[OBSOLETE] HomeSeer HS-WD100+ and more (Simple DTH in post 27, advanced feature DTH in post 32)

[Y] - Basic physical switching of lights at the wall
YES - ALL HA SWITCHES DO THIS

[Y] - Connectivity and control of switch through SmartThings App
YES - ALL HA SWITCHES DO THIS

[Y] - Voice Controlled switching (if Amazon Echo, Google Home etc… is setup)
YES AND NO - NOTHING TO DO WITH THE SWITCH, THIS IS YOUR HUB/SYSTEM.

[N] - 2 & 3 Tap Scene Selection (I’ve read above in the previous posts there needs to some code written for this)
YES - CODE (SMARTAPP) IS ALREADY MADE AND FREE, JUST NEED ST TO WHITE LIST IT SO IT’S PLUG AND PLAY AND READILY AVAILABLE, AS OF NOW YOU CAN EASILY DOWNLOAD AND ADD IT YOURSELF.

***The only thing nicer about these Dimmer/Switches is the added Tap Scene control is built in the hardware code, this seems to work much better than using a DoubleTap or DoubleDuty SmartApps that allow all other standard HA switches to do the same. Compared to the standard GE/JESCO type HA Switches and Dimmers, this seems to work far superior in performance and seems to have a better feel and look. Plus these are firmware upgradable, thus if there ever happens to be a major change, you can just flash it. You can install one of these next to a GE and the normal user would not know the difference. The key is the dimmer version, I know of no other brand that can do multi-taps via the above apps, they simply confuse ST with dimming presses for the light, the HS-WD100+ knows when to smartly switch between dimmer mode and multi-tap mode. For the money for a dimmer, this is the top version for nearly the same price.

1 Like

Just wanted to add two points of clarification.

Combining Dimmer Switches and Smart Bulbs

You should never use a dimmer switch (smart or not) to control the current to a smart bulb. That will indeed cause problems.

But it’s just fine to use a smart dimmer switch to send a wireless command to the hub and have the hub send a wireless command to the smart bulb and get dimming that way. There won’t be any confusion between the two devices. From the bulb’s point of view, it’s no different than using the mobile app to dim.

So if you are using the central scene command set features of this switch to control dimming of a hue bulb rather than direct current flow, it should be fine. That’s not really any different than using a minimote for it. Or creating a virtual three-way using trendsetter or a similar smart app.

SmartLighting and Button Selection

Sadly, the last mobile app update broke smartlighting as far as selecting which button on a multi button device to use. At least for some devices, and I think for this one as well, if you going to set up a new automation, you won’t be given the button number field choice. You just get to select the device and it only pays attention to the first button

Obviously, this is not good, and support says engineering is aware of it. But I did just want to mention it in case someone tries to re-create the screen posted up thread and can’t do it right now. :disappointed_relieved:

2 Likes

Interesting… I hadn’t heard this. I just checked this and it appears that SmartLighting now pays attention to how many buttons are set for the device via the device handler (as documented) numberOfButtons attribute. For devices that have this set, Smart Lighting will now list out all available buttons to perform actions on. If the device handler does not have the numberOfButtons set, SmartLighting appears to assume only one button. Prior to this change, SmartLighting assumed 4 buttons, regardless of how many buttons the device handler advertised.

Since the WD100+ and WS100+ device handlers have the numberOfButtons set, you can now choose any of the available 6 buttons for double/triple tap and hold actions in SmartLighting.

2 Likes

Works like a champ, just tested it out on the button 5 and 6 actions.

2 Likes

Okay, so this is a surprising bug that smartthings would not have updated built-in device handlers, but whatever.

I just also verified this in the following way, one of the few custom devices that I have that have multiple buttons, is the 3 Button Remote (ZBWS3).

I verified that before my changes smart lighting does NOT allow a selection of which button, and after I changed the device handler it does allow me to choose any of the 3 buttons.

I added the line
sendEvent(name: “numberOfButtons”, value: 3, displayed: false)

to the configure function of my copy of the device handler.

Then I had to install the simulator in the IDE in order to re-run the configure method, which normally only runs when the device is first paired to the hub.

