Hey Manufacturers, Big and Startups - We Need This Zwave Product

You also won’t see very many Z wave devices designed for outdoor use because that particular protocol has a lot of issues with signal dispersion through rain or snow. It’s because of the messaging protocol it uses, FSK instead of DSSS. Sometimes a product gap is there for a reason.

For example, Qubino does make a Z wave weather station, but the sensors themselves don’t use zwave. They report to the base station which then communicates via Z wave with the main controller. That’s largely because of the dispersion issue. But that one is quite expensive and doesn’t meet your temperature requirements.

I’m not trying to defend anybody, I’m just saying there’s a reason why the particular specs you describe don’t generally match up with Z wave devices. The Z wave radio has a higher battery draw and the Z wave messaging protocol doesn’t do well with rain and snow.

There are inexpensive networked temperature and humidity sensors that meet the specs you list, going down to -40 Fahrenheit, but they aren’t using Z wave.

The ones which are most popular in the community are probably the Cao Kumo Wireless Tags. They can be integrated with SmartThings. But they aren’t using Z wave. Excellent specs, though.

So if something mains-powered with a probe will work, you may be able to use the Fibaro device.

Otherwise I don’t think you’re going to see anything Zwave that fits the specs you gave anytime soon.

2 Likes