Help with alert set up........please!

I’ve been using Smartthings for a little while now and have everything from Door/motion/presence sensors to cameras and bulbs all working together beautifully.

The only thing I cannot figure out is the notifications alerts.
When I leave the house it auto arms (Away mode) i get a push notification to tell me so and if it gets tripped for any reason i get a push notification and a text alert. I’ve given Smartthings its own text alert (a nice loud alarm) - So far so good.

I’m trying to set the mode to Armed (Home mode) for when i’m asleep. I set it for my schedule so it arms at midnight and disarms at 6am.
So far I can figure out how to set either a push notification or text (or both) however i want the same set up as above. I either get a push notification telling me its active and a push notification to tell me its been tripped. No good as the notification is too quiet to wake me.
Or I get a text alert (loud alarm) and push message when its armed which does wake me put I don’t want this happening every time its sets itself to Armed (Home)

Is there anyway i can set this to a push notification when it arms/disarms but to ONLY sent me a text message when this is tripped? Works fine with Armed(Away) just not on Armed(Home)
Please give me a step by step if possible as i really don’t want to mess up the Armed (Away) settings.

Thanks in advance,.

I’m sure that’s very frustrating! Nothing worse than being awakened when you don’t want to be. :scream:

I’m sure we can help get it figured out, but we need a few more details. First things first… You’re saying “mode” but you’re giving the values for smart home monitor armed state. Mode and armed state are two different things. So it’s a little difficult to tell what’s being set automatically and what you’re trying to do.

See the following (this is a clickable link)

Then can you show us a screenshot of what you are using to automatically make the change? Then we could probably figure out better what’s going on. :sunglasses:

Hi JDRoberts thanks for getting involved!
Ok hoping this makes things a little clearer. -

"__he only thing I cannot figure out is the notifications alerts. _
When I leave the house it auto arms (Away mode) i get a push notification to tell me so and if it gets tripped for any reason i get a push notification and a text alert. I’ve given Smartthings its own text alert (a nice loud alarm) - So far so good. - State - Armed(Away) & Mode - Away

I_'m trying to set the mode to Armed (Home mode) for when i’m asleep. I set it for my schedule so it arms at midnight and disarms at 6am. _
__S_o far I can figure out how to set either a push notification or text (or both) however i want the same set up as above. I either get a push notification telling me its active and a push notification to tell me its been tripped. No good as the notification is too quiet to wake me. _
Or I get a text alert (loud alarm) and push message when its armed which does wake me put I don’t want this happening every time its sets itself to Armed (Home) - - State Armed(Home) & Mode - Home

What do you need a screenshot of exactly? I only ask as I’ve tried to set this from the Cog icon in the ‘Smart home Monitor’ screen and tried to add a new routine in the ‘Automation’

Thanks for the reply Robin but i’d like to try and stick with the native app if i can help it.

OK, for most things Smart Home Monitor doesn’t care what mode your house is in. It only cares about the armed states. It just ignores the mode all together. (Modes have existed from the beginning of the System; smart home manager was added in the fall of 2015.)

So for the purposes of what you are trying to do, the only reason that a mode would matter is if you are using a mode to control when a routine runs and the routine changes the smart home monitor armed state. Or if you were setting up a custom SHM monitoring rule (more on that later).

SHM Messaging for the Regular Armed Away and Armed Stay Alerts

Unfortunately, smart home monitor does not let you set different messaging methods for the different arm states.

It lets you change which sensors will be checked during a specific arm state. But there’s only one screen for setting up the push/text notifications for the regular arm state messages, so they end up being the same for any state. :disappointed_relieved:

But Messaging for “Custom” SHM Monitoring Rules Can Be Different

However, if instead of using the armed away and armed home SHM arm states, you set up a “custom” SHM monitoring rule, you can then use mode and you can give each monitoring rule its own notification setup.

So far, so good. However there is one problem which is that if you want to link SHM to one of the paid monitoring services, which right now means scout, scout won’t pay any attention to your custom monitoring rules.

But if these alerts are just for your own use, not for a third-party monitoring service, then you should be able to do what you want with a “custom” monitoring rule ( this is still part of the official SHM features, and support will be able to help you if you have any problems).

A Suggested Setup for Your Case: Armed Away Plus a Custom Monitoring Rule ( instead of Armed Away plus Armed Stay)

In your specific case, you would probably leave the regular notifications for the arm states the way they are now. You would leave armed away the way it is now. You would change armed stay so it will not use any sensors. Instead, you would create a custom SHM monitoring rule to notify you exactly the way you want on exactly the sensors that you want, probably based on mode.

I am tired now, though, so other people will have to help you with the step-by-step if you still have any questions.

Resources

Here’s the official article on how to set up custom monitoring rules:

And here are the screenshots for a custom monitoring rule with its own notification options:

3 Likes