Then went back to smart lighting and checked that in fact, button pressed/held shows 3 buttons as options.

2 Likes

@Darwin @dalec and everyone else…

I’ve been messing around with the Ramp Rate duration settings for my lights for a while.

My goal is to balance the fastest click to full-brightness possible while still being able to dim by holding down (yes I know about double click)…all about WAF

I.e. If you set everything to 1/99 for the settings it will turn on quickly but be impossible to dim…

TL:DR post your Ramp Rate numbers please!

I never changed mine from default.

I am pretty new to SmartThings and just set up my first HS-WD100+ device today.

I installed @Darwin’s custom device handler as well as @dalec’s Button Controller Plus, and everything works fine except that I cannot get any physical double/triple-tap or hold events to register.

I can trigger the events virtually using the Darwin’s UI on my phone, and when I do they correctly trigger actions in Button Controller Plus. But if I try to trigger them on the physical switch they simply fail to register (and don’t show up in any logs either).

Does anyone have any idea what’s wrong?

BTW, my switch is reporting firmware version 5.16, which is newer than I’ve seen mentioned anywhere online (including the HomeSeer site).

Also, in case it helps, here is the Live Logging output when I press the “Configure” button (cleaned up slightly):

Parse returned [name:indicatorStatus, value:when on, isStateChange:false, displayed:false, linkText:Dining Room Chandelier, descriptionText:Dining Room Chandelier indicator status is when on]
ConfigurationReport ConfigurationReport(configurationValue: [1], parameterNumber: 7, reserved11: 0, size: 1)
zw device: 02, command: 7006, payload: 07 01 01
Parse returned [name:indicatorStatus, value:when off, isStateChange:true, displayed:true, linkText:Dining Room Chandelier, descriptionText:Dining Room Chandelier indicator status is when off]
ConfigurationReport ConfigurationReport(configurationValue: [0, 3], parameterNumber: 8, reserved11: 0, size: 2)
zw device: 02, command: 7006, payload: 08 02 00 03
Parse returned [name:indicatorStatus, value:when off, isStateChange:true, displayed:true, linkText:Dining Room Chandelier, descriptionText:Dining Room Chandelier indicator status is when off]
ConfigurationReport ConfigurationReport(configurationValue: [0, 3], parameterNumber: 10, reserved11: 0, size: 2)
zw device: 02, command: 7006, payload: 0A 02 00 03
Parse returned [[name:switch, value:on, isStateChange:false, displayed:false, linkText:Dining Room Chandelier, descriptionText:Dining Room Chandelier switch is on], [name:level, value:41, unit:%, isStateChange:false, displayed:false, linkText:Dining Room Chandelier, descriptionText:Dining Room Chandelier level is 41%]]
zw device: 02, command: 2603, payload: 29
Parse returned [name:indicatorStatus, value:when on, isStateChange:false, displayed:false, linkText:Dining Room Chandelier, descriptionText:Dining Room Chandelier indicator status is when on]
ConfigurationReport ConfigurationReport(configurationValue: [1], parameterNumber: 9, reserved11: 0, size: 1)
zw device: 02, command: 7006, payload: 09 01 01

http://status.smartthings.com/ SmartThings had some issues yesterday I think which may have been your problem so try it again today? What I did to help train my family on using the double, triple tap, etc is to open the mobile app and have the @Darwin device open so that they can watch the change register on the app. Once the app is open I would press and HOLD the Up (or down) paddle to see that mobile app shows it received that correctly and it displays on the screen. If it does then you can try the double tap and don’t go too quickly say two taps over one second.and see if the mobile app registers that input from you. Give ST a couple seconds between trys as you are learning the best speed for pushing the toggle taps. All your successful attempts will show up in the RECENTLY tab log.

Thanks for your reply, @dalec. Unfortunately, nothing I do on the physical switch registers on @Darwin’s device on the mobile app — not even single-tapping or holding a button.

If I single-tap or hold one of the physical buttons to turn the light on or off or change the brightness, the physical light fixture immediately responds as expected, but the updated state is never reflected on the device’s “Right Now” tab (and nothing appears on the “Recently” tab) until I force a refresh by pressing the “Configure” button.

