Home Automation Dashboard (HAD)

@btk: That would certainly be doable, but honestly it’s not on the top of my priority list. Currently, my primary goal is to make this much easier to install, so that more people can start using this app. I got side tracked with the styling changes, but that was only a days worth of work.

1 Like

@florianz I’ve spent so much time trying to “realize” and easy way of deployment. Anyone have any input?

One of my thoughts was during the SmartApp install you choose your devices, preferences etc and at the end it spits out the code you’d need to add to your .erb file. Then for the Heroku part some type of script that automates the install steps.

Does it have to be hosted on Heroku? The dashing code is just using Ruby and Coffeescript right? Could I just put it on my own server or machine or is there an issue with that?

Are you able to use the free Heroku or do you need to set up a paid account on it?

Morgan

It has to be even easier than that. You should be able to add widgets and setup your dashboards right from within your browser - drag & drop style. The SmartThings app should be published, so that people don’t have to copy & paste the code into the IDE. Lastly, the deployment to Heroku should be super easy, using a “Deploy to Heroku” button. So ideally, all people would have to do would be signing up for a Heroku account, and clicking a button to install the dashboard app.

Not at all, you can install it locally on your server, just like any Rails app. You’ll need to set the config variables in your server environment, and your server will need to be reachable from the SmartThings clouds / internet, so to propagate state changes to your dashboard. Just running dashing start in the hadashboard directory should get you 90% of the way there. You are on your own, though, since I don’t have a local install. Once you get it to work, maybe you can post some step-by-step instructions here, so others can try that as well.
If you deploy this to Heroku, the free instance is all you need. No need to setup a paid account.

1 Like

@florianz I’ll try and do a local install, but i’m going to set up the cloud install first. I’ll need to create a new VM on my local set up, so I can install rails and get it running without interfering w/ my other development. It will be a while, but when i get that running I’ll make step-by-step instructions for people to use that.

What tablets are people using for running this? I’ve seen Nexus 7, iPad… what are people having the best luck with ? I would be curious if there were pros/cons to any of the different tables for it.

I would imagine your options are best with Android and other than that, anything is fine. I still haven’t decided if I want to use my Nexus 7 or HP Touchpad.

My iPad is working fine now, I just figured out I can use “Hey Siri” from across the room to get info etc, and “Cancel” to go right back to the Kiosk showing the dashboard which is kind of cool. If only Siri would actually cooperate and talk to ST for me!

Thermostat ready for testing (I think!), I changed everything around so it should work for a standard thermostat now. Let me know how it goes/what you think. I have some ideas I’ve been messing around with, such as a pop out overlay so that the controls can be larger.

https://github.com/ronnycarr/hadashboard/commit/6537b0b58aa895a7ba654c242339374e97d650e5

1 Like

Exciting! Will test when I get home and finish whatever the wife asks of me.

So far so good. Thanks for your work

Glad to hear! The code is kind of crazy, I’ve been making a lot of changes. And of course, this is far from the only project I’m working on haha.

Florianz! Thanks for sharing your incredible work.

I have followed your instructions to the letter in trying to get my API up and running. However, I am not a programmer so I’m flying blind with a lot of this. The issue I seem to be having is at the end of your instructions. When I go to input the $ bundle command, I get this:

Mr-Nicks-Mac:sweet_dashboard_project mrnick$ bundle
-bash: bundle: command not found

Maybe I’m not in the right directory?

Also, I’m assuming that since the $ bundle command didn’t execute, going to localhost:3030 won’t work. Right? I assume this because after starting Dashing, Firefox doesn’t find the server.

Any help you can offer is very much appreciated!

Try this:

gem install bundler

Then retry your bundle command. You should be in the right directory.

You only need the bundler (gem install bundler) if you want to modify the gem dependencies, the ruby app is using. You mentioned you are not a progammer, so I highly doubt you will even need the bundler.

Did you go through the steps to deploy the dashboard to Heroku? You don’t need to bother with the local install. You will have to do a lot more work to get the SmartApp to talk to the dashboard app by making sure the app instance is reachable from the SmartThings cloud. You won’t have to deal with this if you deploy to Heroku.

Instead of navigating to the local URL, use the herokuapp URL to get to your dashboard.

Did you ever get this figured out…I am in the same position/spot. Would be great if the tile that opens/closes the door could display diff color, based on the multi-sense angle.

Ok here are some of my thoughts.

#1 - Why do all the ST device types have separate controls for heat and air the (+ and -)
#2 - Can we build into the dashing code if mode is heat then adjust heat if mode is cool adjust cool
#3 - If we can do #1 then I think we should be able to put this all and a 1x2 tile w/out needing the popup or transition

Those are some big ideas! Sorry, I know, had to.

Seriously though, I think combining them would be great! Should be easy, I’ll see what I can come up with.

Where is the tutorial for setting this up at ?

@thrash99er see @florianz git repo for complete instructions.

https://github.com/FlorianZ/hadashboard

I can’t get daydream to kick in at all when Firefox is displaying the dashboard…is there some “trick” or additional software required?