How can vibration through smartthings multipurpose sensor trigger Alexa routine

I am new to smartththings field,
And I hope if someone can guide me to a step by step tutorial on how
Can a knock on a door/vibration with an attached ST multipurpose sensor trigger Alexa routine.

Knowing that I have ST multipurpose sensor, ST hub, and Alexa Echo Show 5

Alexa Routines can be triggered by motion and contact events from ST. The multi sensor has a contact sensor but I’m not sure if Alexa sees the vibration as a open/close event. You would need to test that by seeing if you can tie that in.

If not, you can make a simulated contact and use the popular rule engine webCoRE to open/close the simulated contact based on vibration events from the real sensor. You would then use the simulated sensor to trigger the Alexa Routine.

Just search for installing webCoRE. There’s a dedicated site and Wiki with full instructions.

1 Like

You don’t need webCoRE. A standard ST automation can trigger on vibration and control a simulated switch.

3 Likes

You are correct.

I abandoned the New App Automation Engine because I found it not to be reliable. Also, the history in the New App doesn’t give you much information. Most of all my Rules are in webCoRE with medium logging enabled.

YMMV

1 Like

Thank you for your reply
Can you please describe how can I create a simulated switch using vibration to trigger Alexa routine to announce that there is a knock on the door?

1 Like