How do I add a custom device handler?

Purchased 2 Aeotec KeyFob remote control ZW088. Within 5-6 days of no use the battery is already at 30%

The manufacturer has sent a file and the following…

“If using the original device handler of Key Fob, it is set to have Wakeup which will deplete battery life, we always suggest that Wakeup should be disabled with this controller so that Key Fob does not automatically drain its battery power.

Please install the attached custom device handler.”

Can somebody guide me how to do this please?

Have a look here :slight_smile:

Andy

4 Likes

Very helpful. Thank you.

Hmmm. I’ve created the custom handler and published to me but when I go to the iOS app I can’t see it anywhere.

A device handler will not show in the ST app, only SmartApps will. When you install a device handler, you will need to assign it to the device if you already have it paired to ST. To do this, in IDE, the same place you added the handler, you can go to my devices, find the device you want to assign it to and edit that device. When you click on Edit, look for the type field, it is a pull-down menu, any device handlers you have added will be at the very bottom of the list. Select the device handler you added and then click update on the bottom of the screen.

5 Likes

Brilliant. Sorted and thank you.

So just to confirm I won’t need to delete and re-add the device again I can just edit it and change the handler from that menu?

Confirmed… no need to remove the device from ST and add it back.

Thanks again for your help. Saved a lot of head scratching.

JDRoberts has put together an excellent FAQ which you saw above

Here’s another guide with step by step instructions on how to install and update Device Handlers

RBOY APPS SmartThings

ST keeps changing the location and names of buttons and tabs (infact they different on different devices) so we try to keep this guide updated as much as possible.

1 Like

What do I select in the new app to pair if it is from a custom device handler. There is no option for a generic Add device in the new App.

Just use the Classic App. Chances are you’ll need to anyway if you’re wanting to use a custom device handler.

Ah Thank you so much. I was trying to avoid that. Brand new to Smartthings and I realize that the app changed recently? So I guess this feature will eventually show up in the new app too?

Hi dear,

How to pair the device? I wasn’t able to pair it, I was only able to create the custom handler in the IDE and them from the IDE I could create a new device but it seems that my physical device never gets paired.
A little help please!

What device are you trying to add? Which app are you using… SmartThings Classic or SmartThings (Samsung Connect)?

But assuming you published the device handler in IDE, you should use the Classic app and just click on Add a Device in most cases and it should find it. Using create a new device in IDE will not do it.

I am trying to add Qubino Flush 2 Relay and using the Classic app.

However in the logs it seems that the hub can not see the Qubino device and they are just next to each other.

!

You may want to try a general device exclusion on that device and then attempt to add it. Use the classic app at this point.

Hi @jkp thanks for the help!

I was working with the devices in 24VDC. Although the user manual says it support that voltage there were no way to exclude or include the device.
I switched to 220VAC and i have succeeded using the instructions of @wgmcg in the following post.

Qubino and Smartthings

Now I have a new problem, I can only manage this devices with the Classic App. They show up in the new version but I can not do anything with them. The app just say “checking status”.

Any suggestion?

Best advice is to contact the developer of any device handlers you are using. But there may be a modification you can make to the code to get it working in the STSC app. Read the following thread for info on how to do it.