How do you add a second account?

Is it possible to have 2 accounts on the same hub? Example being my roommate having his own ST account linked to our hub so he doesn’t have to be on my account on his phone?

See below, understand however that there are no permission levels in SmartThings. The second user will be able to see and do everything you can see and do.

Ya, that’s fine. All of this stuff is for his benefit anyway.

Follow up question though. I can see my phone on ST. Like if I’m home or not. How do i add another phone to it? I can’t seem to find that either.

I guess to make that simpler… how do you add someone to the “family”?

If you just want your roommate to be able to turn specific devices on and off, but not change rules or schedules or delete devices, you can use one of the third-party dashboards on his phone.

The most popular is probably action tiles. It started out as a free version, but it now has a $24 license fee. There are still many people who use it and like it, because it has a lot of features, including the ability to limit just which devices each person sees. Action tiles will run in pretty much any web browser, so it will run on most smart phones.

There are also some free community versions that you can take a look at to see if you like this better. You can use the quick browse list in the community – created wiki in the project report section and look on the dashboards list. Anything you see that mentions “smarttiles” is the older version of action tiles, and that is no longer available. But there are other dashboards as well that I worth considering.

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=How_to_Quick_Browse_the_Community-Created_SmartApps_Forum_Section#Quick_Browse_Links_for_Project_Reports.2FQuestions

1 Like

to use his phone as a presence sensor, you have three options.

1) The official SmartThings mobile app

Get him his own smartthings account.

Invite his SmartThings account as a guest to your account

Open the SmartThings app on his phone, sign in as him, and then follow the following instructions:

https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-us/articles/200292279-How-do-I-add-my-phone-as-a-device-

2) use life 360

A popular alternative that doesn’t require having the smart things mobile app on his phone is to use the free life 360 service. There’s an official integration with SmartThings for that.

https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-us/articles/202334244-Connecting-Life360-with-SmartThings

3) use IFTTT presence to turn on a virtual presence sensor in SmartThings

This one is a little more complicated to set up, but some people like it for housemate situations because it doesn’t let you track the other person, it just indicates whether they are home or away. ( Life 360 is a service intended for families and so you can check on the other persons location throughout the day)

You can read about details for this and other options in the presence FAQ

1 Like

I may look at those dashboards later for ease of use. For now, I’m fine with him being able to change things. I trust him not to.[quote=“JDRoberts, post:6, topic:90647”]

1. The official SmartThings mobile app

Get him his own smartthings account.

Invite his SmartThings account as a guest to your account

Open the SmartThings app on his phone, sign in as him, and then follow the following instructions:
[/quote]

This is the option i was looking for. Thanks @JDRoberts, you’re always a big help.

1 Like

Its too bad that your first method doesn’t work, at all. You cannot add a second user, I mean, you can add one, but that person cannot sign in or access the hub or do anything. And then, you cannot delete that user once added, I mean, you can try to delete the user, but they don’t actually get deleted or go away. Smarththings mobile app functions are a lot like the “close door” button in an elevator… they are there to make you feel better but they don’t actually do anything.