How do you set up Tasker to wake your tablet when you walk up to it

Ah, gotcha. Yes, I use the $50 fire. I have it set to dim/bright with Tasker and motion detection, but the screen just dims, it doesn’t shut off completely (but I never have to unlock it).

I have installed CM12 on a spare Fire, replacing the amazon OS completely, and am going to experiment with that to try and set something like you want up.

1 Like

Oh I guess that works too. Yeah I have been wanting to get rid of the Fire OS overall, there isjust too much restrictions. Do you happen to have a link to a guide for CM12 on Amazon Fire 7 on version 5.1.1? I think I might go with that route as well. Thanks for the quick replies!

1. Used the super tool script to root the device and install FlashFire: http://www.rootjunky.com/amazon-fire-5th-gen-supertool/

2. Then followed this guide to install the custom rom and google apps: http://forum.xda-developers.com/amazon-fire/orig-development/rom-cm-12-1-2015-11-15-t3249416

The only issue I had was that Flashfire 0.30 hung when it tried installing the google apps, so I had to install and use Flashfire 0.27.

You’re fast and helpful, thanks roofone! I actually just installed CM12, going to mess with it now! There is an option to remove the padlock, now I will try the motion detector + tasker to see if I can get the motion detection to work completely.

Great. Let me know how it goes? I’d like to get the same thing going.

Hey roofone! So I got it working perfectly with motion detector + tasker, everytime I walk by my tablet it wakes up and I have my smarttiles ready to for use. It is working flawlessly now that I am able to remove the “swipe up to unlock” option in the CM12 ROM. Thanks for your help and responses, it helped me to get it all working!

These are the steps I took in case anyone else wants their Amazon Fire 2015 (7" in my case) to get motion detector + tasker working:

1. From a factory Amazon Fire 2015 tablet on Fire OS 5.1.1 (Should work on 5.1.2 as well), I rooted it using the superuser tool from rootjunky (everything is ran from a .bat script and very easy and fast. (http://rootjunkysdl.com/files/?dir=SuperTool)

2. Once the tablet has been rooted I installed FlashFire from here (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.chainfire.flash&ah=7sG_01kQgz56XedxiVAMkWlHnwI), current version is v0.31, older ones should work as well. Then I proceeded to downloading the necessary files to flash the CM12 ROM (currently android 5.1.1) from here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/amazon-fire/orig-development/rom-cm-12-1-2015-11-15-t3249416. I downloaded both the CM-12.1 and GApps (ARM Platform, Android 5.1, Stock File, you can use anyone as long as you get the Play Store).

3. Once I have CM12 running along with Play Store, I downloaded Motion Detector + Tasker + Auto Start and followed this guide here: (http://android.stackexchange.com/posts/108443/revisions) and remember to use “org.motion.detector.ACTION_GLOBAL_BROADCAST” as the ACTION on step 19 instead of org.jastrzab.move.ACTION_GLOBAL_BROADCAST (OLD).

4. Remember to go into settings and change your screen lock security type to “None.” That way as soon as motion is detected the tablet screen will wake and be ready to use.

5. A few tips is play around with the sensitivity within Motion Detector to get exactly how you want it. I left mines on the highest sensitivity first than slowly moved it down to my optimal preference.
    **NOTE: I was new to CM12 so I didn’t notice if root access is needed, you can click on your build number to bring up the developer tools and then switch on root access for apps.

4 Likes

Awesome. I’ll try it tonight. Thanks for the write-up.

Have you noticed that CM12 feels much faster than the Amazon OS?

Yeah it does feel a lot faster and more responsive, almost like it was the factory OS and the Amazon OS is the custom ROM lol.

Hi Guys,

I am very new to SmartThings and am also trying to achieve the above as well.

So far the status of my project is as follows:

I have a spare tablet, so I have downloaded Motion Detector, Tasker and Secure Settings.
I have followed instruction above and managed to add
"org.motion.detector.ACTION_GLOBAL_BROADCAST" to tasker,
then I have managed to add a task with Secure Settings to allow screen & keyboard lights
on for 1 second, which actually works with the front camera :slight_smile:
I have set the main display settings (android tablet) to 30 seconds to sleep if device is inactive.
which does not actually work because the tablet is still detecting motion.?

Can someone explain what to do if I need to add another task to end the Secure Settings task?
It would be so useful if someone could explain and list just simple steps just for waking up the device,
and if no interaction put it to sleep again.

Also how do you get SmartTiles to work without a browser? in video below there’s no Google Tab page,
or Chrome page showing at the top? is there a special way to add URL’s?

Please can someone add easy steps for idiots like me… Thanks

I’ve not used Secure Settings so I don’t know. If you want to have the screen wake up with motion and turn completely off then you can follow e10trans directions in post 52. It requires replacing the stock firmware.

If you can live with the screen dimming and not turning off, you don’t need to replace the stock firmware. Instructions for that are here: FAQ: Affordable Hardware Dashboard

Has to be in a browser; people use browsers that offer a full screen or kiosk mode. I use Kiosk Browser, but Dolphin seems to be a popular free choice.

Hi roofone,

You and e10trans are the best, :smiley::smile:

I saw e10trans post and thought it was for the fire kindle only?.
I only have android standard tablet, but I followed the instructions and the screen awakes
by motion from the camera and goes off by timeout in main settings, which is perfect.
I have also installed Dolphin for browser which looks all OK to use full screen mode.
The only down side tonight is SmartTiles are off line down for few days
while they update the SmartThings cloud, so could’nt install App at present
but I’m all set up and ready to go… Thanks

Does this no longer work?
I can’t get this to work…

I even paid $3 for the motion detector app.
Your Turn Screen link is dead, I used the one below:

Finally got my tablet rooted and installed CM. Before following above steps. Is there free alternatives apposed to motion detector, tasker?

Is anyone using a browser that runs in the background?
I am finding that when the tablet goes to sleep or whatever, it won’t load the video streams and sometimes gets stuck reloading when I wake up the tablet.

This may have to do with your device turning off WiFi when the screen turns off.

Grabbed myself a wall mount for my kindle fire from another thread on here, the followed the steps to get the motion detection turn on working… flawless. I’m happy and my wife even digs it!

Awesome! I have mines up and running for a couple days now, the wife loves it too.

thanks for the info setting this up. Used the supplied instructions and I think it all works so far.

I am using the dolphin browser. When motion is detected it does not seem to open smoothly seems jittery and have a slight screen flash. I am also using a fire tablet.

I have not spent enough time with it yet. But will the screen turn it self off after a set amount of time of in activity?

Another question. What do you do about it not detecting motion when you walk up when no lights are on and motion detector can’t see you? Is there a way on it to setup another action via screen tap? Or something.

I’m using both ‘Smart Screen On’ and ‘Gravity Screen’ to help with this kind of thing. I only set it up once so far. So, I’m no guru on either, but if you have any general questions, I can try to at least point you in the right direction if nothing else.