How does the Light Switch Effect My Smart Bulb?

Hi there,
I am using 3 tcp rgb bulbs in my house. 2 in the kitchen & 1 in the bedroom.
The bedroom bulb works with no issue over voice and with the wall switch.
The kitchen bulbs however work only if the wall switch is left in the ON position.
Once it is changed to the OFF position, both bulbs go offline.
According to TCP support, i cannot use the wall switches as it resets the device back to pairing mode.
This is not the case with my bedroom bulb as it is functioning no issues.
I did notice in the TCP app, the two kitchen bulbs are added with a different icon. See Below
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/MKFUvEj6kjSfuUb6xiia-VO_N4KaRgkK3PU_iT0iY1nC0-pm8GjRzlzzyqmbcUIG2VTl8s_lc_7d4WnKHxe0yyleOCk-FpZeZe5MYrMs82Ksd-SVIYhUP8uAKrIIXq96yOoiFcauRh4-Dd7u5JzV_Noc2Y0Z2kUkBlEd5zzcBocpHN5xsJIYUnzxP2NMabBE-l6aUq12Cgekt6ApZzsIcn1leyN1N7xQQIDK8tJ0ITxy0pRo-F95DE7Jl_cUAYmTlkVqGoJ_2hZ9EaxXZvDsBxMPxhCG3D9-YyFpfIaQSgA3sbnSacX7MkRcXZ1a0z37F4PuLRNF8KePd7t6RuG4Ylla4SzmiHnBXxg8385ScPH11AY1GnUIG8lQveMKWHjEZeSuoQNWtYDTUIy-BhGEcSCzAN82qbvxbSOiV9lGV723CFxCe6QIrvRoM6u1-YiCLeYxl06oVpzQDTD3D5iRQvh62Ajo12xE3qYhcAAiUNf2bdW_W16O2Q5kMGA2Syvnv4JonDeOKVf-g7ssdgSblt0XUwVNl7D8P5FzYiAjT9iJecejoDTnTosNWpLIKcR_pAYKNmuaf90HX6EOnUGI7qt_oakWQ5h9Qv5VK65V6C-Ee0d4LdMKEItQjws1aUK4Pxi_PFePWjEQmh-_m3YHlM17br94LUHQgspv_BYjZPAYDKCvfj5aTEbo=w444-h937-no

When you say “wall switch” you mean normal switch without any smart insert? If so, NO smart bulb will be controllable with the switch turned off. If you have any smart bulbs you can turn on with the switch off then you urgently need an electrician to check that your electric wiring is safe!

2 Likes

Additionally, you shouldn’t use a smart bulb in a switched environment. They are designed to be powered on full time, and constantly turning the power to them on and off will significantly impact their life span. Typically, when bulbs are used in switched runs, some sort of guard is placed over the switch to keep people from using it.

Regarding your bedroom bulb, it is physically impossible for it to work if the power to it is off. So you might think you’ve turned it off with the switch, but you haven’t. If that bulb continues to work, then there is power to it (and you shouldn’t be using the switch anyway).

2 Likes

Badly, as the others have said. Powering off smartbulbs will also impact the performance of your zigbee/zwave mesh (depending upon the bulb if they’re not wifi).

2 Likes