How do you stop a smart app?

Ordinarily, when you go into that section, it will have All Modes checked. Once you check any other mode, that is deselected; you can check any you want the app to run in. For most apps you never mode restrict them at all. So usually it’s just a matter of selecting you disable mode, and that would do it. NB. There have been some ST backend bugs and failures over the past several weeks where sometimes an app will run in the wrong mode, that is, it will run in the restricted mode. Bug. Fail.

All “single page” apps get the mode restriction selection automatically, and the implementation takes place outside the app itself. In “multi-page” apps, this isn’t the case, and the app author must add the code explicitly to select the mode and to manage the restriction. There are several examples of this code available in the IDE, and I have it if you find that you need it. SmartThings also just introduced some new capabilities for restrictions in apps, that show up in Smart Lights. They haven’t released the code for those yet, although I did manage to reverse engineer what they did.

1 Like

@bravenel

In the app I’m working with right now (which happens to be your Garage Vent Fans - thanks again, by the way. It and the rest of the system is working very well), the ‘Set for specific mode(s)’ option only has a list of modes with checkboxes.

There is no ‘All Modes’ option. So, to go back and forth from enabled to disabled, it’s a matter of either checking all normal modes and unchecking my ‘disabled’ mode, or vice-versa. Yes?

Side thought…just checking to see if I understand the logic of how to use the ‘All Modes’ option - in this context - where it does exist…

If I tell this app (your vents one) to only function in my new ‘disabled’ mode, and if I never put the system into that mode, that will be my way of disabling that SmartApp.

If I click the ‘All Modes’ option where available in other SmartApps, it will basically enable it; and even though the new ‘disabled’ mode is selected in the bunch, it won’t matter, because the system will never be in that mode anyway.
Right?

What mobile app are you using? In iOS it looks like this (from Garage Vent Fans):

You are correct, that All Modes, however you come up with it, the Disable mode won’t matter. Only if that is the only mode selected would it matter.

I’m using Android; latest version.

In mine, there are only checkboxes for specific named modes; not one for All Modes.

I assume when you first open it that all are checked?

Well, I have already second and third opened it and don’t recall for sure the state of the checkboxes on the first open.
Do you mean you want me to completely closeout the app and reopen? Did that, and same.

For me, when I open the garage vents app, it has the normal ones checked and the ‘disabled’ one unchecked, which is how I configured it previously. I would uninstall and reinstall it (to see what it’s like from the get-go if it weren’t already perfect and in fact, working for me this very moment :slight_smile:

1 Like

just FYI…I just checked when installing another SmartApp, and it also lacks the ‘All Modes’ option; just the known, named modes are there.

Update: Sorry, I just realized…

all-checkboxes-unchecked = ‘All Modes’ :slight_smile:

@bravenel

Hey Bruce, I don’t know exactly what may be the problem, but I just tested my ‘disabled’ Mode to temporarily disable the Garage Vents app, but it didn’t do anything…oh, wait…when plugging in a smart device (a power plug, in this case), it turns on automatically at first, no matter what, doesn’t it? If that’s the case, then my real-world test needs a tweak…

I hope you have a sense of humor, because I’m laughing right now wondering what’s happening… :grinning:

1 Like

OH ya, me too lol don’t worry :slight_smile:

Now it seems like two things are not working properly with this SmartApp…

1. like I said above, the ‘disabled’ Mode is not working.
  2. The ‘SmartWeather Station Tile’ SmartApp (which is where my Garage Vents app gets the outside temp from) is not refreshing, and the add-on SmartApp that is supposed to force it to refresh every 5 minutes is not working.

I was really hoping not, but I’m starting to think this may simply be a surfacing of the problems I was experiencing right after they did the big upgrade a couple weeks ago or so. Probably not the best thing to be talking about it here in this thread. So, I will stop that (and go back to my "What’s Going On?’ thread). lol

1 Like