How do we know what runs locally on V2 hub?

Is there a list of what runs locally on a V2 hub?

1 Like

Yes just found it. I am using three IRIS Open?Close sensors with the IRIS device type and it was running in the cloud. I changed the device type to ST open/close sensor and it is now local. I hope it doesn’t screw things up, but seems to work just fine. My biggest problem is the IRIS Keypad it is running in the cloud and since there isn’t a local device to use it remains there.

Not that I know off. But I can provide one for you here.

Hello Home
Weather Station
Hub offline notifications
Low Battery notifications
SmartThings SmartLights App & Smart Home Monitor

And any routines you build using the routine screen.

No smart apps that I know of run on the local hub.

1 Like

I have four Iris open/close running the default ST type and they work great. And yes the links are posted all over the place for local running apps and devices, glad you found it!

I have the Everspring Flood detector and it doesn’t show local but it was installed from ST MarketPlace. So I installed it as SmartSense moisture detector and it shows up as local. Do you think it is a good idea to change it so it is local?

Depends on what you do with it. Switches that are local using the smartlight app from ST will still work if your internet connection goes down. Most of my stuff uses apps that are not local so it’s moot to me. I’ve noticed the light’s on the local app respond a bit quicker but that’s the only other real advantage I know of.

This list is incorrect. Routines (formerly called Hello Home Actions) cannot run locally unless the devices that they include also run locally.

No notifications run locally.

Smart lights and smart home monitor are eligible to run locally, but again, every device included must also be eligible to run locally.

So, for example, if your routine or smart lights includes a Hue Bulb, it will not run locally.

I would be very surprised if any Weather station ran locally.

In addition, if your Internet connection is down the mobile app on your phone will not be able to communicate with your hub, so the former hello homepage in the mobile app (now just called notifications) will not be updated until the cloud connection can be reestablished. ( it is technically possible to have a phone connect via LAN to a local hub, for example staples connect does this, but smart things does not use this architecture. Their mobile app only connects through the cloud. )

Support can confirm any of the above.

I wonder if there is some confusion here between “running locally” which in this context means “does not require the SmartThings cloud to be available to the hub” and “connected locally” which would mean connected via LAN. For example, the hue bridge is connected locally, but does not run locally.

The community-created wiki has the links that you need to check exactly what is available to run locally on your own account:

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=FAQ

1 Like

Sorry but I never trust a Wiki page. Here are the links from Samsung Support. In addition if you log into the IDE go to my locations & list SmartApps everything under the Hello Home Section Runs locally. This is according to an email I received a while ago from support. However you are correct in stating the mobile app will not work I should’ve clarified that.

https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-us/articles/205956960-What-happens-if-the-power-goes-out-or-I-lose-my-internet-connection-

everything under the Hello Home Section Runs locally

Well that’s not really true, I have things listed under Hello Home that use custom smartapps and devices and they sure do not operate when internet is down. The routine may run, but that doesn’t mean it’s dependents run.

1 Like

Yes you are correct I’ll try to clarify. When I’m speaking of certain things that run locally I am speaking of some routines you have already configured prior to loosing connectivity. This means once the internet goes down things like your lights will still go on at a certain time. However you will not be able to log into your hub or make changes without the internet…

Your choice on using the wiki or not. :sunglasses: It was created by and for the members of this forum, but if you’d rather search the forum, that’s up to you.

The two links you gave just say:

Some of the processing that has previously existed in the cloud, like for SmartApps and device types, now automatically occurs locally in the Hub.

Which is true, but doesn’t really answer the OP’s question.

As far as this:

As far as I know, this is only true if all of the device handlers referenced are eligible to run locally. It may be that at the time you were talking to support, those were the only devices you yourself had operating.

But @slagle or @jody.albritton , Who are both SmartThings employees as you will be able to tell from their avatars, can confirm if this is still true.

1 Like

We’re definitely working on getting you guys some explicit documentation to create some clarity around what can and cannot run locally on your Hub. I know that @slagle made some mentions of this a while back, and maybe he can weigh in on where that project is at right now.

JD has things right for now, but we are working to add more functionality.

Here are a couple of helpful links for you guys:

https://graph.api.smartthings.com/localInstalledSmartApp/list

https://graph.api.smartthings.com/localDevice/list

These will list your locally installed SmartApps and devices respectively. If your device or SmartApp doesn’t show up in that list, it’s not running locally.

2 Likes

Thanks Chris for the clarification when I spoke of routines I was speaking of routines involving of lights & locks. And I don’t have any SmartApps installed other than Rule Machine so the only thing showing in my local device list is Zwave lights & locks.

OK I have a question! I installed the Everspring Flood Sensor from the Marketplace as a supported device, so why isn’t it run local? I am not sure if I change it to Smart Sense Moisture detector it will work, or I will break something. I think I know why I can’t change it as it is a Z-wave device and the SmartSense is zigbee. But it should be run local.

1 Like

Wow! That was fun to read… Kind of like walking into a brick wall… On purpose… More than once… Whew!

1 Like

Got my answer from ST:
Thanks for contacting SmartThings support! Unfortunately the Everspring Flood Sensor can only be stored on the cloud. The only devices that can be stored locally will be devices we have been specifically programmed to do so.

1 Like

I keep looking over this answer and it confuses me as I have an Aeon 5th Gen Siren and it is also installed through the Marketplace and it is local, so why not the Everspring Flood Detector since it also was installed through MarketPlace? What makes one device from the MarketPlace different than another. It is crazy that alarm stuff is in the cloud as it should be run local. I have IRIS Open?Close sensors which I use the SmartSense Device type and it installed local. So this is very confusing as why one and not the other? I looked at the notes educational but no answers.

Also I looked at my Smart Apps IDE list and none are running local I would think something would be. Strange to say the least. If someone has an answer I would appreciate it. Thanks.

https://graph.api.smartthings.com/localDevice/list

Try this one

Yes I know that but it doesn’t say why a device isn’t run local since it should as it is Marketplace native app.

1 Like

Just because it’s in the marketplace doesn’t mean it will run local would be my assumption. Even if they all should, any other smartapp or cloud only service accessing it would pull it from that list. I have no local smartapps, but do have many local devices. I don’t believe that’s true really, as anything controlling them OBVIOUSLY is coming from the cloud based smart app’s. Make sense?

When I used only smart lighting and had a few smartthings devices and cree bulbs, all showed local in their respective lists.