HomeSeer HSM200 (device type Handler in post 9)

Anyone tried using this device?

My situation is this…I have a simple z-wave outlet that runs a UV light filter at a vacation home. We don’t leave the UV light on when we’re gone so as to extend the bulb life and save power. The trouble is that the light is down in the crawlspace and is a bit of a pain to verify whether it is on or not. Obviously one can look at their SmartThings app to check the status…but not everyone in the home is connected to the app. Ideally, I’d find some sort of button that also includes a status light where the whole thing could be set up such that the status light is active when the UV is on and the button acts as an additional controller.

This HomeSeer product is close, considering that if it works with ST I could set it up to glow green when the UV is on…and then I could just get a zwave remote to offer additional control of the crawlspace outlet.

Anyone using this? Or…anyone have another idea for a solution?

Thx!

I just found this in another thread http://www.amazon.com/Aeon-Labs-DSC06106-ZWUS-Z-Wave-Energy/dp/B007UZH7B8

I was going to use this to trigger a small led light to tell me my heat cables are on.

Hmm…similar idea for sure. I just need the indicator light to be able to be located on an entirely different floor than the UV light. Just need some way to tell if the outlet/light is actually ON, for those that are in the home and don’t have the SmartThings app. The search continues…

Plug a night light into a Zwave outlet. When the Uv lamp draws power have Smartthing turn that outlet on. When people in your house see that light they can then use a switch to turn off the Uv lamp. (just an idea)

1 Like

+1 plug in a lime-green nightlight into a Zwave plug.

But the occupants should not have have to think about it or see it. You can turn it off from 1300 miles away, and it’s on an occupancy smartapp anyway, so 10 minutes after they leave, the filter plug is turned off. You can prove it by looking at the power consumption on the plug.

This is a vacation home, let them be on vacation

1 Like

You can take out your Zwave outlet in the crawlspace replace it with a regular outlet and http://www.amazon.com/Aeon-Labs-DSC06106-ZWUS-Z-Wave-Energy/dp/B007UZH7B8

Take that Zwave outlet to where you want the light and your done.

Thanks guys…I think we’re circling around a solution here. Maybe it is as simple as just using the built-in SmartThings Modes. Essentially I could get a new outlet for the nightlight and just trigger it AND the UV to turn on when “home” and off when “away”. I don’t want to be turning the UV on/off too much and wearing out the ballast.

In this scenario I’d just need to decide on the best way to toggle between those modes for non-app users. Maybe the Minimote? https://shop.smartthings.com/#!/products/aeon-labs-minimote

Perhaps could just set up one button for “Home” and one for “Away”?

I do really like that little indicator, though. Much smaller than an outlet module and a night-light and it could easily be moved around a house. For me, it is a device looking to solve a problem…just don’t know what that problem is yet. Although, having a nice little light to indicate a mode or all the doors are locked is way better than reaching for your phone. In our house, we try to make it so you don’t have to reach for the phone, unlock it, open the app, scroll to what you want to see, etc. This little light is WAY easier.

I am working on the Device Type Groovy code for the HSM200 (aka EZMultiPli Express Controls) at

But I need more help on writing Groovy which is new to me…

I want to buy the EZMultiPli sensor, but looks like there’s lots of confusion out there. Will it work with SmartThings 2.0 Hub right out of the box? Or, does it need Home Seer and special code?

It will not function as desired out of the box. @DrZWave’s code helps control the functionality within the device, but I have been unable to figure out a way to integrate it within a SmartApp (such as, turn the LED to red when motion detected or similar).
I would LOVE for someone to figure out how to allow it to function with the Smart Lighting SmartThings app…this would be very useful!

1 Like

Send in a request to ST to get them to push the EZMultipli publish of my Device Type code higher in the priority list.
It’s been in their queue since April and it’s now Nov! Come on guys… just push the button and publish it!

I have two of these working this way, what trouble do you seem to be having?

I have one in the garage as a nightlight. When it detects the garage lights being switched on the LED goes off. After 10 minutes of no motion it turns off the garage lights and turns the nightlight back on.

The other in the kitchen turns on the LED when it senses motion, but only in the evening.

All done through SmartLighting, using @DrZWave’s device type. Granted I’m not setting color, but I do see an option to “Turn On and Set Color” under actions. I just tried it - looks like SmartLighting is only sending SetColor to the device if you select the “Turn On and Set Color” action. Sounds like this could be some type of bug, I’ll try to do some more testing this week.

The issue is discussed pretty extensively over in here:

The issue was that Smart Lighting app sends its color values with setColor but uses hue and saturation. The device type in this thread was only written to work when setColor was sent with RGB values.

The referenced thread has a device type that will work when setColor is used with RGB, Hue and Saturation, as well as HEX color values. There are also some other modifications and fixes that are mentioned in the thread.

Thanks for the heads up!

@DrZWave This device handler is nice but I found one problem. if you put in a negative temp offset it reads it as positive. Any other handlers that will handle the temp better?

@erocm123 version supports negative temperatures.
I’m working to merge his changes in and get the Device Type published by ST - please let ST know you want it supported!

Curious, was this completed? My HSM200’s register about 6deg higher than they should… and putting in a “-6” for adjustment and hitting the configure button doesn’t seem to correct them… ? :frowning:

Just me?

You have to put in -60 to adjust by -6 degrees F.

-6 will only adjust by -0.6F. The temperature adjust is in 1/10ths of a
degree to allow it to be adjusted with more precision.

See the user manual at: http://www.expresscontrols.com/products

Negative numbers do correctly translate to the proper 2-complement value
so you can adjust by negative numbers just fine.

Eric

1 Like

Ahh! It figures it would be something simple that I just overlooked!!

Common logic made me believe it would be more intuitive to have -6 = -6 and -.6 be -.6…
At least I know now! Thank you!