How has SmartThings affected you?

Hehehe…! My wife and I look at each other whenever we’re staying overnight somewhere and wonder out loud: “why aren’t the lights automatically on? Why can’t alexa turn on the coffee maker here? Where is she anyway? Have we travelled back in time? What are light switches?” #funnybecauseitstrue

5 Likes

All it needs now are robotic hands to manipulate the environment…

Roger has a new trick using IFTTT. I can turn on a SmartThing switch and through IFTTT I can have it say something in Roger. Also a recent update in Roger can automatically speak response with a choice of one female or male voice. The only issue I found in the car with my iPhone connect to my vehicle via bluetooth is that I cannot hear it, but I still need to see what setting I can adjust.

Static text to speech output? meaning one ST swtich queues IFTTT to send one static string to Roger?

What is a use case?

So far any activity that SmartThings can do in IFTTT can be the default response of Switch on and date/time, or a customize response or a combination of both in Roger. The first one I made is a reminder to set home alarm if not set when house goes into sleep mode using a virtual momentary switch and Core. Another one I tested this morning is a voice alarm clock using the date/time option in IFTTT with response in Roger speaking the Blue Lantern Oath.

You can also use CoRE & IFTTT bidirectionally via the Maker channel - CoRE can trigger IFTTT events and IFTTT can perform CoRE actions. Not as nice as native integration into IFTTT, but works.

1 Like

I have a Vizio tablet remote, I was thinking about using Smarttiles with, as well as the harmony home remote. I should set up virtual moods for my living room. May take motion out of it.

@SBDOBRESCU
In my gameroom, I have it set up for no motion it turns off. I guess I don’t move enough when playing ps4 and I get a turn off at least once a session. Dim down first is a good idea. Thanks for the idea!:+1:

I use SmartLighitng for 90% of my lighting automations, runs locally, and is quick. Try to keep the rules as simple as possible, think it has helped me avoid too many issues.

3 Likes

You can also use an iris motion sensor… If you set it really close to where you always are they are super sensitive… It will pick up a finger moving. I have one right next to the toilet sense is out of sight of the motion sensors in the throne room.

This is where smart outlets come in handy, I keep all my activities centered around motion, but when I know motion will be low, watching tv, playing games, etc, I make sure the CoRE Pistons evaluate power as well, it’s amazing how accurate this can be. My office piston knows when I’m working on my desktop, playing games, watching video’s, or working at my workbench, all based on power usage profiles. My light and fan do different things depending on motion and those power readings. Works very well, but took a long time to get just right.

2 Likes

If you’re willing to share I’d like to see your pistons on this to give me an idea of where to start.

This is the primary piston and one activity piston, I then have some that reads power levels and if different than this piston, it sets lights/fan as needed, I think four pistons are tied together for all of this. Temp readings are taken for the fans as well. These are the base level readings, others build on it as usage increases (ie second piston,) that way dimmer levels for example will revert to previous levels automatically without doing state saves or variables.

3 Likes

Awesome, thanks

Ok, it’s fixed now. The developer is very responsive. Give it a try

Have 2 in the room and they do a pretty decent job.

@michaelahess
I just got my harmony remote set up on that TV. I can use that as a trigger. Whenever PS4 is On turn on lights. Thanks for the tip!

1 Like

I love my Fire TV in the living room. Even if I am not using it the voice remote is nice.

I can see everyone like their ST setup :smiley:

Right now I’m kicked back by the pool, I told Alexa to play some Beach Boys music through the remote microphones… My friend Molly arrives, and Alexa blurts out “Hi Molly” …because PRTG saw her phone connect to my house WiFi and told SmartThings she was here. She tells me she’s going to jump in the pool. The Blink cam gets a great shot of her making faces as she bounces off the diving board… the wet sensor feels a wave and gives my phone a buzz (even though I know the pool is intentionally being used.) The pool house refrigerator lets me know the beer is at the perfect temperature…and about now I wish I had a robot to fetch it for me. Molly climbs up out of the pool and gets it for me, she so nice. She tells me I’m almost out, so I ask Alexa to put more on my shopping list. Molly tells Alexa to change the music, then asks about the pool, Alexa tells her its 84 degrees in the pool, and 90 degrees outside - Alexa starts playing They Might be Giants songs - then she jumps back in. While she’s paddling around, I order pizza. Then jump in the pool myself.

10 Likes

Where do I get a Molly? I need one of those to fetch my beer too!

7 Likes

What is this?

1 Like

It’s monitoring software that runs on a PC. You access it with a webpage. It can try to connect to IP devices using lots of different protocols, like to check if webpages are working, or if a device is pingable, or even ask questions of the device with the SMNP protocol (how fast is the cpu fan running, how much data per second are you sending, etc). When it detects devices are up or down or a situation occurs, it can do things…like send texts, emails, go to webpages, etc. It’s free for up to 100 probes.

For status PRTG can call a webpage like a smart app that’s listening when an event happens, if you know how to make web server calls from a smart app, you can also ask PRTG for the status of things too.

1 Like