How do you build a custom smartapp to use Telnet?

I have a pioneer AV receive 1021-k. The kids always leave it on, and its a huge power draw. I found this on the web:

How do I integrate this into Smartthings.

Hopefully some of the master coders will answer.

Meanwhile, there is another option which is if the model is one that can work with a harmony hub, you can use the harmony to control the pioneer and use SmartThings to trigger the harmony actions.

https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/compatibility

You probably wouldn’t want to go that route if the pioneer is the only thing you would use it for, but if you had other reasons to use the harmony, it could be a good solution.

Thanks. I am about to give up on the entire home automation thing. Its nothing but disappointing. Everything outside of flipping a switch is not possible (over simplification I know).

As usual, lawyers and financial guys are keeping us 30 years behind where we could be with technology. Now you have the absolute idiocy of a process patent, and its all gone to crap.

1 Like

The short answer is you can’t. Telnet isn’t available via smartapps. Trust me I wish it were as I’m using SSH and telnet to control my Lutron devices. Unfortunately this requires a separate server (raspberry pi in my case). I know some people have found ways to control AVR’s but I haven’t looked into how they’re doing it. I feel you pain. Good luck.

There’re plenty of integration options available, if you care to do some research. Unfortunately, SmartThings does not support basic TCP socket communication protocol (a.k.a. Telnet). The most common work-around is to use a custom proxy using either Zigbee (e.g. SmartShield) or HTTP (e.g. Raspberry Pi or NodeMCU).

2 Likes

There is no technical reason Samsung cant enable Telnet on Smartthings, with or without SSH.

That may or may not be true I have no idea. I wish they would but sadly they have not thus doing what you’re asking is impossible unless you’re willing to use a middle man of some sort.

Again, I respectfully disagree. Unlike HTTP connections that are transactional in nature, Telnet connections are not bounded in time, i.e. the open sockets can linger for hours and that was probably the main reason this feature was never implemented, particularly in the resource-constrained V1 hub. The V1 hub cannot stream data, which is what Telnet is essentially for.

Let’s also remember telnet is an extremely insecure protocol that transmits everything in clear text including usernames and passwords.

Stream data? You pass a few codes that are tiny.

You can make a telnet connection with a timeout or you can terminate it explicitly.

Again. If the device you trying to control uses telnet, then smarthings isn’t introducing anything new. It’s already enabled on the end device.

Just excuses. They don’t do it for non technical reasons.

You talk about one specific use case, which may work for one device, but not another. That’s why I said it’s not trivial. Anyway, I’not trying to convert you and you’re certainly entitled to your opinions. I’m just trying to give you a perspective of a long-time user who’s been using SmartThings for almost 3 years and who’s not entirely happy with it either.

2 Likes

I think @geko is right actually. For example the Lutron Hub runs a telnet server that is always on and streams everything that happens and accepts input to trigger things. Because ST was built to be a cloud based system I don’t think they want these sorts of local connections staying open. It just isn’t how ST was built. Again I agree it sucks but I don’t see it changing.

Then it works for some devices, fine with me. Its progress. It is trivial, its been around for decades, and technology that old can be implemented with minimal hardware and effort. In fact, I would wager the hardware in Smartthings can do Telnet out of the box, and they have disabled it.

“Again I agree it sucks but I don’t see it changin”

Which is why, just like Blue ray in computers (took so long to decide on a standard, USB overtook it before it was adopted in mass), it will never take off. Something will come along that works better.

As it is, I am not recommending it to anyone. Its is a hobbyist niche and i have too many hobbies to put more time/money into this one when I dont think it will ever work to my satisfaction.

In the OP you asked for a Pioneer AV receiver intergration. This is probably as niche and hobbyist as it gets. Name any other home automation platform in $100 price range that has it out of the box. :smiley:

1 Like

I need telnet. That’s all it would take to control my AVR. It’s just one more thing in along list of dissapoinents.

I work in IT, telnet and telnet over SSH is ubiquitous.