Honeywell WiFi Thermostat Setup Guide

Honeywell - Total Connect API - Setup Guide

`

*** Update - I’m no longer seeing a reason for this setup guide as Honeywell has made available native support for the Total Connect / Total Comfort thermostats. Please check your ST app for the new options. ***

`

Hello All,

I’m providing these instructions for adding your Honeywell WiFi Thermostat to SmartThings, because there didn’t exist a comprehensive guide. I’m assuming the general audience has installed a SmartThings Device prior. If you haven’t, there are plenty of easier Devices to start with before attempting this one. However, I tried to make it as clear as possible.

1. Open the following URL/link in your web browser: https://github.com/lgkahn/honeywelltotalapi/blob/master/TOTAL%20API%20V6 and copy the Honeywell Total API code. I like to click on the Raw tab and then select all and copy it from there.

2. Next, open the URL/link: https://graph.api.smartthings.com and log in. Then click on My Device Handlers

3. Click the green button called Create New Device Handler, then click the From Code tab and paste the code you just copied from step 1, then click the blue Create button at the bottom of the page.

4. Now click My Devices (top of the page) and then click the green New Device button

5. Fill out the following fields:

Name: Honeywell WiFi <- the name isn’t vital. Type what you like.
Label: Honeywell Total Connect API <- also not vital. Type what you like.
Zigbee ID: N/A <- ignore. You do not fill out this field as it’s not a Zigbee device
Device Network ID: 123456 <— This one IS vital. To get this, see instructions below.
Type: Total Connect API <—You must choose this. It was at the very bottom of the list for me.
Version: Published <— choose Published
Location: MyST Hub Name <— just click the drop down and choose your hub.
Group: MyThermostatRoom <— Choose the Room your T-stat is located in. Not vital

1. Click the blue Create button

2. Once you’ve done that, go to your smartphone and open the SmartThings app. You should see your new device in the the My Home >Things list. It’ll have the name you chose above. Now tap on the device.

3. Choose Edit Device in the upper-right corner of the app (the 3 vertical dots).

4. Fill out your Honeywell Total Connect username and password that you normally use.

5. Make sure the Device ID number is there. If not, fill it in. It’s the same as the one you already listed in step 5.

6. Finish filling in the remaining fields for, Sensor, type of temp degrees and Time Zone. You probably call just leave them as-is depending on your location. Now click Done.

Ok, that’s it! It should work now. You may have to exercise some patience as it may take time to propagate the changes. You can refresh the thermostat screen by pressing the Refresh button. Or just try tapping some of the buttons like Auto and Off to get it to update.

I hope this helps everyone!

How to get your specific Device Network ID:
Log into the Honeywell website Total Connect portal like you normally would to control your T-stat. Once you’re on the main page where you see the overview of your thermostat, look at the URL in your web browser. The 6-digit number in the link is what you need. e.g. “https://mytotalconnectcomfort.com/portal/Device/Control/123456?page=1” Copy that 6-digit number and use it as your Device Network ID in step 5.

10 Likes

Nice job Bob! I just put in a Honeywell RTH9580 a few hours ago! Your instructions made it a lot easier. :wink:

1 Like

Hi N8XD. I’m really glad you got it working and happy I could be of help. :slight_smile: Thank you for sharing.

Quick question here. Everything worked fine except the timezone part. When it has a - in front of the number it tells me it must be greater to or = 0.

Same issue here. I ended up gong into the IDE and you can type in -6 or the appropriate negative offset and that worked.

ah, thanks! I’ll give that a try.

1 Like

Thank you!

I just installed a TH8321WF1001. These instructions worked perfectly, and everything appears to be working as expected.

I am all connected but im unable to do tempature adjustments via the total conncet code you provided any suggestions? looks like i just have the functionality to view and not to control

Hi David, I did not write the code, but took all the wide-spread info and
made it into one unified installation procedure. I can definitely adjust my
Honeywell WiFi with it. What you may have to do is give it a couple hours.
Sometimes, it take s a while to propagate. That happened for me and someone
else I know. Hope that helps.

Nice work & Thanks Bob! I had given up hope of getting my RTH9580WF integrated with ST. Instructions turned that into a 5 minute job!

1 Like

Awesome mcgoo22! Happy to help!

Thanks for the guide, SmartThings advises they are still testing this device on their end. I have 2 of these devices installed and am attempting to connect to SmartThings. I attempted the set up as suggested above and it shows up in the SmartThings App as a device, but no data comes through. I waited overnight for it to populate, but still not work. The only difference I had in the set up was that my device had 7 digits? Is it possible to be 7 digits, or is there a digit I should be dropping? Thanks.

mine are 5 digits so anything is possible I guess :slight_smile:

This is the ONLY explanation that has ever been simple enough for the average user to use. Well done sir!

1 Like

Hello,

I am trying to connect my Honeywell RTH9580, however as I follow your guide, some of the options you describe, are not there. For example:

1. I can not find any place on the add device screen to paste the code into (from code).
  2. It has me fill in the data details before I hit Blue create button.
  3. I can not find in the “Type” section, Total Connect API (list is alphabetical, not in the “T” section, also not on the bottom).

I am new to this, so I’m sure I must be doing something wrong, but it is not apparent to me. Did something change in the new update that has changed the way this is accomplished? Thanks in advance for any help provided.

Thank you Curtis. Years ago I used to write setup guides for another company I worked for, but I was in support. I’m really glad I could help.

Superbob, are you able to help with my question?

You need to create a Device Handler, not a device. That should fix your issue.

Great, how do I do that?

Same website you were at earlier, here is a direct link. It is best to familiarize yourself with it.

https://graph.api.smartthings.com/ide/devices

click on “Create New Device Handler” then you will see “From Code” and from there you can paste the code.