I apologize in advance for my ignorance, but let me start by asking the most general question here: “How does does all this work?”
Let me follow up that question with a few details regarding my situation and what I’m trying to accomplish with ST:
- I’m a new homeowner and have been looking into getting a security system for my house.
- My house is pre-wired with an ancient security system that I would like to be able to monitor and manage from a computer and/or mobile device (without having to pay a monthly service fee, obviously!)
- Along with the security system, I’d like to have the capability to add additional functioning devices that can also be remotely managed, such as door locks.
- I’ve read through a few topics already and believe that this seems fairly plausible, but I’m not entirely sure on where to begin.
- I have no “scripting” nor “engineering” skills. I mention this, because I was getting lost and discouraged while going through many threads that were referencing “coding” or “sketching”, and redoing the wiring for the alarm systems, etc.
Any guidance/assistance/references would be greatly appreciated, as I know how annoying it probably is for a newbie to ask (what can seem to be) the most simplistic questions. I can try to provide additional information or specifics on my equipment, if necessary, upon request. Thank you in advance!