I have had two breakins at our cottage property up north. I’m seriously thinking of using SmartThings to deter potential thiefs and then to catch them on camera if they do breakin. I’m not sure if this will actually work so i’d appreciate feedback.
Here are my requirements:
- ability to detect motion using multiple high end Optex motion sensors paired up to HinkVision IP camera
- Optex motion sensors don’t have IP capability so I would wire them into the alarm harness on HinkVision. Need quality sensors as false alarms would be problematic
- Hinkvision would then wake up and start recording (I would want this to then trigger action in the SmartThings Hub)
On motion detect/record from HinkVision, i’d want SmartThings to do following:
- Turn on some outdoor floodlights (hopefully spook the intruder)
- Turn on some interior lights
- Start recording on a cheap interior camera
If the door sensor is opened, i would want to move to a new action whereby an alarm would sound if correct sequence wasn’t enter in keypad (OR my smartphone was detected as presence).
Here are a few questions I have…
- DISARM/ARM keypad - I sometimes rent the cottage or have a couple handymen do work while not there. Is there a supported keypad setup I can use like with traditional alarm system. I don’t want to give out FOBs and my doors won’t support retrofittings new locks? has to be low tech. Saw some threads on this but didn’t seem to be officially supported?
- assuming a false alarm is detected (i.e. animal or neighbor cutting through property), how does SmartThings reset things back to normal away state (i.e. lights off etc)
Is above doable? My property is very remote so if they decide to breakin, cops won’t get there in time so it would be imperative to spook them and get as many pictures /videos as possible. Last breakin they hung around for hours drinking my booze and having a party!!