Home Automation Dashboard (HAD)

Can you link the tablet?

Thanks.

http://www.pcrichard.com/DQV/DQV-7inch-8GB-Tablet-with-Android-4-4-OS/3440D.pcrp?catId=701010

I got it for $30 because I went to the store and haggled. Great tablet and easy to root.

My dashboard is running well, but I know there have been updates, how do I tell when there have updates to the master branch so I can update mine? I’ve been watching this page from @florianz . . .but I see there haven’t been updates since nov 25th, is that correct?

First of all, I just want to say this is amazing. I had sort of stalled out on my home automation work because I felt so limited by SmartThings’ awful app, and I didn’t want to invest in $140+ in-wall scene controllers that could only do one thing.

But with a few hours of work last night, I have the beginnings of a dashboard going, and I too am planning on getting some inexpensive Android tablets and installing them at key locations around the house. I want to try to extend the Dashing functionality I currently see with things like:

1. Flash certain tiles red when events happen (e.g. if a door is left open for x minutes, SmartThings will send me an alert. I want o figure out how to tie that into the dashboard). AND play sound when certain events happen – there are areas of my house I can’t hear the doorbell very well, for example, and it would be great if the tablet could play an audible alert.
  2. Have the dashboard I’m viewing automatically change when certain things happen. E.g. I don’t need to look at my cameras all the time, but if someone rings the doorbell, I want the dashboard with the front door camera feed to automatically come up for 30 seconds, then revert to my default dashboard.
  3. Have modal selectors so every possible action doesn’t have to be visible. E.g., make the “Current Mode” widget tappable, and have it pop up a list of buttons to change to other modes.

Also, I’ve noticed a couple pictures of peoples’ dashboards where they have one tile “floating” down in the bottom right, without touching other tiles. How did you do that?

If anyone has any suggestions on executing these (or if they’ve been done already and I just missed them), let me know!

Wow it got quiet in here…anyone still working on this?

Has anyone who’s using virtual switches to emulate lighting scenes had a problem where the virtual switches remain “on” in your dashboard? I posted about it over on GitHub too.

Also, I’d prefer to run this in my own house eventually rather than on Heroku, but tile updates aren’t happening. I’ve got a test version running on my iMac, and the switch tiles for example never get updated if someone goes and touches the physical switch. But if I run the dashboard on Heroku, they work fine. I’m guessing I need to punch a hole in my firewall for that to work?

Isn’t this Topic deprecated and replaced with:

(If so, we can request closure of this Topic. – or correct me if I’m confused as to the various Dashboard(s)?).

This Topic is for the Home Automation Dashboard by @florianz not the Action Dashboard by @625alex

Ah… Thanks!

Is there a compare / contrast post… And Pin it :pushpin:?

Last I heard @florianz was working on a complete rewrite to make installation and customization easier.

@tgauchat it’s much the same as Alex’s however it takes a lot more work to get it setup. There were at one time some distinct differences but Alex has come along way in his. I still prefer HAD for my wall mounted tablet and computer use, but that’s likely because I have them setup and customized just the way I want them.

The one thing that stands out as a difference is HAD updates live with ST whereas Action requires the background refreshes.

@rogersmj I would say that all 3 of those are doable, but would take some work and programing to make it happen. dashing is pretty versatile from the little tinkering I’ve done.

Thanks, Matt.

Looks like there are a few active Forks: https://github.com/FlorianZ/hadashboard/network
Are all of these personal modifications? The main copyright has no redistribution rights…

Oh well… Alex’s seems to be the popular one at the moment, though it would be almost fun to figure out what’s “missing” from both of these and come up with something unique.

Yet if this code is modular, there must be a bunch of shared components that would be nice to see published as a toolkit.

Just thinking aloud.

…Terry.

Many people including myself have contributed to HAD to add additional functionality when @florianz first started it was pretty basic. It’s a great project with a lot of options. Unfortunately it currently requires patience, reading and some basic coding skills to get it up and going. It also relies on a server, luckily heroku offers that for free for small stuff like this.

If you’re up for it there is a lot of good information in these 715 716 posts. :slight_smile:

I have struggled with this. I believe there is some kind of race condition that makes it hit and miss whether the virtual switch gets turned off properly.

As a stopgap, I modified my virtual switch code to wait a second or so before turning off. It is more reliable but by the time the switch off message has been to the ST cloud, got scheduled and come back, it’s anything between 1 and 30 seconds.

I took a look at implementing a momentary tile for the dashboard but it turned out to be a little tricky so I have given up for now. What I have works … mostly :slight_smile:

I’m not sure if this can (currently) be done directly within HAD, but since you mentioned you are going to be getting some Android tablets, you can easily achieve the items highlighted above with SharpTools. Let me know if you would like additional details.

1 Like

Would be super appreciative if you could share the specs that you gave ponoko! @florianz

Sorry for being MIA lately. I am working on a rewrite to make installation easier, and not require people to touch a single line of code to set up their dashboards. It’s coming along nicely, but it’s a lot more work than expected: For one, Batman.js has been deprecated and doesn’t support the dynamism that I need. The new version will be using React.js instead, which requires a conversion of all widget views. The upside is that it will only require a single button press to install, and all the widgets are configurable from the browser.

10 Likes

Appreciate the update, and more importantly the hard work you have put in to this. If you need a beta tester, let me know :slight_smile:

Hi guys, how are you ? … I’m new here with basic code skills, however I’ve got everything working (great job on the documentation by the way) except from one thing that I really want which is to turn the entire widget background to green when the switch is pressed or a motion is detected, the version that I have changes the icon color instead of the widget background color. Can someone help me and show me the codes to achieve that ? Thanks @mattjfrank , I appreciate if you can help me… I saw that you are pretty active around here… :smile:

That is actually how it used to work. I was going through some of my manual backups to see if I had a copy of one of the widgets from then but I don’t. If I remember it includes changes to the css and coffe files. You may be able to figure it out by looking at the gitbub file history changes.

If you check one of my pull requests I created some theming code which would allow you to easily handle this.

Hey great work on the troubleshooting for switches, I tried them but still couldn’t get it to work right, my issue was that when I clicked on the tile the light would just go on then off or off then on but not stay in the opposite state. Then I came along someone that said there was an update to the "data-event-click=“onClick” data-event-touchend=“onClick” changing it to ClickableWidget worked.