How do we know what runs locally on V2 hub?

Devices on the local device list are eligible to run locally, but as you note they actually will run locally only if the smart app using them is also running locally.

As far as which device handlers are eligible to run locally, Smart things staff has previously said that they’re basically reviewing them one by one. There isn’t a group which is all eligible. So just being in the marketplace isn’t enough. That particular device handler has to have been individually reviewed and approved by SmartThings, and that process has been moving pretty slowly.

1 Like

I would say at a “glacial pace”, but these days that doesn’t mean what it used to.

2 Likes

Here is the answer from tech support.
Thank you for contacting SmartThings! I apologize for the mix up and will by happy to answer your questions. Anything that is designed to alert you when something is wrong (such as a Flood Sensor) needs the Network to send the notification to your phone. Without a network connection a notification has no way of getting to your phone, so a flood sensor that can’t notify you when there’s a flood isn’t very practical.

I hope this answers your question. If you need help with anything else just let me know.

Bullpucky!

There are dozens of use cases for safety sensors that don’t require push notifications.

If my garage or basement is flooding (e.g., water heater leak), I’d be quite satisfied with a local automation that flashed the bedroom lights so that I don’t wake up to face a disaster. I might even choose to activate my local Z-Wave Alarm / Siren device. (EDIT: Or, as helpfully noted by @csuk from SmartThings… turn off a local Z-Wave whole home water valve or something – the very use case that is the legendary one that inspired CEO Alex Hawkinson to found the company…).

While it is true that SmartApps that explicitly or implicitly make use of cloud services (e.g., push notifications), that’s no reason to throw the baby out with the floodwater and not make a local device type handler for popular models of Flood Sensors and include it in the local firmware, so that these could be used with properly coded local SmartApps using only local alert devices.

:confounded:

1 Like

What the Support Agent might have been getting at is that the network is needed to get any kind of notification, and he/she certainly could have been more clear about that.

While it’s true that the network is necessary to get a notification, the Everspring Flood sensor is something that really SHOULD be running locally (as @tgauchat pointed out), especially if you have it tied to a water valve in case of leaks or a siren or something like that.

Each additional device that supports local execution requires us to load that device type onto the Hub itself via firmware update. Firmware updates are tough to get out, but we are working on improving local execution. However, I don’t know anything about the status of this specific device.

2 Likes

Thanks for the concurrence and status, Chris. I appreciate hearing that my comment was understood in context.

Cheers! …Terry.

I just received another corrected responce:

I apologize for the mix up and wanted to follow up with you. While the network is required to receive push and SMS notifications to your phone in the event of an incident, I can certainly see how local automation in conjunction with other devices, such as alarms and sirens, can be a very practical solution. At this time the Everspring Flood Sensor isn’t able to operate locally without the Hub being connected to the network, however a future update or even a custom device type may be able to get it to run locally. I will definitely pass this feedback along.

Can someone more knowledgeable answer what would be special about the device type to make it run on the V2 hub?

There’s nothing special one way or another–they just reviewed some device handlers initially, approved those for local operation, and now the review process is going pretty slowly because fixing the scheduler is a higher priority and then they want to improve the process for distributors local device handlers.

@slagle might be able to say more.

Thanks, I just thought it was something we can do in the community to make it run local.

Nope.

The big hangup is that under the current architecture, any device handler that is eligible to run locally has to be pushed out to every customer’s hub as part of a hub firmware update. Obviously there are a lot of potential issues with that, including the fact that you couldn’t fix any problems with that device handler without pushing out yet another firmware update. This is a real problem. So they have significantly limited the number of device handlers which are approved to be part of the hub firmware for now and they are working on a better way to do it.

1 Like

JD is right partly. It hasn’t been put on hold, but we are looking for a more efficient way to do it. But yes there is nothing special about a SA/DTH that runs locally. :slightly_smiling:

2 Likes

OK, I changed “put on hold” to “going pretty slowly.” :wink:

2 Likes

Perfect! :wink:

1 Like

ST experts/members…

A. Can someone pls suggest how to setup my smart home monitor is running locally. So that I can use my smartphone to Arm when there is an server(s) outage ( hub, smartapp, mobile connection)

Conditions:

1. No internet connection ( disconnected model cable to wifi router)
  2. wireless router is up and hub is wired to it.
  3. i have connected my smartphone to the wifi

B. I am trying to install my "Smart Home Monitor " locally. I setup SHM to have just alert with light and siren ( removed push and text alerting as it needs cloud) .

Here is what i see in Installed SmartApps.

Solutions:

Smart Home Monitor Update
Security Update
Alert with Lights Update
Alert with Sirens Update

In the localInstalledSmartApp/list, i see this, wondering why i am not seeing Smart Home Monitor" as well, instead it list just the two child items.

LocalInstalledSmartApp List
Installed Smart App
Alert with Lights
Alert with Sirens

Unfortunately, at the present time there is no way to arm or disarm smart home monitor if the SmartThings cloud is not available. Routines do not run locally. And the mobile app cannot talk to the hub unless the cloud is available. So it will just stay in whatever armed state it was in at the time that the outage began. :disappointed_relieved:

The smart apps that run locally seem, from a glance, to be only the ones that use local devices to act on local devices. Seems that if there’s any other factor involved, such as a timer circuit (“keep the light on for 9 minutes”), it runs in the cloud.

I just changed all my Cree bulbs to “smart dimming Outlet” and indeed they are now running locally.

Thanks. I configured SHM to send alert siren and light, from the console i see it is running locally. Also tested to see if that works, 1. Armed the SHM, 2. disconnected the Hub from internet 3. opened the doors. Now the siren goes on. As the hub is offline, i have to press the button in Siren to mute it. It would be nice if the App/hub communicates and allow to arm/disarm when internet connection is not present. ST… long way to be Pro Security system.

1 Like