How do you control a Nexia thermostat with a SmartThings hub

I just turned the schedule on my thermostats back on. I already had a home/away virtual switch on ST, I guess I just have to do the same on Nexia and link them with IFTTT.

Is there hope that you’ll get this resolved?

I have followed the instructions above to the letter and I am still unable to get Smartthings to talk to my Nexia 1050 thermostat. I get no temp display and the only control that somewhat works is the thermostat mode switch. I have great success installing quite a few smart apps and device handlers, but this one is killing me. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Sorry but I really don’t think I can give you any help. I struggled trying to get it set up and only documented the steps I did to finally get it installed.
Gary

Thanks for the reply.

It’s not just you. I’ve had it for a long time and it’s not working.

They changed something on the nexia side that seems th have hosed the device handler.

Sort of. They hosed the control of the thermostats. But the status and temp settings still get reported. Its weird, I know, but I can still see the temp/humidity/mode etc from SmartThings.

I will have some time after next week to take a look if someone doesn’t get to it first

Mine is reporting status of the device but temp display and control is busted.

It looks like they (Nexia) changed the underlying web page for thermostat display just enough where the regions don’t match up so the DTH can’t find what it’s looking for.

I wonder if this is Nexia trying to get people to pay the $10 per month to access SmartThings through them? That’s a ridiculous price to pay for access to those “premium” features. Makes me very sorry I paid for the 1050 thermostat instead of having my AC guy put in something compatible with SmartThings.

Doubtful. The changes they made on thier end actually make thier UI much nicer and more stable.

They’re just not concerned about nor do they test for compatibility for people automating thier website In an unapproved fashion.

Source: I’ve been in IT/software support for well over 15 years… If I were them, I wouldn’t be concerned about breaking the DTH either. :slight_smile:

Aaaaand as to the thermo. You lose a lot of functions to American Standard/Trane units that use these thermos if you switch them out because of the two way digital communications. (I’ve researched switching mine out to both Ecobee and Nest)

I bought my HVAC before I started down the HA path. Had I known then what I know now, I would have gone with a different manufacturer that doesn’t lock you into thier thermo.

Ok, there were multiple issues, but I think I tracked them all down. I’m able to install the thermostats as before, see and refresh their status, and set the temperature. They made changes in their URLs, and also added CSRF header requirements to their PUTs.

4 Likes

Yep – that’s what I was seeing. But, I’m ot nearly as quick at the code as you are Ed. J

I updated from repro, (seems this is SmartApp only – no DTH) then went into the Smart Apps portion of ST and Opened the Nexia App then Saved. Thermo popped right in and is back under control.

Great Job. I owe you a(nother) frosty beverage.

-nac

Awesome! Thank you so much! It works great!

Thank you, I am back up and working again with this version. Thanks again for sharing with the community.

Working great. What exactly does the frequency selection control, and what are the benefits or negatives of choosing a frequency of one minute over thirty minutes?

Also, is there any way to control permanent hold and run schedule?

I put the frequency update in because some people were not seeing updates on a regular basis. It shouldn’t be necessary since smartthings should automatically update every 20 minutes or so. It really is a redundant feature that I think works but I’m not even sure to be honest. Sorry, I haven’t looked into the scheduling options at all.

edk208, would you or someone on here mind telling me how and where to load this script to get it to work on my ST?

New guy here. First of all, thanks to all of you for sharing. I’m in the same boat as nathancu WRT being locked in to Trane thermostats. Bought a 1930’s house a couple of years ago with steam radiator heat, and added two heat pumps for summer cooling. Heat pumps have the 824 thermostat on them, boiler has old Honeywell mushroom thermostat. Am researching to see what I want to replace the Honeywell thermostat with. No other smart devices in my home, at least not yet. What I WANT is to be able to do is If-Then the 3 units so that when the outside temp falls to 32 or below, the boiler supplies the heat, above that, the heat pumps do. Oh, and avoid paying $10/month for the capability. I can’t imagine that I could do that through Nexia if I simply added an 824 to the boiler. This thread makes me think I can execute my if-then conditions, but it will take some effort on my part. Am I correct in my conclusion that I can’t do my if-then through Nexia, and that I can using a Smart Things hub? Am considering using Mozilla’s Things gateway…

Yes, it will take some diy, but you can absolutely do it in SmartThings
Install a compatible smart thermostat on the boiler that works with ST.
Get the boiler thermo working with ST
Setup the smartapp in this thread for your Nexia thermos
(you should now have all three thermos in ST)
Setup webcore
Write a custom piston in webcore to direct coordination of the three thermos.

No need for Mozilla here. Why add yet another hub?