Help with 3-way switch (Zooz Zen27) for a light where the power comes from the middle of the circuit (I think)

Hello,

I have a ceiling fan with a light on it. The ceiling fan is always powered and controlled using the chain on the unit itself. The light is controlled with two switches (3-way wiring). Because the fan always has power I’m assuming that the supply is from the middle of this circuit. I’m also assuming I don’t have a common wire on either of these switches.

I do however have a 2-way switch right next to Switch #2 that’s on a separate breaker! Can I use the common from that circuit for my Zooz Zen27? What would this look like as far as a wiring diagram goes?

Switch #1:
Black (C) and Red (B) on one side and White (A) on the other
(new users can only put one image in a post)

Switch #2:
Two Whites (E) and (F) on one side with Red (D) on the other side:

Both switches can be seen at https://imgur.com/a/5KBoOWP.

Tagging @TheSmartestHouse

2 Likes

In your switch 2 box I see a black wire coming in that is hooked to another switch. What does that switch control? Can you pull out the other switch and take a picture so I can see all the wires in the box? Is that switch on the same circuit breaker as the fan light?

3 Likes

Yeah, we would need to see the full picture in the double box, specifically where the black wire from your 14-3 (tri-color) romex (marked C in the other box) is connecting to since this will be crucial. Also, where is the F white wire coming from?

The best way to get quick and detailed instructions for wiring is to get in touch with Zooz support and send images from both boxes (the single box image you have will work) as described and shown here:

http://www.support.getzooz.com/kb/article/263-how-can-i-identify-my-wiring-for-my-zooz-s2-switch/

2 Likes

Yeah, we would need to see the full picture in the double box, specifically where the black wire from your 14-3 (tri-color) romex (marked C in the other box) is connecting to since this will be crucial. Also, where is the F white wire coming from?

Thank you for responding!

Here is a better view of the double box. I’ve labeled the wires with the same letters (D, E and F) from the original picture and added more labels (G, H and I) for the other wires not present in the original.

There’s three sets/bundles coming into this pattress box. The left one is on a separate breaker. The middle one looks like supply while the right one looks like it goes up to the light and other switch. The left switch is a 2-way. The right is a 3-way.

In your switch 2 box I see a black wire coming in that is hooked to another switch. What does that switch control? Can you pull out the other switch and take a picture so I can see all the wires in the box? Is that switch on the same circuit breaker as the fan light?

Actually it looks like that black wire goes up to the fan directly. I could probably use that as the hot wire for the Zen27? I don’t know.

I provided a second photo in response to @TheSmartestHouse here (in this thread):

Thanks for the pictures. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you have a power to fixture (fan) to switch to switch setup. The right 14-3 Romex (black, red, white) is going to your other switch and the middle 14-2 Romex (black and white) is basically cutting the positive side of the circuit sending line level voltage to your other switch and load to this switch. Long winded answer to say you have no neitral in either box which the Zooz and GE switches require.

Check out the 3-way FAQ for your options and other details but basically a relay in your fan canopy is your only option unless you go with something like the no neutral dimmers from Lutron Caseta.

1 Like

Confirmed, sorry you won’t be able to use the switch at that location!

You could use something like a Fibaro Dimmer 2 in the box with power since it doesn’t require a neutral either.