Just want to make sure you have the @Darwin’s device loaded correctly and assigned to your WD100+

Can you verify that on the mobile app your screen looks identical to the one below? This screen capture is from the previous iOS version. So all your multi-tap configurations in Button Controller Plus are being triggered when you do it manually from this screen but NOT from the hardware switch?

Just installed Darwins custom Device Handler and set the option for Double Tap to Full Brightness. Doesn’t seem to be working correctly. When I hit the button in the app I see it registers the button presses but the lights do not turn on to full brightness, and if they are on, the do not change to full brightness. I set up the Double Tap Down to 10% brightness via Smart Lights and it works great, just wondering why I can’t get Double Tap Up to Full.

Also, might I recommend building in the option for Double Tap Down to set a low dim level? Then I probably wouldn’t even need a smart app at all.

My optimal settings:
^ = On to last dim rate
v = Off
^^ = On to Full/Set to Full
vv = On to 10%/Set to 10%
^+hold = increase brightness
v+hold = decrease brightness

I’d also really love it if they implemented a way to control the LEDs. I’d like them to display only for a short time when turning the switch on/off or setting a dim level and then turn off after X seconds. I don’t like them on all the time.

Here’s a screen capture from my phone:

That’s correct. Same goes for physical up/down holds.

Nothing I do on the physical switch ever registers on this screen (although it does update when I manually refresh by tapping the “Configure” button).

Could someone summarize this in the top of the thread? There is great info in here including links to the device but it’s hard to find so it would be great if someone familiar with the thread could summarize it at the top! :slight_smile:

This is a new one! There may be something with the 5.16 firmware that is causing issues specifically with the device handler, but if you are not seeing any logging with any physical presses (including basic on/off operations?) until you hit the configuration button, that could indicate a basic issue with the device connectivity with Smartthings. Unfortunately HomeSeer has yet to post the 5.16 firmware, so I am unable to test with it. Does the mobile app trigger basic switch operations such as on/off and dim? Are any on/off/sim physical actions at the switch reflected on the mobile app? Are you seeing any errors in Live Logging? Do you see anything in live logging when you physically turn the switch on or off?

A couple of things to try: 1. Remove and re-pair the switch (bonus if you could PM me live logging output that includes the pairing process) 2. Kill and re-start the smartthings mobile app. If even basic on/off/dim functions are not working, change the device handler to the generic Z-Wave dimmer type from the IDE and see if it behaves any better.

I’ll double check with HomeSeer to see if I can get a copy of the 5.16 firmware.

You caught me. Pressing the double tap-up button in the UI does not currently trigger the device handler preference to set the switch on at full brightness. Long story (and I knew it would come back to bite me), but that preference option only responds to a physical double tap at the switch. Does physically double tapping the switch set it to full brightness for you?

I’ll look at adding a double tap down preference option to set the switch to 10%. And maybe enable the double tap to full brightness option for the virtual UI button if that is causing grief.

I was pondering this myself. Since the original thread was started as a general discussion about the new switches, and since arguably the device handlers are in beta, would it make sense for me to start a new WD100+ and WS100+ release thread when the initial 1.x release of the device handlers are ready? I know HomeSeer has an updated firmware version pending that may affect a few things, and there is the potential for another device handler update based on a couple of user requests.

The links to the device type handlers are already in the title of the thread. Has another one been added since then? If so, the author should start their own author thread for that device type handler. :sunglasses:

Yes! :sunglasses:

You can also go ahead and add one now and mark it [BETA], many people do.

It would Go in the following section of the forum:

https://community.smartthings.com/c/projects-stories/community-created-device-types

2 Likes

It would be nice if the double tap responded the same way in the app as the physical switch. I assumed the button in the app sent the same communication as the physical switch would. (I only came across the issue as I was testing remotely; I will make sure and try the switch tonight)

It is not a necessity as I can accomplish the task with Smart Lights; more of a nice to have. Like I said, if it was included in your options, I may not even have a use for Smart Lights.

Thanks for the quick response, and all your work on this device handler. A new thread dedicated to the handler is also be a great idea.

1 Like