HomeSeer HS-WD100+ and more (Simple DTH in post 27, advanced feature DTH in post 32)

So close! Try putting a += instead of an = on the creatEvent line and you should be good to go. I’ll add double tap down to dim as a preference option in the next device handler update. Sounds like a useful and easy to implement capability.

I believe the keyAttributes 1 value is intended for the release action, but in my testing with the early firmware version it was unreliable at best. When I originally checked, release did show as an action using the HomeSeer controller software, but there may be a good reason I haven’t seen this advertised. I will test enabling this again when HomeSeer releases their next switch firmware update.

I plan on submitting these DH’s after I get a chance to test/update for HomeSeer next firmware update - hopefully soon.

2 Likes

Care to share your Lowes inventory trick? :slight_smile:

Quick question on the difference between the WS and WD: I plan to use these to control smart bulbs, and not connect the load output of the switch. Is there any practical difference in how a press & hold action is sent and interpreted by the hub from each model? The reason I ask, is that I prefer the clean look of not having any indication LEDs on the switch, and since I’m not controlling a local load, why pay more? Can the WS be used as a good virtual dimmer with 0-100 dim level reporting, or would I be better off with WD?

Additionally, if I need to go with WD, I really like the suggestion above of having an option to have the indicator LEDs only come on for a short duration during manipulation and then stay off, or even disabled altogether. Would this be something that could be accomplished via device handler or is it a firmware issue? Thanks!

WS=Switch
WD=Dimmer

The toggling/tapping between the two seems to be the same, but much faser than the GE version of the switch using DoubleTap or DoubleDuty SmartApps, the GE dimmer version has no tap capabilities. The GE is like 1-and-2, whereas these are 1,2 or 1,2,3 (very rapid). Also more tap option choices, GE/normal types really only one with apps. GE was the standard, these should now be your top choice, very flexible.

@JDRoberts has some experience in other button type devices you might consider since you are not planning on controlling a load directly. I will let him chime in here.

The homeseer switches are the only ones that I know that have triple tap.

The battery operated remotec is popular for control of smart bulbs. It has eight buttons, and each button can be single tap, double tap, or long hold. So that gives you 24 control options from a device that’s about the same size as a standard light switch. Obviously, it doesn’t control the load since it’s battery-operated, but it works well with smart bulbs.

More about this and various other button options, some wall mount, some handheld, in the buttons FAQ:

The Linear/gocontrol WT00Z1 is also popular for wireless control of smart bulbs if you want a mains-powered option. It’s intended as an auxiliary switch, so it doesn’t control the load, but it is wired to power. It’s a Z wave device so it sends a message to the hub which then sends a message to the smart bulbs. Noticeably less expensive than a master switch. However, it doesn’t do double tap.

https://www.amazon.com/Linear-Z-Wave-3-Way-Accessory-Switch/dp/B00EAY3K5Y

Thanks for the replies! I guess I need to be more clear on my question: How do the HS-WS100+ and the HS-WD100+ differ in how they send, and how SmartThings interprets, a press and hold event?

There is a technical difference because the WD switch is a “multilevel switch” and can use those command sets while the WS is a “switch binary” which only uses on/off or the central scene number.

That said, homeseer has implemented this in an unusual way. They actually define the dimmer switch as two different devices, one that handles central scene commands and one that is the regular multi level switch. I’m not sure if this distinction was implemented in the SmartThings device type handlers.

In Any case, here’s the tap behavior:

The dimmer switch can receive a set level command. The binary switch cannot.

If you press and hold the binary switch for two seconds, a central scene number is sent to the hub. Holding longer won’t make any difference.

If you press and hold the dimmer switch, it will locally change the dimming level based on how long you hold the switch. I don’t know what happens to the status at the hub, if it will show the change in dim level or not.

So the two switches do have somewhat different behaviors for the press and hold. That’s the distinction between a multilevel switch and a switch binary in Z wave.

http://products.z-wavealliance.org/regions/2/categories/5/products?company=398

1 Like

Would someone here be so kind as to post a video of these switches/dimmers in action with ST? The very few videos I can find seem to be related to Homeseer usage and not ST. I’d love to better see how they work, including how the double trap and triple tap work.

