the house and returns to the dock>

Is anyone else finding themselves wanting more than the current batch of HA devices? Is it just me??

3 Likes

Here in the UK, lack of Amazon Echo means that the magic hasn’t really touched down here yet. For me, ST is great for lighting automation/control, and making sure nobody’s in the house when we’re not.

One game changer for me, is to be able to flick a light switch to enter night mode, and turn off all downstairs lights and lamps, as well as prevent hallway lights coming on with movement. That still makes me think about how great ST is each time I do it.

I look forward to getting Alexa (or equivalent) one day, and telling her to do the ironing or cook dinner!

1 Like

I’ve found value in SmartThings and Alexa together, especially when I’m getting ready in the morning, have my hand full, and can just shut off all the lights by asking.

Now, though, I catch myself saying Alexa to my Android phone, instead of the horrible “OK Google.”

1 Like

You should investigate this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOSBUU74SHc

2 Likes

Alexa Listens app can change that very quickly. Try it, it brings Alexa in your car without plugging in additional hardware.

1 Like

I use the app Roger for the same thing.

1 Like

Yeah, but you cannot say ‘Hey Alexa’ to Roger, you have to touch your phone…

Oh… I’m gonna check that out!

1 Like