Help with Viconics Contact Sensor

I’ve had these for a while, and have tried every DTH I could find, but nothing has worked with regards to registering Open/Close. Smartsense seems to be the usual go-to, but no dice…

They can pair, and a battery status is shown with a handful of DTH, but eventually go offline, never to check back in.

I figured I would eventually understand how to get them to work, but I’m not there yet.

So, here is a screencap of some info, if anyone has anything to offer, or would like more info, It would be welcomed and I would be happy to oblige:

Edit: Added text.

Name Thing
Label viconics test
Type SmartSense Open/Closed Sensor
Version Draft
Zigbee Id 001D350802585702
Device Network Id EBE1
Status ONLINE
Hub [Home Hub])
Last Activity At 2021-07-12 12:13 PM EDT
Date Created 2021-05-26 6:59 PM EDT
Last Updated 2021-07-12 12:33 PM EDT
Route [This Device (EBE1) ](↔ [Home Hub]
Metrics * Last Hop LQI: 0

• Last Hop RSSI: 0
  • Received Messages From Device: 0
  • Received Messages From Device (Duplicates): 0
  • Messages Transmitted to Device: 285
  • Messages Transmitted to Device (Failures): 284
  • Updated Time: 2021-07-12 12:26 PM EDT
    Data * endpointId: 0A
  • manufacturer: Viconics
  • model: WWS
  • zigbeeNodeType: SLEEPY_END_DEVICE
    Raw Description 0A 0104 EC00 00 02 0201 0000 01 0201
    Firmware Check Now
    Current States * contact: closed
  • battery: 100 %
  • checkInterval: 7260 s
    Preferences (edit Name Type Value

doorState 0
tempOffset number
wakeUpInterval 1
Execution Location Cloud
Events [List Events]
In Use By

I would continue using the SmartSense device handler.

One first recommendation is to examine your zigbee mesh because that is a likely area that is causing the issues you described. What is the distance from the devices to the hub? The screenshot above shows it is directly connected to the hub. Do you have powered zigbee devices that could act as repeaters for the viconics sensors?

1 Like

I’ve sort of been fixated on the the seemingly odd Raw Description, at least in comparison to others I’ve seen, but I don’t really know enough to make heads or tails of it.

I’ve made several attempts to modify the Smartsense contact sensor DTH, but no luck so far…

I do have one Zigbee repeater relatively close, but I’ll add another to see if that makes a difference.

Thanks for the suggestion! I’ll give it a try.

When you modify the smartsense device handler… it changes from Local execution to Cloud executIon.

Yes, it sure does. I’d prefer not to, so I’ll leave it alone for now

thanks again!

It just seems to be using the Basic and Thermostat clusters.

2 Likes

The only reference I’d seen to 0201 involved temperature. I’m guessing by basic you mean 0000?

Other than that, I get the 0A being the endpoint, and guessing 0104 is a profile ID…

So, with my limited understanding of clusters and that I’ve never seen 0000 used as an outCluster, do you think 0201 is a multiple point out cluster?

I could be way off base, but I’ve been digging at it ever now and again, but any insight is better than what I have at the moment.

what model is this visonic contact sensor? while there is one model that will use the smartsense dth, but the other model needs the other dth set manually in the IDE after pairing, i believe its something like tyson.

1 Like

0104 in that position just means it’s a home automation device. You should see that in most zigbee Devices that work with smartthings.

1 Like

The name threw me off a bit too… It’s actually Viconics, sold as Schneider Electric. I’ve use another MTH sensor made by Viconics, sold by SE and it has worked well with a generic DTH. Not to assume that this one will, as It seems unique.

The Tyson DTH is one that gives battery status. I might hack at that one a little.

here’s about all l can find, seems more like marketing:
https://www.viconics.com/product/54-obsolete-sed-win-sed-dor-series-zigbee-pro-wireless-switches-for-vt7000-series.html

Do you have a model number? Or an FCC license? Do you know if this is a ZHA, zigbee pro, or zigbee 3.0 device?

Yes, 0000 in the raw description is the Basic cluster which is just about device description.

The 0201 in the raw description says it is using the Thermostat cluster so I would guess it is looking at contact sensing from the perspective of a heating/AC system rather than a security one. The Visionic Room Controller DTH might provide inspiration as that does a lot with the Thermostat cluster.

1 Like

SED-DOR-P-5045 is the model number. It’s stated to be Zigbee Pro.

Searching for anything with FCC doesn’t bring anything up

Alright!

If I didn’t have ten of them and were not “mildy” afflicted by OCD, I’d not bother…

But I do, and I am.

Thanks!

You don’t need this now, but just so you know in the future, every radio frequency device sold in the United States has to have an FCC license and it has to be on the device somewhere. It’s often inside the battery compartment. Once you have that number, you can look it up in the FCC databases and find out the manufacturer and model number.

I don’t know of anything similar for the UK.

1 Like

Thanks. I’ve used the FCC data before to compare devices to see if there were differences between model numbers etc, but I never thought to actually reference an FCC number on the device to find the information.

It just goes to show how easy it is to overlook the obvious.

Thanks!

1 Like

Zigbee pro devices may require custom code.

Some manufacturers of Zigbee pro devices have them fall back to the zigbee home automation profile when joined to a ZHA coordinator like SmartThings. This is not always documented by the manufacturer.
Controlling such a device from SmartThings will almost always require a custom device type and not all device features may be supported. If you can get SmartThings to discover the device as a zigbee “thing” community members may be able to help further. But it will not be as simple as using a device which is officially certified for zigbee home automation. In some cases the device will join the network successfully, but then frequently disconnect and need to be rejoined.

1 Like

So far I’ve been doing it right. It shows up as a thing, anyway.

I’ve received some good leads, so far, and am much appreciative to everyone.

1 Like

I don’t think there is anything. Manufacturers generally self-certify for CE, and now UKCA, marks and supply a Declaration of Conformity with their products. Technical files must exist, but they are held by the manufacturers.

1 Like

This has turned interesting…

So, the Viconics Room controller DTH, that somehow I had overlooked, has within it the ability to control the wall controller/thermostats that I’m using with my LG mini split system. The LG branded controllers have a different firmware, but same device.

Anyway, I have been collecting this Viconics stuff because it gets liquidated by contractors etc occasionally, and I figured it would be fun tinkering for my system.

I have recently procured Zigbee cards for two of the five controllers

Anyway, not sure I’ll ever get my system integrated with Smartthings, but thought I’d follow-up with this revelation.

The contact sensors seem trivial now, but that’s easy to say. I should probably stay focused on those.

1 Like