Is anyone using a HS-WD100+ to dim a smart bulb like Hue? I would like to implement a way to have the bulb automatically sync and follow the dim level of the switch. It would also be cool, if the bulb were changed from some other input, to have the switch sync to the bulb. Anyone done something like this, and if, how? Thanks

1 Like

I use the Lowe’s price checking script mentioned in the Lowe’s website thread, under “deals,” to find stores where in stock Iris items are drastically reduced in price. If you’re lucky, you can get have them shipped at the listed price. But generally, these items are not available for shipping, so I select them for store pickup, regardless of location. Then once my order is ready to pickup, I call and explain that I can’t pick it up, but would be happy to pay for shipping from the store. I’d say I’m a little over 50% on getting them to help me out, in which cases I’ve paid $6.99 flat shipping every time. Otherwise they cancel the order.

Just to follow up my earlier question: I was able to get the WD100+ to act as a dimmer for my smart bulbs with the help of @eibyer using the following piston in CoRE:

IF
● LightSwitch level changes
THEN...
Using SmartBulb...
► Immediately set number variable {dimLevel} = $currentEventValue
► Load attribute 'level' from variable {dimLevel}
► Turn on

OR IF
● LightSwitch switch changes
THEN...
Using SmartBulb...
► Immediately set string variable {switchState} = ""
► Load attribute 'switch' from variable {switchState}

There is some delay but at least it works! I’m open to suggestions if anyone knows a way to reduce latency. Is the latency primarily there because of CoRE and the device handler running on the cloud?

My next question, how do I use the double and triple tap features in CoRE? I’m not sure what they look like or where to find them. I do have Button Controller Plus installed. Thanks

1 Like

So I am pretty sure I understand how the switch works from reading the thread.

My question just to verify my understanding.

If I operate the switch physically and turn on the light, and then go back and operate the switch again say single press up it will report the event to smartthings because the hub sees it as a button controller right?

Same for any of the other press combinations of up and down. The switch reports independent of the actual load state?

I just want to be sure before I order some when they get back in stock.

I also am ordering some of these (do not have them yet) and would like to use CoRE to control the double/triple tap. Im guessing that in CoRE we would call them as a “button” and reference the button number (listed on @Darwin 's site below). Perhaps @ady624 can confirm from CoRE side.

1 Like

One general question. If I order these switches and they come with some old firmwave. How would I upgrade them ? Or would I just RMA/return them and ask for the newer firmware ?

@Darwin absolutely awesome work. I was just deciding what switches/dimmers I wanted came across these. My only doubt was they weren’t going to work with ST. But thanks to you I can get them.

If I understand you correctly YES. I have one of mine in bedroom that actually has no lights connected directly to its LOAD terminals other than a outlet. I use a smartapp that monitors the button actions of the switch in that bedroom to control three separate smart bulbs individually based on how I am pressing, single, double, etc.

Yes. You can get the details on setting it up at a thread here started up by @bamarayne for getting assistance on CoRE applications that might help you best. CoRE - Get peer assistance here with setting up Pistons

2 Likes

@dalec Thanks for answering.

My question was the precursor for using CoRE or something to control a light. Say bathroom night light. So upon motion turn light on load wire (dim whatever) if someone presses button up, double up (whatever) override the nightlight timer logic and leave on.

Or use it to control a ceiling fan light. Then use multiple taps to control the ceiling fan. So if light IA already on. Multi taps up to adjust fan speed.

Just pondering , gathering information before I order switches. I currently have GE dimmers and they DO NOT report physical presses in on direction if the light (switch) is already on.

Thanks again.

1 Like

Sounds like a good use case. In my case I have the HS-WD100+ when I enter the room as well as the Aeon Minimote when I am at the bed to control the lights and fans. Of course CoRE will do it all or you can use the built-in SmartThings Smart Lighting app for doing the timer off function and motion on control. It can’t do the fan speed control so you would need a custom smartapp Button Controller Plus or CoRE.

1 Like

Thanks again for the confirmation.

I have used all that before so I think I have my head wrapped around how to do it. Just need to order some switches.

If I would have understood that the GE dimmers didn’t report and known about this switch I would have went this way from the start. Self education can be expensive!! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@dalec - Can you please explain a little further on how you are using the single press after the light switch is already on?

I’ve been using these switches/dimmers with Button Controller Plus, which gives me access to double, triple, and hold button functions. I’m also using CoRE to trigger actions from the switch turning on/off. How do I identify and make use of a single tap up when the switch is on, and a single tap down when the the switch is off? Thanks!